AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this post in another forum as I do not know exactly where it belongs. Well I am at college in a dorm room, however my room is quite large. It is a converted lounge with three people living in it, 25x15 (feet). We organized the room so that there is a large open space in the middle. Right now we have a Panasonic CT30WX54 with PS2, Xbox, and a Panasonic F86 DVD player hooked up to it. I would really like to get a nice system hooked up for music, dvd, and video games. Well I was wondering what you guys would recommend? I am looking into Panasonic stuff because my dad is an authorized retailer and can get all of there products at cost. So my question is what reciever and speakers would you recommend for me? Also it doesn't seem that Panasonic makes any stands for this tv so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a nice stand? I am also open to other suggestions for other brands. Thanks for the help. On another note, I am thinking of upgrading to the Panasonic S97 (Upconverting through HDMI) would that cause any problems with a reciever?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was in this same position a few yrs ago. i upgraded one step at a time because that was the only way i could get what i wanted. I have a denon 2801 receiver, i would suggest picking up one used maybe a 3802 or 3803, and that will last you quite a while. then go listen to some speakers, I have B&W 602,601,cc6, and only buy the center and rears you want and get some cheap speakers for rear, then when you have more money get the fronts you want and move the current fronts to the rear. I'd stick with that dvd player, run it digitally into the receiver for cd audio and dvd allowing the denon d/a's to do the conversion. then whatever sub you decide on.

the whole philosophy is not to get too much in the dorms, wait till you are off campus. and make sure you plan out the purchases so you will have exactly what you want in the end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly this is just a 2 year setup. I am a freshmen and will be living in the dorms for two maybe three years, then I will move to either an off campus house/apartment and then I will upgrade again. Plus the fact that I can get any Panasonic products at cost pushes me more to one of their recievers and speaker systems. My question is how are the panasonic recievers and speaker systems? Which of the recievers/systems would be better for me?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RYNO1721
Honestly this is just a 2 year setup. I am a freshmen and will be living in the dorms for two maybe three years, then I will move to either an off campus house/apartment and then I will upgrade again. Plus the fact that I can get any Panasonic products at cost pushes me more to one of their recievers and speaker systems. My question is how are the panasonic recievers and speaker systems? Which of the recievers/systems would be better for me?
From the reviews I've seen, the Panny receivers are well rated. I would imagine their speakers are pretty much run of the mill though. I lived in a frat house for 4 years & changed receivers and speakers at least 5 times. There was never enough power, but I also had the luxury of being able to play music as loud as the receiver (and later amps) could handle.

Try CC's website. They at least have reviews from owners, although I'm not sure off the top of my head if they carry Panasonic HTIB's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.