AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster. I am looking for a set of towers to be the centerpiece of a new 2.1 setup, which I may expand to 5.1 when I get the required funds. They will be paired with an Onkyo TX-SR604 receiver and a Hsu VTF-2 MK 3 sub. The dimensions of the room are 17ft x 13ft x 8ft = 1768 cubic ft. I will be using this setup for both music and movies, but sound for music is MUCH more important for me. I listen to a lot of rock and jazz, as well as latin, world, and classical.

I am looking to spend around $1,000 with an absolute limit of $1,500. Two models that interest me so far are Aperion 633-T ($998 per pair) and the HTD Level 3 ($699 per pair). Any comments on how these two stack up against one another? I have not ruled out any particular brand, so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita /forum/post/0

Welcome to the forum...this topic has been discussed many times. Try the search function.

I was impressed with the Usher V-601. There was a KEF I liked too in that price range. At the top end of your price range the Vandersteen (2CE I think) is wonderful, but it is not for everyone--it is particular about placement.

I own the Ascend 340 SE--on a stand it would look like a tower, and at 668/pair (with stand) you would be able to go for the 5.1 system right away. Give them a listen, you might be pleasantly shocked.

badassfajita is right about searching, but I remember my first post less than a year ago--it is a little daunting when you are beginning to search.

·
Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /forum/post/0

I wonder if Bose will ever make tower speakers?

They have, although I have no idea why anyone would want to buy them.

Anyway to the OP this has been covered a million million times. Axiom, Totem, Focal, and Triangle will be a few I'll add to the list. You're better off though just going to local shops and listening to what they have.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /forum/post/0

I wonder if Bose will ever make tower speakers?

LOL, I almosted choked.

You could look at the Axiom M60 or M80s... or Paradigm Monitor 11s

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would add the Onix Rocket RS450 to your list to look at. If you choose to spend towards the 1500 range you can get a pair of RS450's and the RSC200 "bigfoot" center channel (arguably one of the best center channels around for the money). They should give you family package pricing bringing all 3 speakers in below the 1500 mark. What's your room like? I have Axiom M80's and they were a little to forward in the presentation for me especially since the room has tons of hard surfaces and not much acoustic treatments. I much prefer the sound of the rockets in my living room and the center speaker of Onix is definitely a few steps above the Axiom's VP150 (in my personal opinion). As everyone says though, audition as much as you can and once you find a speaker you think you like, listen to it for a while to make sure it doesn't end up being fatiguing.

Thomas

·
Registered
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted7450 /forum/post/0

I would add the Onix Rocket RS450 to your list to look at. If you choose to spend towards the 1500 range you can get a pair of RS450's and the RSC200 "bigfoot" center channel (arguably one of the best center channels around for the money). They should give you family package pricing bringing all 3 speakers in below the 1500 mark. What's your room like? I have Axiom M80's and they were a little to forward in the presentation for me especially since the room has tons of hard surfaces and not much acoustic treatments. I much prefer the sound of the rockets in my living room and the center speaker of Onix is definitely a few steps above the Axiom's VP150 (in my personal opinion). As everyone says though, audition as much as you can and once you find a speaker you think you like, listen to it for a while to make sure it doesn't end up being fatiguing.

Thomas

I second the AV123 folks. Their Rocket line is awsome for sound quality ,looks and value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone! I know there have been similar threads, and I used the search function before I posted this. I was just looking for specific recommendations based on my room size and listening preferences. I should mention that I have hardwood floors and no wall treatments. Since I rent, I doubt I will be able to make too many modifications beyond a few rugs. I will keep all of your recommendations in mind as I continue my search. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
With a "live" or echo prone room, I'd say you're better off with a warm sounding speaker than something like Ascend. The AV123 rockets, however, might be too difficult for your receiver to adequately drive. You might want to check with the folks posting in AV123's forum.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The b&w 603s3's are at 1k for the pr,you can spend the other 500 on a better reciever.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
OK, I think you've probably figured out my comment about Bose floor-standing speakers above was a joke.

If I had $1K in my hands today for a pair of floorstanding speakers - *and* wanted to hear the speakers before I purchased them - which can be a bit of a limitation with internet direct brands; I'd recommend something from Boston Acoustics. Something from their "VR" line will fall within your budget. Plus, you should be able to find a dealer that carries them. Also, I think it's a shame that the mini-Magnolia stores in Best Buy stopped carrying the VR floorstanding line. For the money, they sounded very, very nice.

Edit: I see the Circuit City stores should now have the VR series in stock at their stores.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.