AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give up! I have lost all faith that Sony is going to fix the HD-100 in a reasonable time so I have started the process to return the box to them and get a refund. I made the mistake of assuming that Sony would provide a quality product sight unseen and I am not going to make that mistake again with any HD STB manufacture.

Does any one know of a retailer in the SF Bay Area, preferable East Bay or Upper Peninsula, that has a good demo setup with the major DTV HD STBs? I would like to go one place to see all of them and be able to try them out. MSRP is fine, I paid MSRP on the hd100, and IMO the value of trying out the boxes is well worth paying retail prices.

BTW I had good laugh on the phone with Sony today. I was discussing my outstanding event number i.e. trouble ticket, regarding the ½ hour drop outs and fan noise. The level 2 tech told me that the engineering group from Southern California came out to Florida to give them a presentation about the issues with the HD-100. The level 2 told me the engineering guys gave them a PowerPoint presentation. The reason for the dropout problems is that they were so focused on producing quality sound and picture that there was no room for any margin of error and when the signal specifications are off, you get dropouts and if I could of seen the presentation I would understand. When I look at the other manufactures STBs I will see and hear the quality difference and the HD-100 is a superior product. I told him that if video and audio quality were so important then why haven’t they produced a fix on something that disrupts that experience and by the way, based on the research of people on this forum this dropout problem is not a broadcast signal specification problem. Of course I received no answer to this. He also said that he has heard of no plans to fix fan noise, not that what he says has any basis of knowledge of what Sony’s great master plan is. Regardless I will soon be done and will wash my hands of Sony.

I appreciate any feedback on a good SF Bay shop to view and compare HD STB products.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
936 Posts

The Good Guys (some locations) aren't bad. I've had good luck in the Santa Clara store. There are other places that are higher end. One thing you could try is to find dealers for some of the higher end products (like plasma, DLP, etc.) and go see them. This will take some searching as not all of the stores will have all brands. Something to think about though is that Hughs OEMs a lot of the current crop of STBs.

Mike

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well if you were looking for an HDTV, I'd say that different stores carry different brands, so you basically have to go to lots of different stores. Places to check out are Sears, Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys, Video Only, etc.

However, hardly anyone demos STBs since that requires a dish and/or a terrestrial antenna. You are lucky if you can find any HDTV displayed at all, let alone HDTV from several different STB units. I think you'll get better info by reading avsforum and then buying one sight-unseen from a vendor where you can return it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've seen a number of STB demos at Laser Land on De Anza Blvd in San Jose. Then there is Anderson's on Stevens Creek and Lawrence Blvd.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't expect to find much in the way of OTA HD demos, in case that's important to you. Everyone seems to run DirecTV ch. 199 demo loop or hard drive based time shifted stuff. LaserLand has the Tosh and Panasonic STB's up, you'll find DTC100's all over the place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Andersons seems to have the most Hd stb's.

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any other place, anyone? I'm interested too so I'm bumping it up.

BTW, like the other poster said, LaserLand (Cupertino) and Anderson's TV (Sunnyvale and Redwood City) seem to have better setups than the big chains.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.