AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on what/where to purchase something that I can hide wires behind running along the base of the wall?

Ideally some sort of white plastic covers?

Monoprice doesn't seem to carry anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Go to Lowes store. They carry Wiremold brand cable channels. They work very good. You may think of running them along the ceiling rather than floor to bypass doors/windows/etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Try cabletiesandmore.com

under the raceway, duct, coduit tab, there are far more options and solutions than just Wiremold. I'm still trying to make a descion on what to use myself. I have a few cosmetic issues to solve before I install a couple of wire solutions.

·
Registered
231 Posts
yep - Loews worked great for me. i used it to run wire to the surrounds at my daughter's home 6-7 years ago ... around the baseboards and alongside the doors... it looked great. couldn't tell it was there unless you looked for it.

just measure and cut carefully. and think about "how many of which kind" of corner pieces you need.

the round-shaped one at Loews held 2 strands of 16ga wire no problem. if you're looking for a bigger conduit to hold 14ga or 12ga, i'm sure they're out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you considered the option of actually removing the baseboard/trim and putting wires behind it? You'll need to do some touch-up on the walls and trim, but if you're careful it's not too bad. Using a pneumatic or electric finish nailer makes it even easier (just don't nail thru the wires). Even better is if you need to paint trim (or the walls) anyway - painting trim is MUCH easier when it's detached from the wall and sitting on a pair of sawhorses

OTOH, If you're doing this due to it needing to be temporary, common wisdom is to avoid using the double-stock tape to secure the raceway/conduit - it'll do more damage coming down. Screw holes are easier to repair.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisd /forum/post/20979915

Have you considered the option of actually removing the baseboard/trim and putting wires behind it? You'll need to do some touch-up on the walls and trim, but if you're careful it's not too bad. Using a pneumatic or electric finish nailer makes it even easier (just don't nail thru the wires). Even better is if you need to paint trim (or the walls) anyway - painting trim is MUCH easier when it's detached from the wall and sitting on a pair of sawhorses

I am actually surprised that hardware stores don't carry moldings with a groove on the backside to hide wires. I suppose if you have a router...

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 to Travisd

I ran my in-wall speaker wires last weekend. I pulled up the carpet first using vice grips, pried back the baseboard with a chisel, cut a small hole in the wallboard (behind the baseboard) with a Swiss Army knife saw, fished the wire through, then ran the wire in the gap between the wallboard and floor. The wire exited by a floor duct behind my entertainment center. Then I rapped the baseboard back into place with a hammer and used the chisel/hammer to tuck the carpet back under the baseboard and secure it to the carpet nails. No painting needed, took about 20 minutes. Not a wire in sight, unless you look behind the entertainment center. One of the walls had insulation, which made it tougher to fish the wire through. I ended up duct-taping the wire to the tip of a fiberglass rod and sticking that down behind the wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts