Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend the best bang for the buck in a

cheap LCD or DLP machine? I want to put something

outside in my pool area so we can watch movies at night while in the pool.

When I say "cheap" I mean as cheap as possible. I was looking on Ebay and found some Sharp LCD's (I think it was an XU or XG 1100 maybe? ) going for under $1000.

I don't need exceptional picture quality here, just something I can hook up to a DVDO that will put out a reasonably watchable picture. I also need a throw distance of about 25 to 30 feet.

Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by TEW (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

Anyone have a suggestion or familar with the Sharp mentioned here?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have worked with the sharp XV line before and they were a fairly good projector for their time (2 years ago). But they are dim. I mean I have the book for an XV-ZW99u in front of me right now and it says the brightness is 400 lumens with a 100:1 contrast ratio and this was their top of the line projector. Sold for about $8000. I can tell you that this projector at 30' was speced at a minimum 200" screen size and there is no way you would get an acceptable picture from it at that distance. I don't know what the specs are on this XV-1000 unit, but I can only assume they are similar or lower. I would pass. I have an Infocus LP-350 (1300 lumens)and would think twice about a picture at 25 to 30', outside with no light control.

I'm sorry I don't have more specific info for you. As I recall there were some posts in this forum about having a drive-in type party. Maybe you could do a search, find the posters and ask them what they used outside and what the results were.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about it, I'd just shoot a 60" diagnal or something smaller, heck 400lumens on a 50" screen is more then enough outside in the dark. The only thing to worry about I guess would be do you live in the city? Are there lots of street lights near your backyard? I think these 1000+ lumen projectors have spoiled a few peeps around here, and anything less then a 1000 is some how now unexceptable, but yet 500 lumens was some how enough for 3-4 years ago. Its all about what you are shooting for, I say you would have more then enough light output on a small screen. But thats just MHO.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
There's a BOXLIGHT 3750 LCD PROJECTOR on eBay for $676.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1253741219

By the way, I'm not and don't know the seller.

Consider using it in rear projection.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input thus far guys.

The Sharp unit I'm looking at is a XG-E1000U

It's a 600 x 800 display and 600 ANSI lumens rating.

Does anyone know much about this particular model?

My other question - why would rear projection be desired

in an outdoor environment?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Darth,

My point on the post was that at the users request of a 25' to 30' throw distance a 400-600 lumen projector would not be bright enough. I do feel that a 60" picture or smaller would give a fine picture at that brightness. According to Projector Central this unit has a fixed lens and I doubt you will get a 60" picture at 25' to 30'. Probably more like 200".

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I don't think he can get an x390 for <$1K.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TEW:

My other question - why would rear projection be desired

in an outdoor environment? [/b]
Complete light control, if the room situation permits! One of my previous projects involved the following. 1. Apartment - pre marriage days. 2. Sliding glass door removed from apartment for poolside viewing. 3. A milky white window film from HDepot that was made to simulate etched glass when squeegee onto a window.

A few friends and myself put the film on the sliding glass door and then mounted it in the bar serving window next to the pool. Since this room's only opening was the serving window and a door, we had complete light control. My 400q sony was about 8 feet back, mounted low. This allowed great night time viewing with poopy daytime viewing, maybe more than 400 lumens would help...

As long as you never stood up high enough to see the light path there was never a hot spot. I can say that in the dark of night, if you were to catch a glimpse of the bulb it would set you down.

All of this was great until two things happened. one, i had to move and two, we got very tired of reapplying the film and door. Several times last year, Austin, TX got to 107 degrees and the film would start to bubble.

Hope this idea helps...

Scott

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Scott, do you have a product name other than "milky white window film from HDepot that was made to simulate etched glass when squeegee onto a window"?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
134 Posts
sorry, I don't. But it was in the window tinting/film section and it was 36" x 15' I think. A roll of it was around 20 dollars.

Another great experiment revolved around putting this stuff on my bathroom mirror. Man the gain must have been around 1000, just watch out for the hotspot!

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.