AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using this TV in my man cave (sitting 8-10ft from screen) for PC gaming, watching movies and sports, and occasional console gaming with a capable but modest 5.1 sound system. There is a fairly significant amount of light coming into the room during the day, as there are 2 windows behind the couch facing the screen and another window on the side. All viewing is done directly in front of the screen.

I bought this TV new approximately 3 years ago from Best Buy for just under $5k and could use it to replace a 7 year old plasma elsewhere in the house. I absolutely love the set with the Darbee and it's served me well as my PC gaming monitor for 1080p. I haven't kept up with display technology since purchasing it, but since my PC is capable of running anything I throw at it at a high frame rate with max settings in 4k, I'm interested in an upgrade. I really enjoy having the large screen, so I don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of size.

Considering all of these factors in my viewing, what would you folks recommend? I'd like to stay around the same price point if possible. Is there anything out there that will provide me with a visible improvement with a higher refresh rate?

Lastly, is there a Darbee Darblet for 4k, or another device that I should add in between my AVR and whatever new TV you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The new Beyond 4K FALD display due out later this year. A worthy successor.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
^ I too have a 70" Sharp Elite with Dardee and Lumagen Radiance. My current plan after trying out a 78" Samsung HU9000 and returning it is to continue to watch how things play out with OLED. IMO if LG finally makes their production goals, prices for the 77" or it's successor should start to approach comparable LCDs plus 10% or so in the first half of 2016. 4k Blu-ray will not be available until early 2016 and I have to pause very high quality 1080p reference video to tell the difference between the Elite at 8 feet versus my 50" 4k Samsung HU8500 at 4.5 feet (use as a PC monitor). Only reason for me to buy new set now would be increase in screen size. Waiting also helps to insure that the set I buy is as future proof as possible for 4k BD i.e. 10 bit, DCI-p3 and HDR.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ I too have a 70" Sharp Elite with Dardee and Lumagen Radiance. My current plan after trying out a 78" Samsung HU9000 and returning it is to continue to watch how things play out with OLED. IMO if LG finally makes their production goals, prices for the 77" or it's successor should start to approach comparable LCDs plus 10% or so in the first half of 2016. 4k Blu-ray will not be available until early 2016 and I have to pause very high quality 1080p reference video to tell the difference between the Elite at 8 feet versus my 50" 4k Samsung HU8500 at 4.5 feet (use as a PC monitor). Only reason for me to buy new set now would be increase in screen size. Waiting also helps to insure that the set I buy is as future proof as possible for 4k BD i.e. 10 bit, DCI-p3 and HDR.
Thanks for the reply and your perspective. I agree with the HDR concern after looking at the LG65EG9600, as well as the 4:4:4 frames per second issue that others described. As far as sitting 8' away, I would think you would see the difference fairly easily. That's definitely something I'll look at closely.

It sounding more and more like this may not be the best time to jump into a high-end 4k unit for use as a TV and PC gaming monitor. The LG sounds like a great unit based on what I'm reading and at 65" it's only slightly smaller. However there are so many questions right now. I'm not even sure what's going on over at Darbee. Do they have even have a 4k capable Darblet?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I can't speak to that, but the reviewer says he used the Darbee DVP 5000 with a Sony 4K Projector.

I can't imagine that he'd write a review incorporating that fact in an AV Magazine if it weren't so.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I can't speak to that, but the reviewer says he used the Darbee DVP 5000 with a Sony 4K Projector.

I can't imagine that he'd write a review incorporating that fact in an AV Magazine if it weren't so.
I'm not doubting it, my point is that it's very likely they were running at 30hz or with 4:2:0 chroma because HDMI 1.4 just doesn't have the bandwidth for 3840x2160 60hz 4:4:4.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The current Darbee is limited to 2k in and 2k out. Whether they will produce a 4k in 4k out model or the hardware to incorporate 4k in and 4k out for other devices (e.g. Oppo or Lumagen) is unknown at this point. Based upon personal experience, using the current Darbee to enhance 2k sources that are then scaled to 4k improves PQ.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
dsinger is correct. A little further research supports his statement that the Darbee unit is 2k in and out. The reviewer was apparently upscaling the Darblet enhanced signal as dsinger suggested.

I have heard that Darbee will be coming out with a 4K version when 4K adoption is more widespread, with more 4K material available.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
OLED is still a way off from being cost competitive with LED/LCD. The primary reason is that currently only one company makes the panels and the manufacturing capacities are extremely limited. I would imagine it will be 2017 or later before we see real price parity. Also, LG has shown that while they can make a great panel, as far as processing goes, they are woefully behind. There are problems with CMS, input lag, 3D lip-sync and several others. Once they begin to sell the panels to Sony, Panasonic and Samsung, this should get better - though it is still a ways off.

Personally, I just spent a lot of time with the new Samsung JS9500 and was blown away. The new FALD backlight along with the 10-bit panel and QD are almost there compared to OLED and they are available today at much better prices along with full HDR support. I love the idea of the One Connect box, so I can upgrade tech if the standards change. You might want to check it out.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
OLED is still a way off from being cost competitive with LED/LCD. The primary reason is that currently only one company makes the panels and the manufacturing capacities are extremely limited. I would imagine it will be 2017 or later before we see real price parity. Also, LG has shown that while they can make a great panel, as far as processing goes, they are woefully behind. There are problems with CMS, input lag, 3D lip-sync and several others. Once they begin to sell the panels to Sony, Panasonic and Samsung, this should get better - though it is still a ways off.

Personally, I just spent a lot of time with the new Samsung JS9500 and was blown away. The new FALD backlight along with the 10-bit panel and QD are almost there compared to OLED and they are available today at much better prices along with full HDR support. I love the idea of the One Connect box, so I can upgrade tech if the standards change. You might want to check it out.
One thing I am certain of is that that is never going to happen...

Do you own a JS9500 or just auditioning on the bright showroom floor? I'm still awaiting first AVS members owning that TV to take some measurements of black levels when viewed in a dark room.

Preliminary indications from HDTVTEST suggest a very poor
Native Contrast Ratio (which should translate into very mediocre black levels when viewed in a dark room), but I am awaiting owner measurements here on AVS...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That's funny that you mention that TV. I was just looking at it after thinking that I really don't want to deal with the problems that the LG would hand me after I hand them $7k. How does the Samsung compare to the LG in a room with light? I've got those windows to contend with, so I have to factor that in.

I'm not familiar with the One Connect box at all as I haven't been keeping up with equipment lately. I'll take a look at it now.

Having a beast of computer connected to the TV in my man cave is simply a requirement now. It worked so well with the Elite + Darbee for the most part. The only issue that I'm really worried won't be solved is lag. Nvidia seems to address this with G-Sync on 4k monitors now. Of the Samsung and LG, which has the lower latency (ms)? I really do not want to sacrifice anything in the way of video quality if I don't have to. Movies, live sports and gaming are all equally important to me. Therefore, the TV has to be the best that I'm comfortable paying for.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The input lag on the Samsung will be MUCH less as the LG is reported around 70+ ms.

The One Connect box is the removable processor and input box connected to the set via a proprietary cable. They have upgraded them several times already.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Fafrd,

No measurements, just side-by-side with the JS9000 and the Sony. Looked great to me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The input lag on the Samsung will be MUCH less as the LG is reported around 70+ ms.

The One Connect box is the removable processor and input box connected to the set via a proprietary cable. They have upgraded them several times already.
I haven't seen any input lag measurements for any 4K OLED yet, if you have a source, please link it as I am interested.

The 4K LCDs from LG have very high input lag but this doesn't mean the OLEDs do.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I know nothing about OLED. My info about LCD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.