AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a small -- sub 19-inch -- LCD to replace the old 13-inch Symphonic that took up valuable kitchen ounter space. Going to mount the new one on an articulating arm. I've measured and think 19 inches is too big for the space. Looks like a 15 or 16 will do fine.

Problem is, BB, Gregg, Costco, Target, Sears and other stores near me don't stock anything in this size, so I can't go see one live. I'm going to have to order online and trust reviews, specs, advice and my gut.

I have very few requirements: it needs to be VESA-mount compatible, needs a composite in to work with the non-HD FIOS box I have in the kitchen, and should not use an external ac power adapter/box. Not having HD source in the kitchen is a bit of a frustration, but I'm not going to pay Verizon's fee to put a large HD box in the kitchen -- and I want to watch some cable stations that they don't broadcast in the clear.

Seiki looks good. But I don't know.

Any suggestions of what's good at this size?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenluvstv /forum/post/20817034

Really?

No one can recommend a 15- or 16-inch LCD or LED TV for a kitchen?

No one owns a smaller set that they like and recommend?

No, not "really." This is pretty much an enthusiasts' Forum and small TVs are rarely discussed. My suggestion would be to go to an electronics store or about anyplace that sells TVs and find one you like. Most of the major brands don't sell anything (or at least anything of quality) in sizes less than 22". That's why you haven't been getting any responses. Sorry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

I don't mean to be over-thinking this. Or even sound like I'm over-thinking this. If I could go to a store and see a 15- or 16-inch TV in operation, that would be enough to satisfy me and I'd buy it. But as I said in my original post, I've been to Best Buy, Gregg, Costco, Sears, Target, and now Wal-Mart and there is no 15- or 16-inch TV on display. So I have to go by instinct and user reviews and simply buy one sight unseen online. I get that.

Did see a Vizio 19-inch that we liked a lot. Going to re-examine the space and see if there's any way to make something that size work.

I'm not expecting the kitchen set to deliver an experience equal to the family room 50-inch Panny with its 500-watt surround system. But I was hoping to avoid choosing a dog. $100 to $200 may not be a lot of money to spend on a TV, but it's a lot of money to waste.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenluvstv /forum/post/20819169

Thanks, guys.

I don't mean to be over-thinking this. Or even sound like I'm over-thinking this. If I could go to a store and see a 15- or 16-inch TV in operation, that would be enough to satisfy me and I'd buy it. But as I said in my original post, I've been to Best Buy, Gregg, Costco, Sears, Target, and now Wal-Mart and there is no 15- or 16-inch TV on display. So I have to go by instinct and user reviews and simply buy one sight unseen online. I get that.

Did see a Vizio 19-inch that we liked a lot. Going to re-examine the space and see if there's any way to make something that size work.

I'm not expecting the kitchen set to deliver an experience equal to the family room 50-inch Panny with its 500-watt surround system. But I was hoping to avoid choosing a dog. $100 to $200 may not be a lot of money to spend on a TV, but it's a lot of money to waste.

Well, I did a search and of the 50 top selling TVs 20" and under on a well-known e-tailer's website. Only about 3-4 were less than 19" and they were brands that I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. Sorry, but you'd better clear off that counter and squeeze in a 19" model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to a local Wal-Mart to try to buy the Vizio Razor E190VA 19-inch edge it LED-LCD that was listed as in-stock on the Web. Got there and it wasn't. Neither was a 19-inch Sanyo that had a really nice picture. So I came home and ordered one online.

My wife and I re-checked the space and the 19-inch Vizio (only 18 inches wide by 12-1/2 high) will fit the space ok. It just won't retract all the way back to the wall and fit into the empty spot; it won't be blocking access to anything, either, so the slightly larger size ended up being no problem.

Anyway, it was good to get my wife into a store yesterday (where it was also on display but not in-stock) so she could see better appreciate the compact size of a 19-inch TV and the quality of the Vizio Razor picture. As with Do-It-Yourself above, the front-facing speakers were another plus.

Went with a site selling them new, though there are bargains to be had with refurb.

Thanks for the input on this admittedly modest purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.