AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1CH from Newegg for $320. I've heard pretty good things about these speakers and am using them for a bedroom. What receiver would you all recommend for this system? I am not sure what is adequate or needed to make them sound good. The room is small and the system will be set up in an 18x12 area

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hard to say when you are not providing any sort of budget. The Onkyo TX-NR609 really did quite well when Bench Tested by Home Theater Magazine. I would personally go one level up to the 709 so that you get Audyssey MultEQ (2EQ does not apply filtering to the Subwoofer), and Preamp Outputs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I have no idea or knowledge in the audio world side of things. I know the ins and outs of computers and displays but know nothing about speakers and amps.

I am just looking for a good receiver that will allow these speakers to play at their potential. I know really cheap / bad receivers can really affect audio quality. At the same time, I'm not an audiophile and this is for a smaller bedroom / tv and gaming set up. So, those are my "qualifications" when looking for the right receiver.

Also, I'm not sure what Audyssey MultEQ or 2EQ are either or the difference with pre amp outputs vs non, hah sorry!

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Like Audiodork asked - budget?

Doesn't make sense to recommend a Corvette on a Chevette budget - eh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really wasn't looking to spend more than 300-400 for the receiver. That the onkyo 709 does look killer but $600 just seems a bit much. Is there something comparable for a lower price? Will I really miss out that much by not spending over 500? I could get it for $525 from amazon warehouse deals

Btw I do have a 3D TV. However, I'm not sure if that makes a difference as I will be using the display primarily with a computer

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Audyssey MultEQ is a Room EQ System that you connect a supplied Microphone from the Primary Listening Position and other Seating Areas in your Room and it handles Speaker Distance, Level Calibration, and if using MultEQ Filtering on both the Loudspeakers and Subwoofer.

There are several other competing Room EQ/Setup Processes many of which are proprietary to the Manufacturer. Examples include Yamaha's YPAO and Pioneer's MCACC. MCACC was the first such system introduced in AVR's.

I would check out Newegg this Weekend as they often have rather large Sales then. And as you have a 3D TV, you definitely want to make sure to get an HDMI 1.4 AVR as it will support 3D Passthrough to your TV. As it is the current Soec and has been around for almost all Brands for the past 2 Product Cycles, it will not be difficult to find one.

AD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, okay. Well thanks for that explanation! Sounds very useful, is that 709 around the starting price for models that contain features like that? I'll definitely keep my eye out this weekend to see if there are any good deals on the onkyo

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
The 709 uses the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and is more in line with the Denon 2312CI. If you need to stick with a budget, the 1911 will work just fine as it still uses Audyssey MultEQ but isn't a networking model like the 1912 which you should be able to get brand new for not much more than the refurbished 1911 by "calling" several on-line resellers that discount off MSRP including Electronics Expo, 6Ave, ABT, and of course AV Science.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSexyNinja
Is this comparable? Denon AVR 1911

It is a refurbished unit but its going for $280. Is the Onkyo 709 leaps ahead?
With it only having a 90 Day Warranty, I think it would be a terrible decision. Check out Accessories4less and Dakmart as both sell Refurbished AVR's with a 1 Year Warranty. AC4L sells Onkyo, Marantz, and Cambridge Audio and Dakmart sells Denon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the "Onkyo TX-NR708" much different than the 709? I see it at AC4L for $399

The DENON AVR-1912 7.1 is for sale at $389 on Dakmart.

Those both seem like decent deals.

@jdsmoothie, when you say by "calling" them for an additional discount, what exactly do you mean? I call customer service and just ask for an additional price reduction?

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
The 708 uses Audyssey MultEQ just as does the 1912 while the 709 uses the more advanced MultEQ XT. With Dakmart's poor resellerrating.com rating, I would not suggest using Dakmart for any purchases. By "calling" I simply mean to "call" them as they list MSRP on their website but will generally sell for 20-30% below MSRP if you ask for a lower price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hm, is that the main difference between the 708 and 709? Is it really worth the extra money to have XT? This is for a smaller bedroom and the primary function will be used for PC gaming and movies on my HD. I think I might just try to call AC4L and see if they can offer the 708 for even less.. but the price point is looking pretty good to me.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I've had both versions of Audyssey you are asking about. My short answer is - no. I owned an Onkyo SC-885 for some time then sold it and bought an Integra DHC 40.1. Both are pre/pros and do pretty much the same thing - the 885 had the XT version and the 40.1 I have now has the Mult EQ version. I suppose if you have a very difficult room to correct for sound reflections and peaks and valleys the XT might be 'night and day' different. In my home it wasn't.

As always YMMV.

Audyssey.com explains the different versions:

Flavors of MultEQ

Audyssey room correction technology comes in four solutions: MultEQ XT32, MultEQ XT, MultEQ and 2EQ. While they are all built on the same core science, each is designed to operate within the constraints of the available DSP processing power.

MultEQ XT32

Our newest and most accurate room correction solution with more than ten thousand individual control points allowing finer details of the room’s problems to be captured and corrected. The ultra high resolution filters are applied to all channels including the subwoofers, with the most obvious benefit being heard in the low frequency range where correction is needed the most.

MultEQ XT

Our advanced resolution room correction solution with high resolution equalization filters for satellites and subwoofers. Most products with MultEQ XT are installer-ready and can be calibrated by an Audyssey Registered Installer to provide even higher performance for even the most demanding large or odd-shaped rooms.

MultEQ

Our standard resolution room correction solution that uses mid-level resolution filters for satellites and subwoofers.

2EQ

Our basic resolution room correction solution that uses basic resolution filters for the satellites, but does not apply a filter to the subwoofers.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Just to point it out, some x08 Series Onkyo's have had issues with a IDE (Serial Cable) that causes the Remote Control to become not functional, cycling of Inputs, and eventually it could become inoperative.

Cruel thing is that it is a couple Dollar Cable that has caused problems for some. While not a huge percentage, it has been high enough that Onkyo is going to cover the Repair even out of Warranty, etc..

I personally own a TX-NR3008 and could not be happier. Most Owners feel the same. That being said, you really might want to read over the Owners Thread and read what 708 Owners have to say about it. I have not followed that Thread as closely as the 3008/5008, but the 3008/5008 is quite positive on the whole.

Truth be told, I am a big believer in spending far more on Speakers than an AVR. And as you have a bundled Speaker Package, perhaps it makes more sense to get something like the TX-NR609 as opposed to spending well over twice as much on your AVR as you did on your Speakers. Granted the MLT-2 does Retail for $1500 Dollars. However, it seems to have been steeply discounted for some time.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input! Well, I am not at all interested in having networking be part of the receiver, so that can take some $ off. It will all be running through a PC and I have everything I need a mouse click away.

The 609 fits better in my price range for sure. I am still looking at the denon 1911. It's becoming an attractive option at this point.

My one other question was regarding an earlier post saying the onkyo 709 had preamp outputs. What exactly does that mean? Does it make the 1911 inferior?

Edit: I can get the 1911 with a 1 yr full cover warranty extended plan from macmall for $312.98

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Preamp output jacks allow you to connect an external amp to your AVR for more power. A popular option is to use a 2 or 3 channel amp with an AVR for better power on the front soundstage. I'd put the 709 and the 1911 on equal footing - the 609 is a lesser unit IMO than those two.

The 1911 is a better AVR than the 609 IMO. They have differing Audyssey versions - the 609 has 2EQ and the 1911 has Mult EQ. That is what I think makes the 1911 a better AVR. I posted the different versions above earlier. Just think of networking as a freebie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.