AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the receiver game, and I have been looking through the forums, but wanted to get more feedback for myself. So I have a PS3 and Xbox and HD diretv. I also have a HTIB Samsung HTX-50, I know you guys hate this stuff,so I need an upgrade.

Mostly I am pretty much concerned with my PS3 with blu-ray. My TV (KDS55A3000) can output 1080p/24p with all this other crap 120hz etc etc. I wanted to make sure my receiver can still get all this on picture when it passes through without any distortion or grain or anything affecting the picture at all.

With my current speakers or possibly new ones (preferably keeping the Satellite speakers) which receivers should I get? My budget is between 200-400. I do not want to spend a lot, but I do want some decent sound. I have good sound now, but I hear so much clamor about HD sounds for blu-ray.

I am leaning towards STR-DG720, but I hear a lot of hate for it. So what receiver would be good, but still keeping all my video clean and crisp.

I was going to get the Onkyo 606, but since the PS3 decodes internally already, people said that this receiver was not necessary and I could save couple hundreds.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another receiver you could check out is the Yamaha v663 (can be found for under $400 online).

However, IMHO, I think you'd be better off saving your money for a speaker upgrade, provided your current setup can decode Dolby Digital and DTS. Personally, I'd rather have a set of good speakers with the older DD and DTS 5.1 than the new lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD formats on HTIB speakers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I get new speakers will I hear a difference on my current setup?

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesabi /forum/post/14308880

Another receiver you could check out is the Yamaha v663 (can be found for under $400 online).

However, IMHO, I think you'd be better off saving your money for a speaker upgrade, provided your current setup can decode Dolby Digital and DTS. Personally, I'd rather have a set of good speakers with the older DD and DTS 5.1 than the new lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD formats on HTIB speakers.

+1, I have ps3 and Denon 2808 and I can tell a small difference using new HD audio codecs.

The difference you will hear with better than HTIB speakers will be huge. Frys has Polk RTi8s for $199 each. Not audiophile sound quaulity but a huge increase in sound quality over HTIB. You will need to match the center channel. Upgrade your sub. You could get away for awhile with the HTIB rears but the bug will be eating your up and will want to upgrade them as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have enough room for floor speakers, what are some decent satellite speakers all around?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts