AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any reasonably price recievers out there that have 2 of more 5.1 channel inputs? With DVD-A and SACD out, along with HTPCs, it seems that more than 1 set of 5.1 inputs are needed......

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Some of the Sony ES receivers have 2 multi-channel inputs. The 4ES & 7ES for sure... The 4ES is sold for around $600 online.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that all?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
All I can come up with off the top of my head. Do a search for "under $1000 receivers" and you'll get loads of info on all the current under $1K receivers. The number of units with more than 1 multi-channel input are very few.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I don't know what reciever I'll get when I eventually upgrade, but I know I want SACD and I know I want DVD-A and I know I want an HTPC. I may be able to "double up", but I'm probably getting the SACD player tomorrow. Would A/B switches significantly degrade the audio quality? And, are there and multichannel A/B switches, or do I need like 3 stereo switches?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Why not get a Denon DVD-2900. That way you get DVD-A, SACD, CD, DVD-V, MP3, HDCD, etc all in one player. From all acounts the 2900 is a fine machine.

I've got a Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal player so 1 multi-channel input is sufficient for me.

People have had good luck with cheap switchboxes, that will probably work ok, but I'd rather go w/o a switchbox if possible.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, even with a Denon DVD-2900, I'd still need a switch box b/c of the HTPC. So either way, unless I get a reciever with 2 multi channel ins I'm stuck switching the two.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P.S. There's no way I could afford $1000 just for the DVD player. Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the only other receiver that I know of that has 2 sets of multi-channel inputs, outside of the Sony units, is the Denon 5803($4299 MSRP). I was surprised to see that there are so few options out there with multiple sets...even among preamps.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Well, even with a Denon DVD-2900, I'd still need a switch box b/c of the HTPC
Why would you not be using the digital output from the HTPC?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Four reasons. If I wanted to have the sound card decode the digital track. 7.1 output. DVD-A output (if it ever comes along). And once I get a good enough TV/ projo, games.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm also looking for a receiver with two sets of multi-channel analogue inputs (for my PC soundcard output, as well as from my RP82 DVD player).

I see the new Sony STR-DE895 and STR-DE995 receivers have them (a 6.1 and a 5.1).

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.