AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point I'm pretty fed up with Onkyo. I've owned a 605 for about 6 months (which performed flawlessly and I loved), and recently replaced it with an 805 that has intermittent audio cut-out for no reason within the first week of ownership. I originally guessed an overheating issue, but this just isn't the case as the audio will cut out even if the receiver has been running for 20 minutes and is still ice cold.

I need some recommendations for a receiver that will do much of the same things the 805 could do like HD audio and pre-amp outs, at around the same price I got the 805 ($600). I'm not sure if a receiver even exists that can hang with the 805 at that price point, but I'm willing to listen. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
That's a shame as the Onkyo 805 is one nice piece of equipment. The Yamaha 863 is probably the one to look at, but it's street price is likely high being a new piece of equipment. Can you replace the 805 with another one?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could, but I don't know if I want to. Also, I bought mine refurb'd and that was how I got it at that silly price. I did a lot of reading beforehand and everyone here said refurb'd receivers are perfectly OK to work with. Now Onkyo has sold out of their refurb. stock and I can't replace it for the price I got it at.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo128 /forum/post/14237148

At this point I'm pretty fed up with Onkyo. I've owned a 605 for about 6 months (which performed flawlessly and I loved), and recently replaced it with an 805 that has intermittent audio cut-out for no reason within the first week of ownership. I originally guessed an overheating issue, but this just isn't the case as the audio will cut out even if the receiver has been running for 20 minutes and is still ice cold.

I need some recommendations for a receiver that will do much of the same things the 805 could do like HD audio and pre-amp outs, at around the same price I got the 805 ($600). I'm not sure if a receiver even exists that can hang with the 805 at that price point, but I'm willing to listen. Thanks guys.

What about getting a new one on warranty? Its probably broken. My 805 works perfect.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Any brand can have a faulty unit and obviously refurbs will be more prone to it. You just got unlucky. If you liked Onkyo before don't sweep them aside over one bad experience.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I did enjoy my 605 and I was very excited to get the 805. I was just turned off by the overheating issues I'd been hearing and now mine actually failed. For a couple bills more I can get the 805 new from big river. I'll consider that before I make my decision later tonight.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo128 /forum/post/14240900

Agreed. I did enjoy my 605 and I was very excited to get the 805. I was just turned off by the overheating issues I'd been hearing and now mine actually failed. For a couple bills more I can get the 805 new from big river. I'll consider that before I make my decision later tonight.

I really like the XBox 360 and have had one close to the launch. I never thought I would get the red ring of death that I am sure most know about. But, of course one day my beautiful 360 would not run anymore and I had to send it away for service. In the process I just bought a new one with an extended warranty and sold the repaired one when it came back. It sucks, but I still love it!

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo128 /forum/post/14237148

You could either get a used 905 off ebay, or else wait for the Onkyo 806 that's going to hit in 4-6 weeks, though it'll be closer to $1000 for it since it'll be new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts