AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first reciever that is likely going to be paired with a BIC Acoustec 5.1 setup.

I was sold on onkyo but have since been put off by reviews mentioning faults and bad support.

The reciever should be able to:

A. Adjust the volume level automatically when commercials come on so you don't get them blurting out

B. Have at least 3 HDMI inputs, 1 Output

C. Allow audio and video to pass through the 1 HDMI output - whats the tech term for this?... In other words I just one to link one cable from my reciever to my tv.

D. Offer upscaling where its going to upconvert regular tv and 720p signals go to at least 1080i - my current tv only supports 1080i, but I may upgrade down the line so a 1080p upconvert would be nice.

E. Bonus if it had some ipod/iphone support - don't think this is really out yet.

F. Be able to power two subs - don't know if they can all do this?

G. Another bonus would be some kind of easy auto calibration and tv menu?

Any help or advice would be appreciated - I'd like to stay under 1k with my ideal range being below $600.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Your menu is not all that "simple" and I am not sure any receiver can do all that except the flagship models. But you might check out the Harman Kardon line that I know has a convenient i-pod interface feature in the latest model (AVR354 msrp $799). Plus you could save a lot of money if you might find what you need in a refurbished model sold direct at harmanaudio.com (specials). H/K refurbs are like new and come with the same 2 year warranty as new models.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking at a lot of recievers I was about to pull the trigger on the denon, then i checked out the Harmon - OMG - looks great so far, I wonder what it has for features - yeah I am definately a fan of refurbs, i will look at that too.

Thanks

R

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just a thought but since you're only powering the BIC Acoustech 5.1 system it seems like a bit of overkill to buy a receiver that's worth more than the speakers IMO. Pioneer has 2 new receivers coming out in April with the VSX-1019AH being the top of the line and sporting a meager $500 pricetag. It's actually quite amazing how many features they stuffed onto this thing for that price and although a review isn't out for one yet I'm interested to see how it performs. It meets almost all of your requirements but I'll let you read up about it. Not sure where your budget is or if you'd be willing to wait a bit but it was worth mentioning.

Here's a link to the article about the new Pio's
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...r-VSX-1019AH-K

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest it crossed my path.

In retrospect the video processing on the Harmon seems to get some poor reviews, so I crossed that back off the list.

This Pioneer does look promising, I think I can hold out until April/May and go Best Buy one - which would give a good return policy.

Wonder how good the video proc is on this new Pioneer!?

R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts