AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I want to get a BR reader for my server because of the slow transfer rate I have in my home network (MOCA adaptor keeps the rate at 10-11Mbps). Ripping to my desktop and transferring takes forever.

Even using an external drive takes a while (20Mbps) because the server does not have USB 3.0.

I am currently transferring whatever discs I've already ripped, but in the future I would prefer to just rip directly to the server.

I don't plan to burn from there, so a simple reader should suffice. I would like to spend the least amount I can, but I'd like to avoid getting a drive with Rip-lock if possible.

Newegg has the LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model UH12NS30 - OEM on sale for $40 until April 2nd. Or maybe I should just try Ebay?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
773 Posts
$40 for a bluray reader sounds pretty good to me. I was helping my dad shop for one a while back and I don't remember seeing many prices lower than that even around Black Friday. OEM is a good call too if you're only going to be ripping with it. I have an LG external bluray writer and the PowerDVD nagware it came with was nothing but an annoyance anyway. Also mine is obviously a different model but I've had good luck w/LG bluray drives and players generally, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I didn't find anything significantly cheaper on eBay, at least not when considering their used. Guess I'll order the LG.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Takes 20 minutes to perform a 1:1 rip of a DVD and between 40 minutes to an hour for a 1:1 Blu Ray rip. I'm in no rush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts