AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up an entertainment room, 20'X14', widescreen HDTV at one of the narrow ends, U shaped couch at the other. I'm looking for recommendations on a receiver and surround speakers with a budget of $1200.

The front speakers need to be small to fit in the entertainment center and I'd like place the subwoofer behind the couch.

I've been to Circuit City, Best Buy and other stores to listen to speaker setups but have been frustrated as the demo rooms have never been totally functional. I need to narrow down a decent speaker setup to fill this space for music and movies.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Didn't you know, nobody wants you to audition speakers at these volume discount stores. They'd rather you hear the salesman's pitch. Remember the sizzle is more important than the steak!

I'd recommend going to an audio store that specializes in HT. The other option is online vendors. You won't be able to audition them but you'll get good value for your money.There's the ventriloquist system by STF. They're a sponsor here so do a search and see how people feel about them.From what I've read It's quite a good package.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-12-stf-2.html

For a receiver you mentioned music as well. Warm receivers like Marantz and Harman Kardon are good for listening to music.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Personally, I like to split the money fairly evenly threways, if you go for a 5.1 system. I.e. approx 400 for a receiver, and 800 for speakers/sub.

HomeTheaterDirect.com sells a Level3 package, that includes 5.1 (bookshelves, center, bookshelves, sub) for 799. I'm not sure exactly HOW small the speakers need to be, but the bookshelves are pretty average size.

Add on a receiver like the Pioneer d912, for approx 300+, and you have yourself a decent system, that is easy to setup, since the Pio adjusts speaker levels and distance automatically (through a microphone)

You also have some change for speaker wire/signal wire and speaker stands/wall brackets for surrounds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.