AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased dynaudio 42s all around. They're 4 ohm loads and 86 sensitivity. I'm currently using a B&K AVR202 rated at approx. 150W into 4 ohms.

I'm wondering if I'll get a big boost in soundstage and dynamics if I upgrade to a 5 channel amp rated at 200W plus into 4 ohms?

Can anyone recommend good 5 channel amps that support more that 200W into 4 ohm loads?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simpjr
I'm wondering if I'll get a big boost in soundstage and dynamics if I upgrade to a 5 channel amp rated at 200W plus into 4 ohms?

Can anyone recommend good 5 channel amps that support more that 200W into 4 ohm loads?
Depends on how loud you listen to your movies / music now. IF you are clipping your current amp then yes.

As for the second question - there are a ton of amps that meet that requirement at various price points. You may want to start off (borrow) with a good 2 ch amp and if you find that helps and go from there.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
I recently purchased dynaudio 42s all around. They're 4 ohm loads and 86 sensitivity. I'm currently using a B&K AVR202 rated at approx. 150W into 4 ohms.

Take a look at ATI. http://www.ati-amp.com/

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I had the same receiver and while it is a great receiver, a power amp will make a huge difference. I went with Aragons, 8008BB and 8008Bx3. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Agree on the Sunfire. They run cool, and thrive on low-impedance loads.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
150W into 4 ohms.

Nope if you only increase to 200W at 4 ohms. 10*log(200/150) = 1.2dB louder - barely audible. That said, 300W at 4ohms is 3dB louder and you may hear that. Where you really may hear the difference with separates is in "dynamic power" - how loud it can play a brief transient without clipping, but few manufacturers publish those specs. I agree with others here, upgrade the front 3 first. The surrounds generally don't need much power and your receiver should be fine for them.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
"I agree with others here, upgrade the front 3 first"

Also in my opinion the way to go. A Cinenova Grande 3 would give you 600 X 3 @ 4 ohms. They can be found used for

John

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
Agree on the Sunfire. They run cool, and thrive on low-impedance loads.
That's been a characteristic of Bob Carver's amps since Phase Linear.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:

I think that's going to be more of a function of amp quality than power output.

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
I agree with others here, upgrade the front 3 first. The surrounds generally don't need much power and your receiver should be fine for them.
Not me. Take a big bite - do all five channels at once.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The ATI 3000 series amp will give you 300W @ 8 ohms and 450W @ 4 ohms. It is available with 2-7 channels, whatever you need, and it is uses fully balanced circuits/inputs as well.

Dsmith

·
Wireless member
27,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith901
The ATI 3000 series amp will give you 300W @ 8 ohms and 450W @ 4 ohms. It is available with 2-7 channels, whatever you need, and it is uses fully balanced circuits/inputs as well.

Dsmith
If that's more watts than you need and/or too rich for your budget, take a look at the 200x series. Same circuit design and build quality as the 300x series, but only 200W/ch at 8 ohms and 300W/ch at 4 ohms.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Look at the sherbourn 5/5210. It is a monoblock design and can be upgraded with 2 more channels to 7x200 if you want down the road.

You could also add the channels and bridge them into the front L and R for 400 watts each if you like.

The sherbourn is very reasonably priced and just upgraded the faceplate which is much cooler than the one I've got now (7x200 model). :(

John

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'd check into the Classe CAV-150 (6x300 @ 4ohm). I think it would be a nice, warm match for your Dynaudios. You can find them used for around $2k.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sherbourn 5/5210 or 7/2100 and bridge two of them so you have 400 WPC for your mains and 200 on the other three :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iqwertyi
Sherbourn 5/5210 or 7/2100 and bridge two of them so you have 400 WPC for your mains and 200 on the other three :)
I'm with iqwertyi.

I have the Sherbourn 5/5210 and it is awesome!

It was the best investment I have made so far.

I am now upgrading to the 7/2100.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.