AVS Forum banner

recommend a good analog cable tuner?

818 Views 11 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Ratman
Hey folks, apologies for asking such a basic question but I don't do cable TV, and this is for my in-laws...

I'm setting up what will be, hardware-wise, pretty much a mirror of my own HT for my in-laws and I'm currently researching what hardware I'll need, etc. They would like to be able to (occasionally) watch a movie that happens to be on cable in their HT room so I need some sort of tuner to stick in their rig. What I would like is something fairly inexepensive that tunes regular analog cable and outputs component video. I would just use one of the many VCR units they have sitting around but I'd really like to get component if possible, not just composite or s-video.

Who manufactures such a gadget? Anyone? Bueller? Everything I can find out there is HD. I even called their cable company (Cox, in Hampton Roads, VA) and they refused to say anything but "buy our HD package and you can get component out" over and over...

I should probably emphasize that there's really no need whatsoever here to be concerned with being "ready" for HD service, or that component "should really" be HDMI or DVI instead, etc. All they need and all I'm looking for is something to tune analog cable and shoot it into the receiver over a component cable. As a last resort, I could use something with composite or s-video out but component would be preferable as those look pretty terrible at 82" - any help or suggestions appreciated!

:)
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Use the VCR with composite or S-video. With analog, component "buys" you absolutely nothing.

If you're not going HD, then there's no need for component (or better DVI/HDMI).
If you are only using analog cable if you go through the trouble of using the component input to the display you will probably be very disappointed with the results!!

To do this would take additional equipment and again analog cable??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
With analog, component "buys" you absolutely nothing.

If you're not going HD, then there's no need for component (or better DVI/HDMI).
I'm confused at what you're implying. There is a tremendous quality difference between watching a simple, standard definition 480 line analog video signal over component versus s-video or composite. It's true for videogames, it's true for DVD players, it's true for TV out on a PC, why wouldn't it be true for cable television?

I'm not deluded, I don't think the signal is going to "get cleaner" than it is from the cable company - but it certainly will look better at the projector after 30 feet of cable if it's moving over a component hookup than if it were going over s-video or composite...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge
To do this would take additional equipment and again analog cable??
If the equipment required would be expensive I suppose I could just tell them not to bother. It seemed like something that should be easy, but I guess everyone is obsessed with digital cable now so perhaps nobody makes an analog cable tuner with nice outputs. It's a waste of time if you ask me, I hate all forms of television and have none (not even an antenna) but they like cable so I was just trying to figure a way to keep it from being too fugly...
I'm not implying anything... it's a fact. With 480i signals, S-Video may provide a slightly better picture over composite due to the separation of the chroma/luma signals. The benefit to 'upgrade' to component from S-Video is not worth the effort nor the expense.

If your talking 480p and higher... you have no choice but to go to component cables to acheive ED/HD resolutions.

30' of composite or 30' of component same distance, same cable, 1/3 the price.

Use a VCR and save yourself the time, trouble and $$.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
I'm not implying anything... it's a fact. With 480i signals, S-Video may provide a slightly better picture over composite due to the separation of the chroma/luma signals. The benefit to 'upgrade' to component from S-Video is not worth the effort nor the expense.

If your talking 480p and higher... you have no choice but to go to component cables to acheive ED/HD resolutions.

30' of composite or 30' of component same distance, same cable, 1/3 the price.

Use a VCR and save yourself the time, trouble and $$.
I appreciate your input, but I'm wondering if you've actually done what you're talking about. I personally am using component to carry 480i about 30 feet at my house and the difference between the same source being watched over component versus s-video is remarkable.

As for cable cost, one has to be pretty silly to purchase special "component" cable. There really is no such thing, it's just three signals and you can carry it around however you like as long as you shield it well. Personally, I'm using three pieces of high grade coaxial cable with coverters to RCA jacks at the ends. Total cost was about $25, roughly the same as a high quality equally well shielded s-video cable.

I'm probably going to just use VCR at the in-laws' but dude don't go telling people "component and s-video look the same for 480i" because they're not even remotely in the same ballpark...
See less See more
Yes I have... dude.

Maybe you just had a crappy S-video cable... who knows?

Where did I say "special" component cable?

You asked for help/opinions and you got 'em.

Do what you think best.
To the original question, what we are trying to sum up are the following points:

1) If you are only using ANALOG cable as a source the difference between using the modulated (ch3-4) and any other type of cable you should notice a difference.

However going from composite (RCA) to S you may notice a slight difference, from RCA or S to component you may not notice any difference or it could actually look worse!!

Each type of cable mentioned above carries the signal differently from the others (if you wish I can point you to a reference document that will explain the differences).

2) With other sources such as progressive scan of a DVD the component cable can make a big difference compared to the others .

To do what you asked for it would take at least a DVD recorder (this has a built in analog tuner) that has component outputs, any thing else (to my knowledge) would be a specialty

device and it would be very expensive!!

Again if you are talking analog cable you will probably be very disappointed!!
See less See more
Is the TV analog or higher rez digital? I find very little difference with my DVD recorder to my analog set between component and s-video. (Just more of a red push with component, but that's just my specific set). Any slight difference in color, if any at all, can be adjusted accordingly. The sharpness - no difference whatsoever. If it's an HD ready TV, I don't think it's gonna make a whole heck of a lot of difference with an analog cable signal anyway (especially depending on the size of the screen). It's still not gonna look that great. I think that's what everyone here is trying to say. Your experience may tell you differently, and that's fine. Other than a VCR, the aforementioned DVD recorder would be about your only choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
Is the TV analog or higher rez digital? I find very little difference with my DVD recorder to my analog set between component and s-video. (Just more of a red push with component, but that's just my specific set). Any slight difference in color, if any at all, can be adjusted accordingly. The sharpness - no difference whatsoever. If it's an HD ready TV, I don't think it's gonna make a whole heck of a lot of difference with an analog cable signal anyway (especially depending on the size of the screen). It's still not gonna look that great. I think that's what everyone here is trying to say. Your experience may tell you differently, and that's fine. Other than a VCR, the aforementioned DVD recorder would be about your only choice.
Thanks, upon further reflection I think the reason I wasn't understanding what folks were saying is that I don't watch television (yeah, I know freakish). I've never actually had cable TV personally in my life. So after some looking at other people's setups I think what I've realized that analog cable, specifically, looks like ****e and thus the transport doesn't matter much. However, other sources (such as a videogame system or a DVD player) look very very very different going through 30 feet of component cable versus 30 feet of s-video or composite (or even 6 feet of the same).
See less See more
Not necessarily with non-ED/HD video sources.

It has nothing to do with analog cable (for this discussion).
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.