Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

Been a looong time since i've been there. Anyway, i've started work on reclock 1.5 ...

My email account on nerim.net is closed, because i was receiving nearly 1000 viruses every 2 hours, so i have not had most of your emails since version 1.4. I'll open a dedicated mail account when my new DSL line will be ready (mid november if all goes well)

My priority is to fix bugs before to add features, so if you have crash logs with version 1.4/1.5 please post links to log files so i will be able to have a look at them !

Current version is 1.5 beta3 and you can get it here !

Current changelog:

* the old low quality sound resampler has been replaced with a new one that can achieve much better quality. You can now choose between 4 resampling modes (low quality will use little CPU, higher quality will use more CPU). See config app

* audio time stretching support coming from WinDVD have been dropped, since ReClock now have builtin timestretching code that yields better audio quality and is more CPU efficient

* the audio compressor, resampler and timestreching code are now plugins (DLL) that are loaded by ReClock at startup. This is more GPL compliant since ReClock does not need a single line of GPL code to be compiled, and you can now alter those plugins using the source distribution given with ReClock

* you can now bypass the monitor detection in multi-head environnement. It can be automatic as in version 1.4 or you can force ReClock to think it is running on a specified monitor. See config app

* built-in framerate estimator is now compatible with Trimension DNM (WinDVD feature)

* improved builtin framerate estimator (less sensitive to cpu load, works better with NTSC DVD)

* added new choices in adaptation menu

* fixed a bug in automatic monitor tracking (would not detect that the player window was dragged to another monitor)

* fixed a bug in refresh rate detection that could be false sometimes with some NVidia cards

* fixed a bug in crash situation when the crash dialog that would not always appear leaving the player in some zombie state

* fixed a bug in PCM 32 bits sound handling that would distort sound in some rare cases

* fixed a bug that could cause a crash if event notification was enabled and player was in disabled players list

* reduced dramatically memory footprint of ReClock especially when multichannel audio is played

Cheers

ogo

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ogo,

I am so glad to hear from you !! :)

I already thought you gave up on reclock --- :eek:

Quote:
I have 2 bugs reported by midiboy (i didn't forget you !) to correct. I'm looking at them now.
Thanks for not forgetting ! :) I have reverted to version 1.3 a while ago because of those bugs. I did have quite few crash logs with 1.4 for you but since you did not react to my emails, I did not bother and deleted them eventually.

I will, of course try your beta the minute you post it ! ;)

Quote:
(6) If i have time *and* if results with new resampler are satysfying quality wise, i'll probably add audio kernel streaming support but it takes time to do it ...
I sincerely hope you will add kernel streaming this time, even without resampling for all of us with 44,1kHz capable audio cards ! I guess that will make a lot of guys here very happy !

Glad you are back !

;)

Bye,

Alex

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all, thx a lot for ReClock! it really is an invaluable tool to my HTPC.

However, while ReClock helps me tremendously in reducing stutter on my G400 in DVDMAX mode to output to TV, I still get some framedrops.

Currently I let ReClock detect the refresh rate of the TV output by syncing the primary monitor's refresh rate with the TVout in clone mode. However, I suppose this is not 100% identical with the refresh rate for tv in DVDMAX mode.

Ogo, do you have any Matrox card at your disposal to test this?

I'll try to get information on how to properly detect the refresh of the TV in DVDMAX/PureVideo mode, but if I am unable to do so, might it help if I can get you such a Matrox card so you can try and find a way to detect the refresh in DVDMAX mode?

- Frank

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ogo

I've started work on reclock 1.5 and i will post a beta this week-end.
Awsome, thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is version 1.5 beta 1.

You can download it from here

This version have (1)(2) and have one bug of (4) corrected for midiboy (the one that would make you videocard not recognised).

I won't have time in the week-end to post another beta, but i'm very interested by your results :

* is the new resampler audio quality good ? Remember to tweak settings using the config app

* is the audio timestretcher better ?

* crash logs, etc ...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,

Great!

But here some things to fix :

Many DVDs like for example Starship Troopes Superbit are sometimes not correctly flagged -> Reclock jumps between 24 and 30 fps and every time it switches there's an big audiodropout.

So a possible solution is if reclock detects at playstart for 5 seconds 24 fps, reclock can asume that the rest of the movie is 24 fps and does not switch anymore.

Or at least make it possible that even if all estimators are turned on that the user can override the fps setting.

The only solution for the existing reclock versions is to turn of all estimators (except for the directshow one) and set the fps manualy.

The estimators are for HDTV Movies also useless. They often estimate 30 fps even if they are clearly 24 fps.

Some other weird thing i noticed is the acuracy of the clock with different video decoders.

With Intervideo Video decoders i can set the tollerance to 5 % and get no dropouts/repeat. But if i use The Elecard i have to set the tollerance to 20 % to get no dropouts/repeats. But even 20 % are not sufficient for 2 hours perfect play with the elecard. Even weirder with the Elecard is that the tollerance error goes in both directions for example->-5%,-7%,+20%,-30%...

And what about the possibility to change minimaly the Displaytiming via Powerstrip API like Mark R. mentioned earlier this year ?

cya

Ralf

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dZeus>hardware video clock estimation is based on directdraw or directx9 calls. I highly doubt that dvdmax mode is compatible with that ; it's more based on some proprietary hack by matrox. Does reclock detect 1 or 2 monitors ? Could you send me a log file of a session in dvdmax mode ? For that please activate logging in config app. My email is [email protected]

amigenius>
Quote:
Many DVDs like for example Starship Troopes Superbit are sometimes not correctly flagged -> Reclock jumps between 24 and 30 fps and every time it switches there's an big audiodropout.
I know about the 24/30 fps switch problem with some DVD. In fact there is no reliable way to know the framerate of a DVD, so reclock tries to guess it, and the algorithm can become a bit picky if the cpu load varies a lot. I'll try to improve it.

Quote:
The estimators are for HDTV Movies also useless. They often estimate 30 fps even if they are clearly 24 fps.
Even the builtin estimator is wrong ? I've never seen it being wrong (the directshow estimator is sometimes wrong). Could you provide me with a linkg to download a small part of such a movie ?

Quote:
With Intervideo Video decoders i can set the tollerance to 5 % and get no dropouts/repeat. But if i use The Elecard i have to set the tollerance to 20 % to get no dropouts/repeats. But even 20 % are not sufficient for 2 hours perfect play with the elecard. Even weirder with the Elecard is that the tollerance error goes in both directions for example->-5%,-7%,+20%,-30%...
Must be due to some jitter in the way elecard give audio samples to reclock. There is nothing i can do about this ...

Quote:
And what about the possibility to change minimaly the Displaytiming via Powerstrip API like Mark R. mentioned earlier this year ?
I've tried without any success. Altering the timing in realtime during a frame display leads to massive alteration of the video signal and my crt was very confused with that. That's not a valid direction so i gave up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Ogo,

my first report for beta1:

This is the most stable reclock version I have had so far !

1. I threw every video I had on my harddisk at it and contrary to earlier versions reclock only crashed once ( first ZoomPlayer 4.03 reported an error in ntdll.dll and then reclock reported a crash ... crashlog attached )

This ntdll.dll error had appeared with V1.4 also everytime reclock was paired with the new NVIDIA 4.00.20 video decoders for media playback. This time, it happend with an avi though.

2. The "videocard is not compatible error" is indeed gone! Thanks !

3. I don´t use timestreching so I cannot comment on that

4. Resampler quality ... I have not listened carefully enough for quality differences yet. So far I only tested for stability with different media files and DVD´s and in this regard it works fine.

I also like the ability to switch between quality modes but here is a suggestion:

5. Could you also add this to the reclock properties page that is displayed while reclock is running ? This way one could change modes during playback and also better compare quality ....

6. Another suggestion: Could you maybe add a switch to the reclock settings to always open the reclock properties window by default when reclock is loaded ? It is just a small wish but it would make it easier for troubleshooting and I also like the ability to watch "reclock at work" and be able to change something quickly.

7. Regarding HDTV movies and framerate estimators:

Reclock does not detect the framerate of some WM9 trailers, this one for instance ( uses DRM ) or this one

Looking forward to your next beta !

Thanks for your work !

Alex

ntdll.txt 86.5498046875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,

@ogo

i'll can provide you with hdtv samples...i'll put them on my ftp and mail you the account.

How can Elecard Video Filter affect the audio samples ?

My WinDVD Graph is :

DVD Navigator ->WinDVD Video->ffdshow->overlay->videorenderer

DVD Navigator ->WinDVD Audio->reclock

My Elecard Graph is :

DVD Navigator ->Elecard Video->ffdshow->overlay->videorenderer

DVD Navigator ->WinDVD Audio->reclock

cya

Ralf

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Ogo,

I am very sorry not to have answered your question in this old post :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...N&pagenumber=4

Because of the holidays, I simply forgot to came back to read your topic on Reclock v1.4. All my apology. The pdf "The Quest For The Perfect Resampler" seems really interesting...

I did some little trials with your beta and my old delta 1010 yesterday evening on the Z2 PAL DVD : Master and commander (pal speedup not corrected on this DVD).

So In order to have the correct pitch, the refreh rate was 72 Hz, and the video speed 24 fps => audio resampled to 46080 Hz (-4%).

- with option "Good" the result is a little better than with reclock v1.4 but the difference is not huge

- with option "Very Good" the result is fantastic especially in the high. Much more details, better voices, sound more precise and so on...

- Unfortunately, my old CPU (PIII) can't manage the last option...

I will try to make THD and THD+N measurements in digital domain very soon.

Thanks a lot for this beta.

Emmanuel

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Seeing frequent hangs stopping DVD playback with Reclock 1.5. Requires an end task on ZP from task manager to get out.

3.2 Gig P4, ZP, ffdshow, NVidia FWMM4 decoders, Creative Audigy ZS sound card.

Vern

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
simple question..... does reclock offer anything to a user of an RPTV at 60hz/30i ????

:confused:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Ogo,

after testing beta 1 some more I found that reclock has a few problems with different ffdshow versions and settings related to resizing in ffdshow. I have a few screenshots and log files attached into a zip and I am trying to post this in a structured manner, I hope it is not confusing.

In all the below cases I was testing with one PAL DVD, but I confirmed it with another PAL DVD and an NTSC DVD.

Lets start with a bug I found that is unrelated to ffdshow. It appears under the following circumstances:

Logging is enabled in reclock

There is already a reclock logfile in C:\\

I start Zoomplayer fullscreen on second monitor

I start playback of DVD

In this case, reclock will not detect that playback is on monitor 2, instead it will show monitor 1 on properties page and of course the timings will be incorrect.

If I move the video window to monitor 1 and back to monitor 2, reclock will then correctly show monitor 2 in properties page.

If logging is enabled, but there is no logfile present in C:\\ ( because I deleted it before ) and then start playback fullscreen on monitor 2, reclock will correctly detect playback on monitor 2 ! So somehow this is related to the presence of a former logfile if logging is enabled.

If logging is disabled, then everything is fine.

I attached a logfile into the "logging bug folder containing the start of playback when there is no logfile present and the second round with the logfile in place before playback started.

This is the first case of a few ffdshow related problems. It appears when using the newest ffdshow version available (ffdshow-20041012-sse2.exe). I am using the SSE2 versions since I own a P4.

I loaded my DVD preset settings ( resize to 1280x720, no AR correction, Lanczos 4 resize, output YUV2, some Luma sharpen in resize )

I added my DVD preset profile into the zip for you to try out.

If I start playback of a DVD, reclock cannot detect if it is PAL or NTSC anymore. Instead it will offer to change framerate. Of course, video stutters like hell and nothing works anymore.

Regardless of the ffdshow resize settings, I could not get reclock to work with this ffdshow version if resize was enabled.

I added logfile and screenshot into the ffd_20041012 folder.

I then uninstalled this newest ffdshow versions and reinstalled Andy´s last SSE2 optimised ffdshow version from July ( not the preview version but the ffdshow-20040709_SSE2.exe ) I have used this version for the last few months and everything used to work fine with this version.

If I only load the above mentioned settings with the preset profile, everything works fine as it used to ( lanczos 4 resize )

But if I change resize to lanczos 8, then reclock starts to behave strange again. It again, does not detect the DVD as a PAL DVD and shows the "CHoose framerate dialog".

If I change lanczos resize from 8 to 10 with the above ffdshow version, then reclock will suddenly detect the PAL DVD as an NTSC DVD !

Again, I added a screenshot and logfile.

So, to sum up ... something is wrong when using different resize settings together with reclock. The output size was never changed, only ffdshow versions and lanczos resize settings. But somehow this affects reclock and it´s DVD detection mechanism.

Maybe you can look into this a bit. It could of course, also be a problem with ffdshow, in which case I will post this into an ffdshow thread but first, I would like to be sure that it is not a reclock problem.

Thanks for for your help !

BYe,

Alex

PS: edit: forgot to add the ffdshow preset, new file is logs2.zip

logs2.zip 147.3291015625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
midiboy>

Thanks a lot for your extensive tests. For #1 do you remember if this is the same configuration that was making reclock 1.4 crash when you did open zp on monitor 2, then start playback ? I'm very surprised to see it's related to logging. I'll have a look at the logs to try to understand. Update: i see in the log that reclock have trouble finding the playback window, that's why it can't detect monitor change. I'll investigate

For #2 #3 and #4 are you sure your cpu is not near 100% load when you change resize parameters to 10 ? If yes it can interfere with the builtin framerate detection in reclock. This detection gets confused when cpu load is too high and will give bad results in this case (including ntsc/pal mistake). I'm searching how to improve that.

Vern Dias>

Glad to get news from you again ! Could you be more precise in your description. Could you activate logging and see what's in the last lines of the log before the "hang" ? Is this a hang or a crash ? Only with ZP ?

Emmanuel Piat>

Thanks for making THD measures on the new resampler. The new resampler i use is not the one i told you before, it's called "secret rabbit code" (there is a html link in the about page in reclock to get it). The audio timestretch routine is also new and produce more acceptable results that the windvd version. It come from "soundtouch" library. Could you also test it please ? I have lost my login on the french forum, and registered again yesterday with the nick "ogo" but i've not been authorized yet to post ...

amigenius>Thanks for the samples. You can me some links at [email protected] whith a precise description of what filters you use. For you question about Elecard, maybe the load on cpu is different with different video decoders, thus affecting the audio thread. You may try "Give high priority to player" in config app and see if it's better.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Ogo !

Quote:
For #2 #3 and #4 are you sure your cpu is not near 100% load when you change resize parameters to 10 ? If yes it can interfere with the builtin framerate detection in reclock. This detection gets confused when cpu load is too high and will give bad results in this case (including ntsc/pal mistake). I'm searching how to improve that.
Mhh, it was not 100% but something around 80-90%. Nevertheless, I found out that this problem only occured with the NVIDIA decoders (4.00.29 to be exact ) and those are not up to date. It worked fine with Dscaler and Elecard decoders so it may very well be considered false alarm.

However, it will sure be a good thing if you could make this PAL/NTSC detection mechanism more resistant to heavy CPU load ! :D

Quote:
For #1 do you remember if this is the same configuration that was making reclock 1.4 crash when you did open zp on monitor 2, then start playback ? I'm very surprised to see it's related to logging. I'll have a look at the logs to try to understand. Update: i see in the log that reclock have trouble finding the playback window, that's why it can't detect monitor change. I'll investigate
Could be, Ogo ! I am not sure if it is exactly the same configuration since too much time has passed between then an now but it certainly seems to be related.

However, I did have this problem yesterday again, and logging was disabled this time. However, it happens very rarely with logging disabled and very often if logging is enabled and a log file is present so .... :p

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your extensive tests.
No, thanks a lot for your program ! It is a pleasure to use it ! :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.