AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend a decent quiet PS for around the $75 or less range.

I have looked at some of the following:

SilverStone SST-400 400W Super Silent Power Supply

NX-3500 Nexus 350 Watt Quiet Power Supply

Antec TruePower 480 Watt ATX

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have an Atech 520w 3 fan PSU. It has adjustable fans, so runs nice and quiet. Inaudible. Also sold at Newegg.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In my work, I have built many computers. I exclusively use PC Power and Cooling, or Antec. I doubt you'll find a PC P&C for $75 or less- and they do have a quiet series. But these power supplies are very unlikely to ever fail, and if they do, they WON'T take out the motherboard. I've had that happen with the cheapo power supplies that may come with the case.

Don't scrimp on the power supply. You want to forget about it, not worry about it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
It's not

Other than that the Fortron FSP-300GN? is very quiet and is about $25 at newegg.

I hope they come out with some higher wattage ones eventually. It sounds like a helluva' PS. Anyway, here's a review link:

Antec Phantom 350: Super-efficient Fanless PSU

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cburbs
Here is my current pc:

# Motherboard & Processor ETC....

ASUS P4P800S, S.478, 533/800FSB, Audio/LAN, DDR333/400, Retail Box

with a std 400 watt ps.

Need something quieter at a reasonable price....

cburbs,

Goto: Power Supply Fundamentals & Recommended Units

and read their recommendations. I think you can find what you need from that list. Newegg sells the Seasonic 400W SuperSilent PS. See here:

SeaSonic Super Silencer 400W ATX Power Supply

It's a little more expensive than what you're looking for, but it's good and silent.

Actually, this is probably a better choice (Antec makes top-drawer stuff):

Antec Smart Power SL400

You can buy it directly from their website, and it's less expensive than the Seasonic. I have the 350W version which came with my Antec Sonata case. It runs almost dead silent.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm using this one: Fortron Source - 12CM Blue LED.

Fortron 400W ATX 12V Power Supply 12CM Large Fan With Manual Fan Speed Control Retail box Fortron 400W ATX 12V Power Supply 12CM Large Fan With Manual Fan Speed Control Retail box On/Off Switch

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have the Seasonic Super Tornado 300 Rev 3 (top of the heap at SPCR) - nice PSU with almost no noticeable noise. I also have a Super Silencer 350 in my office system - it's very quiet but louder than the Tornado (go figure!). I orginally had a Rev 1 Super Tornado that had a whining sound - Seasonic replaced it with a brand new unit within 7 days. Great customer service and great power supplies.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Antec Truepower 330 or SL350 - you haven't said what you run in your PC, but a good quality 330 or 350 W PS is usually enough. Plus it helps conserve power, as power supplies are less efficient at lower loads.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd recommend SilenX as well. They really are about as close to silent as you'll get with a fan !

I had to put my hand next to the fan to make sure it was spinning.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
BTW cburbs,

Make sure you buy one of those silencing kits with the rubber-like gasket for the power supply. Antec makes them, and you can buy them from Antec, Compusa, or perhaps Newegg. You also get some little rubber stick-on thingies with the kit. The point is, you want to isolate your case from the vibration of your fan(s)/power supply.

PC Noise Killer Kit

An alternative that I saw some modder do was to buy the clear rubber tubing from the plumbing section at Lowes or Home Repo and cut small 1/8-1/4" sections to serve as "screw gaskets" for isolation.

Good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.