AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the process of deciding on what reciever to go for to pair up with my SBS-01 system (Upgraded to the 12" woofer).

We play alot of Blu Ray so HD Sound Decoding is essential, the Audessey function of the Onkyo sounds very impressive but I do not know if it will offer a real world benefit over a good quality receiver.

Another essential is the converting of analogue signal to HDMI, this will mean I only need to run 1 cable to my AX200 Projetor which is a big plus!!

My room is not a huge room (only about 4.2m x 3.9m) but I do like my movies loud and impressive.

Main uses will be Blu Ray, PS3 (Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Car Racing Games), Foxtel HD and normal High Def TV. High quality music reproduction is not so much of a big thing for me however obviously I would like it

I am tossing up between a few amps, Mainly the Onkyo SR606, Marantz SR5003 and the Denon 1909. I like the reviews on the Yamaha V663 and I like the price but only 2 HDMI inputs bother me however if it will outperform the other 3 I will buy it.

I was set on the Onkyo until what hifi degraded it to only 4 stars and I read about the brightness in the treble at times and the PS3 issues.... Now i'm a bit off the idea of the Onkyo however a bit of reassurance would solve that.

Whichever provides the best balance between SQ and Feature Set is what I'm after, I realise at this price point I won't get the world...

Please help with your suggestions and recommendations!!

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
We play alot of Blu Ray so HD Sound Decoding is essential, the Audessey function of the Onkyo sounds very impressive but I do not know if it will offer a real world benefit over a good quality receiver.

In this day and age, room tuning like Audessey provides is part of a good quality receiver. Processing power has reached the point where doing automated room response, phase correction, and speaker level balancing should be expected.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's been many/any shoot-outs between the various room tuning software.

- Jasen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.