AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just made the transition from a tube tv to a lcd. I have a Toshiba 40ft1u connected to a ps3 with a hdmi cable that's being used for blu rays, dvds and video games. I've decided to get a blu ray or dvd to get all my settings right and get the most out of my purchase. Can anyone help me out selecting one? I'm pretty much a beginner and don't want something real complicated. Thank you. Not sure if this is the right section...

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is a dumb question but can I use the disney wow bluray cd on my ps3 to help calibrate? It doesn't actually change the settings itself, it just gives you directs to try and get the best right?

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspro1 /forum/post/19524841

this is a dumb question but can I use the disney wow bluray cd on my ps3 to help calibrate? It doesn't actually change the settings itself, it just gives you directs to try and get the best right?

I just need to know this really quick please..

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
That Blu-ray Disc title is a tutorial program for calibrating HDTV displays and audio systems. It includes instructions for using its video test patterns and audio test signals for making the proper adjustments to your equipment. You can play it on your PS3 or any other Blu-ray Disc player. The program is divided into sections for beginners, advanced, and/or professional users.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
What type of contrast test does the WOW disc use? I have the S&M disc, and the contrast test is so confusing and complicated, I don't know if I have it set right or not.

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/19530329

What type of contrast test does the WOW disc use? I have the S&M disc, and the contrast test is so confusing and complicated, I don't know if I have it set right or not.

In my review you'll see a screenshot for the brightness test. It's the opposite of that, with a white pattern. It tells you to adjust your contrast until only certain objects are visible. It's simple.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Do any of these discs have all the patterns used for grayscale (0 to 100% IRE windows) and color calibration (75% color windows) for those of us that use a meter?

The DVE Basics does not have the color patterns and I've not used the Spears and WOW discs. Currently I'm using the Rec709 AVS AVCHD disc. So far it's the only one-disc solution that lets me do both grayscale and color calibration.

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
I Found Very Useful the Following Disks I'm Using:

Burosch Professional Display Tuning (AVCHD) For:

- Brightness Contrast Analysis Pattern Useful For Checking:

Grayscale, Red, Green & Blue @ Levels 2,4,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,223,225,227,229,23 1,233,235,237,239,241,243,245,247,249,251,253

- Luma Chroma 48 Level Pattern

---------------------------------------

AVSHD 709 2.0a (Blu-Ray) For:

- Grayscale 5% 20 Steps + Super White 105 & 109, Above White 96,97,98,99 & Below Black 1,2,3,4 Patterns.

- 25%,50%,75%,100% Saturation Patterns.

BD-FPD Benchmark Software for Professional (Blu-Ray) For:

- Resolution Tests 4 Checking Motion Performance.

- Colourscale WRGBYCM Pattern.

Hi-Definition Reference Disc (Blu-Ray) For:

- 20/20 Step B&Wscale Pattern.

- Resolution Tests 4 Checking Motion Performance.

HQV Benchmark (Blu-Ray)

- Jaggies Test Patterns

- Noise Tests

Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark (Blu-Ray) For:

- PLUGE Low (Check Level 16,17 heckboard @ Background)

- Luma & Chroma Multiburst, Luma & Chroma Zone Plate, Chroma Upsampling Error, Clipping

- Edge Adaptive Deinterlacing Test

- Montage Video (Check The White Clipping & Details @ Clouds)

Super HiVi Cast Check & Adjustment (Blu-Ray) For:

White & Black Level Tunnel Pattern, Moving Circle Tests, Rotation Striped Square Tests.....This disk has a lot of tests i don't remember all...

GetGray Digital Video Calibration Professional 1.1a (DVD-PAL & NTSC) For:

- Dual Level +-5 Pattern, Contrast Adjustment's Pattern, RGB Color Ramps.

DVE HD Basics (Blu-Ray) For:

Sharpness & Some Others From Advanced Video Test Patterns Session.

Monster & ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard (DVD)

-Chapters 4 & 5 About Black & White Clipping

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/19530329

I can't think of any better a pattern than what's on the S&M disc. What's your problem with it?

·
Registered
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19536849

I can't think of any better a pattern than what's on the S&M disc. What's your problem with it?

When I raise contrast so all the boxes light up, the highest setting is 8. BUT, when I go down from 8 to -8(I think) all the boxes light up at numerous settings. So I don't really know what to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Thanks Chris. I'll read that AGAIN. I know about looking for color shifting, but how do I know what the proper box color should look like? That's my problem.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greeting

Something devoid of color ... black and white and all the grays in between

regards

·
Registered
6,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/19541908

Greeting

Something devoid of color ... black and white and all the grays in between

regards

OK. I'll check it out again. And then it tells you to watch for white banding/contouring also. It seems impossible to get everything right at once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts