AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is my first post so im throwing out a question that is probably, by default, just plain ignorant... but here goes anyway:

I am trying to pick a receiver to drive the speakers i just purchased..

so for speakers:

i just bought 3 B&W FPM6s for front right, front left, and center....

i bought a B&W PV1 sub

and for the two rears i bought two B&W FPM2s

so the B&W literature says that the power handling on these speakers is as follows:

FPM6 = 25W – 150W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

FPM2 = 25W – 100W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

ok so far so good.... so now i just need a reciever... i was looking a the HK AVR 635 and the Denon 3805, In looking at the receivers i was trying to match the output in wats per speaker/channel to the power handling of the B&W speakers I detailed above

The HK site says that the HK636 output is as follows:

Front L & R Channels : 75 Watts per channel @

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The HK and Denon AVRs deliver good power so either will drive the B&Ws well.. Also the B&Ws are great loudspeakers....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the advice, M Code, so you don't think its a problem to run 120 watts from the denon 3805 rear channel outputs to the two B&W FPM2 rear speakers that can only handle 100 watts? or am i just overthinking/not understanding the relationship between reviever output and and speaker power handling?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The latter. The problem is not overpowering speakers, it's underpowering them. You'll be fine with either. I may prefer the Denon, but ever so slightly.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
ibrenticus,

First of all, the HK will really deliver at least 75 watts/ch, with all channels driven. The Denon, if tested in the same way as the HK (i.e. all channels driven at the same time) will probably deliver much much less than 120 Watts/ch. Could be as low as 60 watts/ch. HK is known for being truthful, and Denon (like most other companies, mislead the consumer about power specs).

And stated by others, speakers almost always blow because the receiver/amp sends clipped audio to the speaker... not because the receiver sent too much power to the speaker.

As for your speaker specs, those power ratings are for continuos (steady state) power. But speakers also have a dynamic power capability... meaning that the speaker will handle a much larger signal (could be up to 200-300 watts in your case, but you'll have to check the specs) for a short period of time.

Okay, so what does all my babbling mean? It's doubtful that you'll damage your speakers with either of these receivers when used for HT or 2-channel.

-T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.