AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have 2 grand, to spend on either a reciever or Seperates ..... Can anyone reccomend me what to get? If you would please give me links online...... and if you could, give me a price of each peice for a seperate system, thanks! I'm a really Newbie, so I NEED some help guys.

·
Registered
180 Posts
for 2k i'd go reciever...

but from experience i'd pony up a little extra dough and get a decent pre-pro setup. It's worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also recommend separates if you can afford it. I got my Rotel 1066 and Parasound 1205A amp for a couple of bucks under $2000, but it was helped along by some strong bargaining on the Rotel and a lucky find when Ubid.com was auctioning off the Parasounds. You might look at something like the Rotel and try to find a good used power amp at audiogon.com. With patience, it can be done.

Not to say that there aren't good receivers out there, but I've never enjoyed my setup like I do now with separates. As as alternative, you could consider using a cheaper receiver with preouts and buy a dedicated outboard power amp to augment the receiver's power.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Advantages for a receiver

-Total price is lower than for similar performing separate components.

-Takes up less space.

-Easier to manage - only one component

Advantages for separate components

- Easier and less expensive to upgrade

- More variety in amps

- Easier to select only the functionality one needs in pre/pro

If your amp requirements are unique (2 ohm speakers, for example) or you really need specific pre/pro functionality, separates are called for. Normally, however, this puts you in a higher price level. For $2K I'd say you will get much more price/performance with a receiver.

Michael

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I just upgraded from a receiver(with an external power amp) to seperates(Pre/Pro and poweramp), and the difference is HUGE(!!!).

Adding a power amp to a receiver makes a big difference, and adding a Pre Pro to the amp makes another BIG difference.

Seriously, go with seperates.

Fred

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thuway
Alright guys, I have 2 grand, to spend on either a reciever or Seperates ..... Can anyone reccomend me what to get? If you would please give me links online...... and if you could, give me a price of each peice for a seperate system, thanks! I'm a really Newbie, so I NEED some help guys.
What is the size of your room?

What kind of speakers do you have?

Are you a home theater guy or more music?

I think if you get separates or a receiver at that price you will do well. Something like a Denon 4802 , or the Outlaw pre/pro amp combo comes in around that price and you can't lose with either.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you really add a pre/pro amp to your reciever? And what does it to? Like add all the wattage up?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can someone explain the difference between pre and pro amps, and can someone list some sort of price guide and where I can look for some online. Can someone reccomend some good brands as well. I am planning on buying Paradigm Studio 100s, Servo 15, Studio ADP, Studio CC. I know plenty about receivers, but the world of Recievers is Greek to me. I was originally planning on getting the Denon 3803, until my friend told me, that I should really think about Seperates because I will never take full advantage of my system without them.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
can someone explain the difference between pre and pro amps, and can someone list some sort of price guide and where I can look for some online. Can someone reccomend some good brands as well. I am planning on buying Paradigm Studio 100s, Servo 15, Studio ADP, Studio CC. I know plenty about receivers, but the world of Recievers is Greek to me. I was originally planning on getting the Denon 3803, until my friend told me, that I should really think about Seperates because I will never take full advantage of my system without them.
I don't know if its true that's " that I should really think about Seperates because I will never take full advantage of my system without them"

Your friend could be saying that because the Studio 100's might be difficult to drive with the 3802 and you might be better off with a separate amp. Just because components are separate vs. all in one, that in itself doesn't mean its better, there's just no objective proof of that. The notion that because audio that are components are separate is better is more like an Urban Legend, people keep saying it eventually people will take for facts. I'm not saying its not true, what I'm saying is that there is no objective proof. When Tom Nousaine did his Tweaks vs. Geeks comparison in the old Stereo Review magazine (now Sound and Vision), a high-end separate systems vs. a lower end receiver based system, the listener couldn't accurately distinguish which system was which.

As for separates, I don't know of any other than Outlaw,( www.Outlaw.com ) or at ( www.Onecall.com ) where you can purchase them, that will compete a receiver at that $2,000 price range.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible to hook up a power amp to your Reciever and make the power more stronger, also if I have an AMP by itself what else would i need? And whe n it say 200X5 how many watts is that in 7 channels?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to hook up a power amp to your Reciever and make the power more stronger, also if I have an AMP by itself what else would i need? And whe n it say 200X5 how many watts is that in 7 channels?
Yes! thats what I had before upgrading my receiver(once you add an external power amp, the receiver ONLY functions as a Pre/Pre(preamp and processor). Once I upgraded my receiver(it was used as a PRE/PRO in my system) to the B&K ref 50, I was now officially in the world of seperates.

Adding a 5 channel power amp to my receiver made a BIG difference in sound quality, imaging, depth, and it woke my studio 100's up. Most receivers have power ratings of XXX wpc, but this is usually not accurate. You will find some of HK receivers rated at 85 wpc to put out more than a 130 wpc Sony(not the ES line)

"can someone explain the difference between pre and pro amps, and can someone list some sort of price guide and where I can look for some online. Can someone reccomend some good brands as well. I am planning on buying Paradigm Studio 100s, Servo 15, Studio ADP, Studio CC. I know plenty about receivers, but the world of Recievers is Greek to me. I was originally planning on getting the Denon 3803, until my friend told me, that I should really think about Seperates because I will never take full advantage of my system without them."

I have to agree with auditor here. A 2K receiver will make the paradigms sound really nice. I have pretty much the same setup as you(studio 100s, 20's and a CC), and I went with the Sherbourn 5/1500A(a 200x5 power amp which is 5 mono blocks on the same chasis). This amp has won several awards(including amp of the year). Many have said it is 95% of the Bryston 9b which is like 4-5,000.

For the money, YOU CANT TOUCH THIS AMP! Its that much of a bang for the buck piece. Sherbourn also has a Pre/Pro which is kinda a rebadged outlaw, but there have been some small tweaks to some aspects of the unit.

Contact me via email and we can talk about the sherbourn.

Fred

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think a lot of people here have answered some of your basic questions.

One thing to make sure that if you buy a reciever, it has pre-outs. That is the output after the processor but before it goes to the internal amplifiers in the reciever. So if you feel that they donot have enough power, you can always add an external amp, like the Sherbourn. (You are not combining the amps, but replacing the internal amp with the external).

Also, you could always go used (look at audiogon) or go with a cheaper reciever (like the HK - it has enough modes) and get a good amp for your bigger speakers.

Options ! Options ;) :D

Good Luck !

Sreeni

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred DeGrandis

I have to agree with auditor here. A 2K receiver will make the paradigms sound really nice. I have pretty much the same setup as you(studio 100s, 20's and a CC), and I went with the Sherbourn 5/1500A(a 200x5 power amp which is 5 mono blocks on the same chasis). This amp has won several awards(including amp of the year). Many have said it is 95% of the Bryston 9b which is like 4-5,000.

For the money, YOU CANT TOUCH THIS AMP! Its that much of a bang for the buck piece. Sherbourn also has a Pre/Pro which is kinda a rebadged outlaw, but there have been some small tweaks to some aspects of the unit.

Fred
Fred

I'm curious if you read the article on SMR http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_02.shtml

It states that the Sherbourn and the Outlaw are all but identical items, and possibly makes reference to it being the exact same product.

If heard great things about the Outlaw and great things about the Sherbourn, and was curious if you knew about this difference.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Try to go with separates, which usually have greater current delivery and they can drive lower-impedance loads.

Oh, and congratulations for misspelling all three words in your thread title. I don't think I've ever seen that before... :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh, and congratulations for misspelling all three words in your thread title. I don't think I've ever seen that before...

Paul made a funny.....:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mmereos,

Fred was talking about the 5/1500 Sherbourn amp, not the Sherbourn processor. Sherbourn and Outlaws' processors are basically the same product, just rebadged, whereas the amps are totally different products. I lean in favor of the Sherbourn amp as I own one and will have a very hard time finding a replacement for the price.

Ben

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmereos
Fred

I'm curious if you read the article on SMR http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2.../page_02.shtml

It states that the Sherbourn and the Outlaw are all but identical items, and possibly makes reference to it being the exact same product.

If heard great things about the Outlaw and great things about the Sherbourn, and was curious if you knew about this difference.
It is essentially the same rebadged unit, but from what I have heard, Sherbourn made some minor altercations. If I remember correctly, they did something with the video bandwith(possibly).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.