AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have River Rock grey tectured Walls, Black Ceiling and a Black leather theater reclines. I would greatly appreciate suggestions on Carpeting Style and Color. And by the way. How do I post pics in this forum.

Thanks

Abe

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I think you have two ways to go:

1. Keep the theme going--pick a carpet that blends into the existing room color scheme (e.g., a dark grey carpet).

2. Throw in a new color to the mix--pick a carpet that stands out from the existing colors (e.g., tied to a trim color, etc.).

Personally, I have a close to all black theater: black fabric ceiling, black fabric walls, black fabric columns. In looking at carpets, I wanted something that would either stand out in the room or seamlessly blend in. It came down to two different choices: a dark, dark grey splecked with black ("Midnight Grey") commercial variety or a medium grey heather cut pile vareity with flecks of blue/purple that picked up the only "color" in the room (the blue/violet paint lining the thin light tray running around the perimeter of the ceiling). I decided to go with the former and am very happy--my wife thought I was crazy ("You're going to put a black carpet in a black room?!?), but even she agrees that it worked out really well...the carpet is close to black, but has enough texture and minor grey scale variations in it to stand out against the walls without drawing undue attention to it.

I'd post a picture, but (1) the room is still being finished and, more importantly, (2) even with 2000W of indirect lighting in the room, I'd need a krieg light to pick up the carpet's subtleties. In other words, due to the black fabric all over, it is almost impossible to photograph anything--it's like the room (with lights at full) is perpetually stuck at dusk! :)

It's also very important to get a good, strong pad for your carpet if possible--if you do a search on this topic, you'll see lots of suggestions. Since my carpet is technically a commercial grade carpet (I didn't really want to do this, but they were the only class of carpet that seemed to have subtle hues/textures to them), I used a 7.5 lbs. synthetic rubber pad normally paired with a berber--it was fairly expensive realitve to the carpet, but it works very nicely. I don't have the nicest carpet (I think the carpet installed amounted to less than 3% of the room cost), but it works for me so far.

P.S. To post a picture, you can either attach it to the message (so people will have to double click on it to see it) or you can insert it inline (using the "IMG" button), if you have a server from which to host the picture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.