AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank Avs and it's members for steering me in the right direction.After reading the Plasma faq and numerous post's.I decided to purchase the Panny TH-42PWD5UY From Dell,and employ the price match strategy.

The first Csr I talked to would'nt even budge from the Dell online price.After a few hours I decided to call again,Lo and behold the Plasma Gods smiled upon me and connected me with a Csr that was most helpful.Armed with

price quotes from different websites,with the cheapest price before shipping.The Csr price matched my offer and upgraded me from free shipping to next day free shipping.

Then ,the wife finds out .She knew something was up when I woke up at 4 am and took her shopping for after Thanksgiving Specials.After 7 hours of shopping,and noticing that I did'nt buy anything except for a coke she asked what's up.

Anyway I need a movie to show that would bring out the display to it's fullest.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I deserve it,I've been good this year.

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
Good going

we want a full review!

here are 3 DVD's that are popular and good for evaluation/comparisons:

1) The Fifth Element (superbit version: look closely for detail at Leeloo's face chapter 8:45)

2) Toy Story ( I and/or II)

3) Avia or Video Essentials test disc

Enjoy!

Mark

·
Registered
711 Posts
Try Anna and the King. The scenery is really spectacular and the sound is wonderful - very lush score and (if you have a good surround sound set-up) you almost want to go and find an umbrella during the rain scenes. One of my wife's favorites (mine too).

·
Registered
411 Posts
The Digital software forum here is very helpful as suggested earlier. Search that forum and go shopping. There will be much to choose from.

Some of the animated stuff is very good like Toy Story, Shrek, Monster's Inc, Bug's Life etc. Most of the Superbit productions are good. It seems those with animation, sci fi or nature scenery provide the most notable picture pop when done right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Flip,

Congrats on the purchase. I am ready to buy my 42PWD5UY from Dell and need some advice to get the best price from the CSR. The price online is around 3700 in State/Local section. I was wondering if:

* is it in stock?

* you paid any tax?

* got the stand ?

* What web sites did you quote for the price match/reduction?

* got what percentage of discount ?

* What did you have to tell them so they sell this to you an individual, not a state/local dept.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.I do have Amelie and Toy story,I'll pop that in when

the plasma comes in.I used pricegrabber and I looked around and called

plasmaextreme and visualapex.Visualapex gave me a quote of $3499 + $100 shipping + $175 for the wallmount.Paul was'nt there so Charlie gave me the quote.Dell matched the price of the plasma and they have a special on free shipping that ends on Monday.Dell gave me an upgrade on the shipping.The wall mount was cheaper at Dell $124.85.I also used my credit card,so it doubled my warranty to two years.I was ready to purchase from Visualapex,when the Csr from Dell gave me a call.What swayed me over was the fact that you can return a damaged plasma to Dell within 30 days upon receipt of goods.Plus you do'nt have to pay to ship it back.I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
...Then ,the wife finds out .She knew something was up when I woke up at 4 am and took her shopping for after Thanksgiving Specials.After 7 hours of shopping,and noticing that I did'nt buy anything except for a coke she asked what's up.
Is she still speaking to you?

This thread is making me laugh...I don't have any movie recommendations, but good luck!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I second lord of the rings.Everytime I watch it on my panny I'm in awe!!!I just sit there repeating plasma...plasma...plasma... for 3 hours.My wife loves the plasma by the way. bm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Flip:

I watched this thread and found that these guys are also recommending guys' movie, all special effect and visual spectacular. You have to go at the heart of women: Try "You've got mail" or "Pride and Prejudice".

Good luck with it.

cchckc

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bugs Life

Antz

Monsters Inc.

Final Fantasy -- The Spirits Within

anything Star Wars

anything considered a tear jerker (a snuggle movie)..personally I don't like them, but they seem to score big points in 'AWWWW' factor...

:D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure it's an anamorphic widescreen disc on a progressive scan dvd player (for picture quality), and nothing in 2:35:1 aspect ratio (she may not understand the black bars on a "widescreen tv".) Find something in 1:85:1 or 1:66:1. If it's not perfect, she may be even more unhappy with you!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Definitely Lord of the Rings, unless she isn't into that sort of thing. It's tough to best it for either picture or sound. Fifth Element superbit might best it, but it isn't as good a movie (IMO).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree about not using 2.35:1 movies. I hate them. Is there some way we could put pressure on the distributors, disc producers to release mainly 1.85:1

Many people are buying plasmas and widescreen CRTs in 16:9 only to find so many 2.35:1 discs where a lot of screen real estate is unused. I find zoom etc a very unsatisfactory way of compensating as the resulting distortions are obvious.

Does this forum have enough influence to change this? What do others think?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
LOTR is definitely not a guy movie (although almost everything else we recommend out here IS a guy movie). Personally, I think this movie is by far surpassing any previous movie I've ever seen (including star wars). I've recently sat down to watch it for a second time (it's too long for "occasional viewing") and it blew me away exactly the same as it did the first time.

I can't say the same about any other movie.

My advise is to find a movie she really liked in the past and buy it. My wife liked Memento (I haven't seen it a second time yet).

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
LOR is a great edition but those Orcs and goblins are hard to look at.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigN
I agree about not using 2.35:1 movies. I hate them. Is there some way we could put pressure on the distributors, disc producers to release mainly 1.85:1

Many people are buying plasmas and widescreen CRTs in 16:9 only to find so many 2.35:1 discs where a lot of screen real estate is unused. I find zoom etc a very unsatisfactory way of compensating as the resulting distortions are obvious.

Does this forum have enough influence to change this? What do others think?
Whoa, whoa, hold on there! I never said anything about HATING 2:35:1 movies! I was just helping him pick a movie that wouldn't cause his wife to say "what the heck, you paid how much?" I think you will find that the general concensis around here is OAR (original aspect ratio) or nothing! The real problem today is trying to decide on whether you want the original movie theater aspect ratio, or some sort of open matte (with director approval of course.) To crop a 2:35:1 to 16:9 is almost as bad as pan and scan for me. This is a whole topic to itself really.... just remember that 16:9 is a digital TELEVISION standard and was not really intended to be for movies. I imagine some years down the road, we will still have 2 versions of each movie, OAR + 16:9, but I hope not!

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife got hooked into 16:9 while watching "Mars Attacks!" at a friend's house, so go figure. I suggest something she'll enjoy anyway, probably not animation because those almost always have their action centered -- you see the essential details just fine on 4:3 (or 12:9 as I call it). Generally speaking, she'll want a good looking guy or a really funny situation.

Just a thought-- for a missus ino old-school rock music, play "Woodstock". That's impossible to display well on anything but a 16:9 screen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.