AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks I've asked in a few other forums and I really should have asked in here first, please forgive me ;). In any case I'm gradually upgrading my home entertainment setup. I just recently replaced my Sony STR-G3 with a Harman Kardon AVR-230 receiver which is quite an improvement. Now I'm looking to add a subwoofer to the system to complete it and then start upgrading the speakers. Here's what I'm looking for in a subwoofer:

1. Has a good solid punch & isn't boomy. I use my setup more for movies than I do music
  2. Has enough bass to adequately fill a 16x12 area
  3. Is below $350[/list=1]

If you also know of a place where I can try out your recommended subwoofer in town (in the Littleton, CO area) it would be appreciated. I'd also like a small explanation why you would recommend the particular subwoofer. Right now I'm looking at subwoofers from Velodyne, Athena, Hsu research. Any help you folks can give me is appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
nsafreak,

You might consider listening to suwoofers at you local shops and then try to find a used. There are a couple of good online auctions. I am not sure if avs wants me to list them here so, PM me and I will shot the web addresses over to you.

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hsu STF-2

1. +/- 2db @25Hz

2. Bash amp for 800W peak

3.$315+tax when Compusa has 10% off Sale (reg $349)

You can audition it at Compusa (try Nemo chpt 25).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yamaha YST series is pretty good for the price paid........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really interested in the Hsu subwoofer but I'm having problems finding dealers in my local area. I went to Hsu's website but they don't have a local dealer listing. CompUSA shows that ALL of the stores in my area are out of stock, I'm not even sure if they actively stock the subwoofer or not. Anybody know of an audio store in the Littleton/Denver, CO area that stocks Hsu subwoofers?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give it a listen, just wish I could find a place that sold Hsu Research. See that a lot of good stuff has been said about them and from what I read on this particular sub it's plenty decent for the price. Perhaps I'll go through Soundtrak again as I didn't go into the audio rooms, silly me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The STF-2 is more than just decent, its great. Especially when you consider the unbelievable price for this performance. There may be other subs to consider but this thing delivers the goods for a price others can't touch. Having recently switched out subs, there really are night and day differences out there even among subs in the same price range. I am really happy I went with the STF-2.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of purchasing it online since I can't seem to find a local retailer that sells these, and none of the CompUSAs near me stock them. The problem is at 52 pounds the shipping adds a good bit to the price. Should I get these direct from Hsu or somebody else or is there somebody local?

·
Registered
16 Posts
STF-2 is hot and Compusa's price is unbeatable. That's why you couldn't find one. Hsu sold out STF2 twice and they just restock the 3rd batch. Compusa has a contract with Hsu so they will ship ST2 to Compusa continuously. If I were you I will wait until I can get one from Compusa.

But you may need to check them regually and act promptly because the quantity is limited for every shipment.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you have, or have access to, any woodworking tools along with some, or access to some, basic wood working knowledge?

If you do $350 can build a sub that would slaughter the STF2. The only catch, besides having to build the enclosure yourself to slaughtering the STF2, is the enclosure will end up being rather large.

My two recommended options with this budget for a DIY sub would be an Adire Shiva with a Parts Express 300-794 250W plate amp and a 4" flared port kit. Or an Adire Tempest with the same plate amp and a piece of 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe. Cost on these items will be in the $280-$310 range. Some MDF and/or a piece of sonotube is cheap. If you want a fancy finish wait until you have a little more money. If a basic finish is acceptable you should be able to do that while staing very close to $350.

With an appropriate enclosure design (there are several for each already mapped out for you on various webpages). The Shiva based sub will compare favorably with the likes of the Paradigm PW2200, Hsu STF3/VTF3 or SVS PCi series.

The Tempest will compare favourably to something like a SVS Ultra. The Tempest will however be around 3x as big as the STF2.

All the information you need to build your own sub is readily available from the DIY section of HomeTheaterForum.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai
yamaha YST series is pretty good for the price paid........
I have had my Yamaha YST-SW320 sub for a few years now and it is pretty good. I am looking to upgrade it now to something a little bigger. I have no real complaints with the 320 except for it can be a little boomy with some music. I listened to a Velodyne sub for the price I paid for the Yamaha and the Yamaha was cleaner. The Velodyne (I have no idea what model) did not have a clean crossover or something as I heard not just bass out of the sub but the lyrics to the song as well.

PAT

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, don't have any woodworking tools available nor do I have the skill necessary to make something like an enclosure. Will keep checking CompUSA though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw does anybody know if perhaps there are only certain CompUSAs that stock the VTF-2? The reason I ask is because when I'm browsing online it doesn't show up in the audio products at all although other subwoofers do. Is it perhaps only for the California area CompUSAs since Hsu is based out of California?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
nsafreak, Hsu does not sell their products in retail stores, only online. The STF-2 is the only exception to this and it can only be found at CompUSA.

For around $300, I recommend the Paradigm PDR-10, which you can audition at Cherry Creek Audio. I bought one from them along with the rest of a Paradigm 5.1 setup. They are great to deal with and I would shop there again.

Another very good store is ListenUp. I don't recall what brands they sell but it's worth it to make a visit. They used to have Velodyne and I assume they still do.

I have found Soundtrack to be OK only if you already know what you want and are there simply to buy it. Their staff, in my opinion, sadly lacks knowledge.

Sound Hounds is also one of my favorites. They sell both new and used equipment and generally have good deals. They are located near Park Meadows mall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info filmnut. I'll drop by Cherry Creek & Sound Hounds this Tuesday hopefully. Was going to do a bit of shopping today until the snowstorm blew in :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
I work at the parsippany, nj store and we have a few in stock

awesome sub for the price!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by csv96
I like my Athena AS-P400. You can try it out at your local BestBuy.
^^

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well being the impatient person I am I dropped by Cherry Creek Audio as recommended by filmnut. I listened to a few subs and I decided to go with the Paradigm PDR-10 that he suggested. I'll probably go back to this location for future audio and video needs as the folks there know a good bit more than the average person at Circuit City or Best Buy and can build around your budget. Not to mention they have nice audition room setups.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.