AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I appreciate your input.

I am looking for a FP that falls between the $1500 - $3000 range.

Some info:

1) Room Light Controlled (dark)

2) Movie Watching 100%

3) I want Anamorphic 2:35 (Use zoom method for now)

4) Looking for good contrast and black levels.

5) Room dimensions (Ceiling height = 10 feet, Width = 13 feet, From front wall to where approx lens of FP will be 15.5 feet. Seating Distance at 12 feet.

6) Looking to projector between a 100-103" screen (My speakers steal some room, but dont have enough front to back space to build a false wall)

7) Looking to build a screen out of Wilson art Laminate Designer White.

8) Currently have Samsung Plasma 55"

9) Projector will be on shelf on back wall.

10 Watch movies in SD, but am looking at 1080P.

Love the color richness on plasma, but plasma suffers from green crush in dark scenes and is tool small now
Kids love dark scenes like space/planets etc. Star Wars

What projector can you recommend that will fit my above scenario with zoom method for 2:35.

I would rather have an excellent image what money can buy and manually zoom via remote than a preset zoom function since most of time I just watch movies.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I think the projector that will best fit your needs right now is the Panasonic ae3000u. It has 3 lens memories, so you can set 16:9, 2.35:1, and another ratio of your choice, and by picking whichever aspect you want the projector will automatically zoom and focus to that setting. It does also have V-stretch, so if you decide to go with an anamorphic lens in the future, you can do that. It doesn't have the greatest black levels, but they're not horrible (I have two Kuro plasmas and the ae3000u, so I notice the black levels, but it's not a deal breaker for me since the 3000u brings so many others features to the table that I like). It does tend to have a slightly softer picture than some comparable projectors, due to Panasonic's "smoothscreen" technology, which fills in the inter-pixel gap slightly. I feel that this is beneficial with my seating distances (first row is about 9' from a 136" 2.35:1 Carada screen, second row is about 15' away), and lends the picture a more theatrical look. It's also not the brightest PJ, but in a light-controlled room it will be more than enough. My ISF calibrations gave me a pic with accurate color points and decent gamma (Cinema 1), but it only is pushing about 6 1/2 to 7 foot-lamberts. My calibrated "Normal" setting ups the light output to about 14-15 foot lamberts for when I'm watching sports with some lights on (I host a MNF group every week, and we don't really want to sit in the dark), but there is some red push to the picture (not horrible, but to correct I would lose some brightness).

Every projector you look at will have pros and cons. For your needs, though, I think the ae3000u is the best compromise for everything you're looking for.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Schoedk,

I will keep my eye on the Panny ae3000u, also cant wait for the new pj's after CES.

Any other projector recommendations based on above needs?

I might also post this in the above $3000 thread.

Thanks

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts