AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While rewiring my cabinets, I managed to short circuit the receiver by dropping a metal piece inside. (it turns on, but produces no sound). Given these days it's cheaper to buy something than fix it, I am looking for a recommendation

I primarily use it to watch TV FIOS, watch an occasional DVD, and I've also added Google TV Logitech Box to watch online content. I also have an XBOX 360 which I recently added, but didn't really get to play much with yet (was trying to cleanup all the wiring mess). Basically, 4xHDMI is important for me.

I'd rather not get the Onkyo because of the 'switching' problems, although that became less annoying once I got rid of DirecTV.

Other than 5.1 and your standard set of Blue Ray supported sound features (DTS, TrueHD), I'd like the receiver to turn itself on whenever TV turns on just like Onkyo does.

Self-tuning with a microphone was a nice touch too.

My TV is Samsung HLT6187SAX

My speakers are Energy Take 5

My subwoofer is POLK AUDIO PSW10

Currenly looking at Yamaha RX-V371BL, but I don't know if it has the features I need (I don't know what the HDMI powers the receiver feature is called), nor do I know if it has any drawbacks.

Edit: I don't see myself caring for seven+ speaker setup, or 3D television ever.

I'd take other suggestions or comments. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for setup automation (don't have a perfect square) apparently need something like

Yamaha RX-V471

or

Denon AVR1612

Or can just buy the RX-V371 and copy speaker delay settings of Onkyo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought a Yamaha RX-V371 (really, that Audysey stuff is unnecessary, I can enter the feet I am away from the speakers in setep).

After encountering an HDMI control issue described here , I decided to go with what I know will work--Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1. I can't say the Yamaha did any better with detecting HDMI signals then my old Onkyo did.

BTW, it's currently $229 on Amazon (less expensive than the Yamaha that I'll return to Best Buy).

So I'll get extra features, and the receiver will read the sound off HDMI on turn on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts