AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam trying to put together a "decent" 7.1 system for my place. I cant afford to go too crazy right now, but i also dont want the home audio in a box either.

I recently purchased 2 polk monitor 70's to use as my fronts and am looking for a decent reciever for around $500 bucks.

right now i have my eye on the Pioneer VSX-919AH-K 7.1 for around $400.

Is this a decent choice for the price range iam in? Is there another model that would better suit me for a little more $ maybe?

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18156194

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

thats a real nice receiver for $500

That's an understatement!

As for which to buy first - it shouldn't matter too much at your level. I think the best piece of advice I could have gotten when I was coming out of HTIB-land, was that you should focus primarily on your speakers and put as much money as possible into them. Your speakers will have the greatest impact on the sound you hear and the capability of your system from top to bottom.

I think the rule of thumb is to spend 3/4 of your budget on speakers. Here on AVSForum, the recommendation is usually to spend 3/4 of your budget on speakers, 1/3 of your budget on a subwoofer, and 1/3 of your budget on AVR. And then buy another matching sub for good measure.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1982 /forum/post/18156306

i hear ya on the speaker comment noubourne. I figure i'll start with something small and as i learn work my way up to bigger and better things.

would i be better off selling the 70's and purchasing something like this which includes everything id need?

http://www.hometheatersolution.com/p..._store=default

you dont have to do that, you can still piece together a system. the package deals just make it easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.