AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An older friend of mine wants to archive his VHS collection to DVD. He's not technical enough to do it on a PC, so I thought a set-top recorder would be the best way to do it. However, I started thinking that most of his collection is movies that he's bought, which would have macrovision protection (right?).

Is there a DVD recorder / VHS combo unit that would be able to back up the movies? Or a unit that removes macrovision protection? I can set the system up for him, and enter a service mode if necessary to disable the protection, but he has literally hundreds of movies to back up, and I'd like it to be simple enough for him to do it himself. Hopefully one of those one-touch dub units.

Hopefully this discussion is allowed on this board.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Copying protected tapes with a combo unit would be difficult as the connections are internal. You might find a way to do it using some combination of the L1/L2 in/out connections and a video stabilizer, but it would be tricky to set up.

I have found though that a lot of commercial tapes are not protected and can be copied to DVD without problem. I use a Panasonic E75 VCR/DVDR combo. It depends mostly on the studio as to whether the tape will be protected. Some studios never use Macrovision, while others (mainly Fox Video, MCA and Disney) always use it. If you were to look at my video cabinet now you would see that 80% of the tapes I have left there are from those three studios.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'd be interested in a solution that's as easy as possible. If it's seperate boxes for playing back VHS and recording to DVD, that's fine. I'm just looking for a solution as simple and universal as possible. I haven't seen this particular vhs collection, but I assume it would be roughly similar to yours, which would mean a lot of macrovision problems.

As far as macrovision removal, any hints to the best way to do it? Find a VHS player that can disable it from the playback side? Find a DVD recorder that's able to disable it from the input source via service menu (are there any?)? Or set a unit like this in between them?
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...uct_Id=3963453

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.