AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Logitech MOMO force-feedback steering wheel hooked-up to my HTPC and widescreen HDTV, but I've yet to experience any real driving pleasure with it. I bought Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 but it drives like crap and, according to the forums, most racing enthusiasts have written it off.

So, can anyone recommend a good racing game? Here's a list of the things I've identified as defining a 'good' racing game:

- lots of detail (DX8-era not earlier)

- outdoors (not repetitive race-track arena)

- good physics (driving feels like a car not a boat)

- widescreen support!

P.S. My current system is P3-850, Radeon 8500, running at 1152x680(?).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdsalsero
No, and I'm congenitally unable to give money to M$. Is it 'all that'?

I've only played the demo and wasn't thrilled with the physics. The graphics are amazing, though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
F1 2002 is awesome. Widescreen and has many third party addons

BUT a p3 850? I don't think you can expect much in terms of frame rate. Have a look at the game forum here on avs.

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree, F1 2002 is definitely an amazing game.. The physics are pretty much spot on, the gfx aren't bad, but aren't as good as grand prix 4.. At least with F1 2002 you can get the utterly stunning FREE mod GT 2002 which turns it into another game basically.

Theres also Nascar Thunder 2003 which is just F1 2002 but basically a nascar mod.

If you're after a rally game.. my pick would have to be Rally Trophy.. An obscure little game which didn't really do very well, but the physics are outstanding, the gfx are ok, nothing flash.. You drive 1970 era cars and its definitely a challenge. Colin Mcrae Rally 2 isn't half bad either for modern era cars.. CMR3 is due out anyday so you might wanna hold onto your cash. Microsoft Rallysport Challenge was terrible.. Nice looking scenery but where did the physics model go? Oh thats right, it was an xbox port.. figures :)

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 was atrocious.. Can't say that I blame you for hating that. No damage modelling, no real competition and the physics were rather iffy. The best out of the series is easily NFS 5 Porsche Challenge. It had damage modelling, the physics weren't half bad and it even was a bit of a challenge..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mjcumming, what games forum? I couldn't find one in the list of forums.

as for F1 2002, I'll check-out the playable demo but does it have any scenery?

re my CPU, I've got an Athlon 2100+ I'm going to throw in there eventually (probably this fall when Doom III and Half-Life 2 come out, forcing me to upgrade my main gaming PC).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like the Xbox game Burnout. Does anyone know if this will be coming to the PC or if there is a game on the PC with a similar realistic damage engine?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Are there are games that are specifically designed for a force-feedback wheel? Usually, when I try one, it feels like you are at a disadvantage for using the wheel.

I want a game that feels as good as Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin' was in the arcade.

Anything out there?

Andy K.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
One of my favorites is Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed. This game is really fun and works awesome with my Act Labs wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vladdy
I agree, F1 2002 is definitely an amazing game.. The physics are pretty much spot on, the gfx aren't bad, but aren't as good as grand prix 4.. At least with F1 2002 you can get the utterly stunning FREE mod GT 2002 which turns it into another game basically.
Also, there is an amazing add-on track (the old Nurburgring circuit with 174 turns and 14,189 miles) for the GT 2002 mod.

If you liked circa 1960s F1, a great game is Grand Prix Legends, which covers the 1967 F1 season. It's quite old now, released in 1998, but the user community has kept it quite fresh. Physics are outstanding (steepish learning curve), and the amount of quality addon-tracks (in addtion to the standard 11 tracks) is simply amazing. It will take a bit or work to get going (besides finding a copy of GPL), but you might find it interesting.

Here are some links
GPL Track Database - when you want to try more than the standard tracks, go here, and sort the database by the "Must-have score" to get amazing tracks like Laguna Seca, Bathurst, Lime Rock, Lemans, Pau, Oulton Park, ...

GPLEA - the one place to go to get updated cars.

Papyrus GPL Downloads or GPL++ The Addons (Patches) to get the latest 1.2 patch (which adds excellent force feedback support), CPU speed fix, and Direct3D Rasterizer.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Check out the GT 2002 mod for F1 2002, but I wouldn't expect much with th 850 though.

kromkamp check out the mod for it and if you really want the race driving experience http://www.act-labs.com/Products/racingcombo.htm this might peek your interest.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought Need For Speed - Porsche Unleashed. It is easily the most enjoyable driving game I have ever used. The vehicle dynamics models are great - especially the inherent over-steering modeling of a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. The graphics are fantastic and the maps are great. You won't be disappointed in the least. Read the reviews - they will confirm that this is the driving game to get.

I agree that NFS Hot Pursuit was a far cry. You'll like Porsche Unleashed - A LOT!

HTBuilder

·
Registered
157 Posts
NFS Porsche Unleased does not officially support XP, though there are people who do it. When I try to run it I get a DirectX error (I've got DX9 installed). None of my other games give me a hard time.

I downloaded Rallisport Trial from MS last night. Someone sent me an IM while I was playing and my system went into fits. It locked my desktop at 640x480 and I had to reboot to fix it.

I know there was a thread hanging around that listed PC games with wide-screen support. I'd like to start a new list of XP-compatible games with wide-screen support.

Mike

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I run Porsche Unleashed on XP and it works fine. There is a setting in the ATI control panel you have to set. It's been a long time since I set it, but I think it was reducing the Z-buffer depth. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
A little older, but the still the best force feedback game I have played (I have the old Logitech Formula Force wheel) is Need For Speed 3, as your system is a little older, take a look at this one, you could probably find it in a Walmart bargain bin for $5 and it will run perfectly smoothly for you. The newer versions are flashier, with more advanced graphics, but NFS3 was the best driving feel IMHO.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Colin Mcrea 2.0 has amazing physics but the graphics are a bit dated but shoud work great on your system. IMHO the NFS games are best left in the arcade, they are totally unrealistic as far as physics are concerned.

Wes

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've burnt many hours playing car games on different platforms, so my 2 cents...

PC = Best thing I've ever played on a PC is Porsche Unlimited. Everything other people have already said is true. It's that good IMO. I quite like Need for Speed 4 as well. For fun - I like Interstate '76...sort of thing you either love or hate.

Playstation 1 = Gran Turismo 1 or 2 for pure satisfaction. Colin McRae Rallying comes close, it's very good. Porsche Challenge & Driver is good for fun.

Playstation 2 = Gran Turismo 3. It's just so good! I recently have got a force feedback wheel and pedals, and am 're-learning' how to play again. As a fun choice, I like RS (Riding Spirits). Motorcycle version of Gran Turismo. Lots of fun, but realism leaves a bit to be desired.

These are my opinions...feel free to disagree! I would sacrifice graphics any day for playability...but I had an Atari 2600 at 11, so I know about poor graphics :)

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.