AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a week for a new AV-R and ended up asking you for a help, coz it seems impossible for me to find a solution.

What I need is AV-R with these criterias:

Budget
Control and play songs from android (seems to be almost standard nowadays)

Network features (Radio, DLNA, …) (AirPlay not needed - I know onkyo does not do it)

Play videos from USB iPod (this seems for me to be impossible)

What is preffered:

Zone 2 Powered repro

2 HDMI outputs

Play component/composite video inputs on HDMI (this seems to be a big issue as well, eg onkyo 515 can send only 480i to HDMI)

I found eg Onkyo 717 which seems to do all the stuff except of playing ipod videos. Reason why i need this - simultaneously charge ipod and play videos from it. Standard ipod video cable is blocking usb port and is not charging. Please note, I have ipod classic, which does not send video over jack connector.

Thanks a lot for your recomendations, you will save my nerves if you find something

Luke

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
onkyo 818 has mhl usb input that lets you stream video from android or ipod. its slightly out of your budget tho. also the pioener sc1522-k has this feature, if you have a costco nearby, they have been selling them for 599.00. normally a 1500.00 unit.

have you looked into the yamaha 673/773?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your fast reply! May I ask how do you know 818 can play video from usb? Is it the MHL? Coz 717 has MHL too and is much cheper. I think 515 has MHL too.

as stated on http://av-receivers.net/onkyo/onkyo-tx-nr818-review

...When you plug in a portable device or flash drive to the USB port, a direct digital connection is used to make the audio sound a lot cleaner than analog signals. This means that FLAC, WMA, AAC and MP3 files will sound much better when hooked up to the Onkyo TX-NR818...

- this seems that only music is supported..

Pioneer SC-1522-K seems realy do the stuff! It is really out of my budged but I give it a shot to try to find it cheap in europe..

About the yamahas you said I did not found nothing clear about ipod video, just similar generic stuff - "you can connect ipod and enjoy your music". Anyway they are kind of expensive..

If I would somehow manage to put the video to the composite input in AV-R, how do I recognize if it will be played on the HDMI out? For example I found that onkyo probably does not convert composite -> hdmi in dozens of forums, but clear statement I have not.. This would be probably cheaper to buy some docking statition with charging and some much cheaper AV-R.

I appreciate your time..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
On AV receivers, MHL only applies to HDMI inputs. Basically it's an HDMI input with added ability to power and/or charge the connected device. If your iPod was capable of HDMI output you could connect it to an HDMI input (front or back, MHL or not) of any AV receiver and watch videos that way. No Apple devices support MHL, so you can't charge them when connected to an MHL-capable HMDI input.

No AV receiver that I know is capable of playing videos stored on an iPod when the iPod is connected using USB only. Only some Sony receivers are capable of playing videos at all, and they don't seem to support playing iPod videos over USB.

If this feature is important to you then you might consider spending part of your upgrade budget on an 4th generation iPod touch, which is capable of HDMI output. It can also work as wireless remote control for many AV receivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok this seems to be really impossible to get in this price something ipod enabled.. I do not want to stop using my old ipod as it has unbeatable 160GB and it is so easy and fast to use it.. So I rather have a look for some other ipod->copmosite or hdmi converter with charging and buy some cheaper av-r which can send this input to my beamer. Pioneer seems really to suport ipods in this way, maybe i find some cheap one, but I doubt is as pioneer sounds to me like a ferrari in AVRs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe i found something thanks to your idea for pioneers: Pioneer-VSX-1122 - this is described as "made for ipod" and is below 500€. What I saw on the picture, they actualy use a nice trick - they sell the device with special cable what has usb and video cinch combined to one cable for ipods. you connect then both ends to the receiver. So my goal would be then just to find such cable and then combine it with any other receiver.. I would probably stay with the 717 onkyo, coz it has twice as many connectors on the rear side as the other receivers for the same price (if you know what i mean
) I like the powered zone outputs and two hdmi outs, etc etc.. Thanks to all of you guys for your answeres!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It's called an "Apple Composite AV Cable", and yes you can use it or a similar cable to connect your iPod to any AV receiver. Some receivers will be able to control the iPod if you connect it using both composite and USB to the front. I was going to mention it but you said that your iPod "does not send video over jack connector".

Virtually alll AV receivers sold today carry the "Made for iPod/iPhone" branding, the Onkyo TX-NR717 included.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right now i am just looking on amazon for the cables.. original ipod is way too expensive i think, but there are some cheaper as i see now..

Yep it is right, the ipod is not sending the video signal via jack. (i have 160GB, classic). All the versions before did it with the standard 4 connector 3.5 jack, but then apple decided to block this output and you need special cable for it. Not even some docks with video out can do this, there is a special chip needed in the cable - obviously apple did this to sell his ultra-expensive cables. I had one 3rd party cable which can do this, but has no usb, so charging is impossible. I was looking for AV-R which can do this so hardly, that i somehow forgot about the cable with usb
now i see that even component av cable exists, which will be probably better...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts