AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a receiver that is in my budget and meets my needs, which are fairly simple. I would like to keep my budget at a max of $300, don't mind getting last years models used.


I have a Samsung DLP (about 3 years old), PS3 and just picked up a set of Infinity Primus 362. I will eventually be adding onto the system probably 5.1 but would like the option of 7.1


This will be used for a little bit of everything. Movies, games, TV, musicetc


Any suggestions of what I should look at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
I'd stretch that budget a little and try to find a Yamaha RX-V661 for $350.

I'ts certainly available for less than that from un-authorized dealers; call 6ave or other authorized dealers and ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/14177908


I'd stretch that budget a little and try to find a Yamaha RX-V661 for $350.

I'ts certainly available for less than that from un-authorized dealers; call 6ave or other authorized dealers and ask.

A 663 can be had for under $400 shipped. The 463 is inexpensive and Onkyo has some models in the $300 price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
I'd stretch that budget a little and find a Yamaha RX-V663 for $350.

Call 6ave [email protected] and ask for the AVS special members pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts
If you want to go new the Onkyo 506 is a good way to go for

I personally would go refurbished from the Harman Kardon Factory Ebay auctions with full 2 year warranty with the HK 247. You'll get full HDMI audio ability in a great sounding receiver for around $225. Do an ebay search for the ended auctions and you can see what the recent once have went for, also the seller is harmanaudio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Yamaha was the one I was researching (661 and 663) and it looks like it is recommended by a few of you guys. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used one; hopefully I can get a deal on ebay or craigslist.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/14179613


If you want to go new the Onkyo 506 is a good way to go for

I personally would go refurbished from the Harman Kardon Factory Ebay auctions with full 2 year warranty with the HK 247. You'll get full HDMI audio ability in a great sounding receiver for around $225. Do an ebay search for the ended auctions and you can see what the recent once have went for, also the seller is harmanaudio.


I have always been a fan of HK and from what I remember, it has a much cleaner sound but is 50 watts enough power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forereal /forum/post/14179724


The Yamaha was the one I was researching (661 and 663) and it looks like it is recommended by a few of you guys. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used one; hopefully I can get a deal on ebay or craigslist.






I have always been a fan of HK and from what I remember, it has a much cleaner sound but is 50 watts enough power?

HK rates receivers differently from most manufacturers. Their figures are with all channels driven and are really much closer to real world performance than others. Performance wise they will be equal or more powerful to any comparable receiver in their price range no matter what the specs list, power won't be an issue.


I purchased a HK 147 from the auctions about a month ago. It came as new, no a scratch or or blemish on it-that will vary, they do specify that they may have slight cosmetic defects since they are refurbs but will perform as new and have full new warranty. Anyway it's rated at 40w per channel and I have had no issues with it what so ever, it's as or more powerful than comparable receivers I've tried in the same system and for the price I picked it up at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just spent the last few hours reading the HK 247/347 thread and there just seems to be lot of little problems. Although the majority says the sound quality is excellent, I'm not sure if I want to deal with any issues.


Which brand would you guys say is one of the better ones in terms of reliability?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I myself am in the exact same situation. I need a receiver that won't break the bank but will be very serviceable for the next 2-5 years. I play a lot of music and want it to be loud and fill the rooms so overall sound quality at higher volumes is a concern.

I need some help.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top