AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a Speaker Setup (Athena Point 5 MKII's) and should be recieving them either today or tomorrow and I'm looking for a reciever to power them. I've been looking at the Pio VSX-1015TX but I've heard mixed things about it (Lacking in the Music Department?). I would like to stay under $500 and want atleast 3 Optical Inputs and would like to have 3 Component. Up-Conversion isn't a factor because other than my Dreamcast (Which I barely use) Nothing would be hooked up through Composite Video/S-Video at all. Its use is probably going to be chopped up evenly between Gaming/Music/Movies so it needs to accell in all fields. Other than the Pio VSX-1015 here's a short list of others I've been looking into.

Kenwood VR-9070 (I know it only has 2 Optical Inputs but everything else is there)

Onkyo TX-SR702 (Only 2 Component Inputs, Over $500 but heard decent things about its sound)

Onkyo TX-SR602S (Good value and great inputs but afraid it won't have enough to power my speakers)

Pioneer VSX-815 (Cheaper than the 1015 but its not THX and don't know if it would be a signifficent downgrade in AQ)

Yamaha HTR-5860 (Only 2 Componenet)

JVC RXD702 (Over budget and I would have to wait a couple more weeks for it)

I'm definetley open to other recievers than the one's I listed. ALL help would be apreciated as I am pretty much an Audio noob.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The Onkyo TX-SR602S would have no problem feeding your speakers. If you have a huge room, those speakers may be too small.

Pioneer VSX-815, don't worry about THX certification if the rest of your system is not THX certified.

I would also look at the Denon AVR-1906 (only has two optical inputs)

and the Harman Kardon AVR335 (only two component)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M
The Onkyo TX-SR602S would have no problem feeding your speakers. If you have a huge room, those speakers may be too small.

Pioneer VSX-815, don't worry about THX certification if the rest of your system is not THX certified.

I would also look at the Denon AVR-1906 (only has two optical inputs)

and the Harman Kardon AVR335 (only two component)
The room is the smallest of the house (10x11 at Best) so Its not very big at all. About the Denon, To me it looks like 3 Optical (1 Front, 2 Rear) along with 2 Coaxial and 1 Optical Out. The Price tag looks a little high ($550 is the cheapest I could find).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in your same situation and ended up with the Yamaha 5860 and I am loving it. I am an XM guy, so the built in tuner played a part. One thing I rarely read about on the 1015 that killed the deal for me is the front 'drop down' panel to get to key features. I would basically have to have that trap door open all the time, no way.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualSlash
The room is the smallest of the house (10x11 at Best) so Its not very big at all. About the Denon, To me it looks like 3 Optical (1 Front, 2 Rear) along with 2 Coaxial and 1 Optical Out. The Price tag looks a little high ($550 is the cheapest I could find).
Try Crutchfield.com or tweeter.com- they both have the 1905 for around $450.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.