AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning on a 40" or 50" screen. TBD wall hung or on a cabinet .

The are not direct windows that have glare, However, right above the location of where the screen is, there is a vertical bank of skylight windows that line the end of that wall. There are shades on it however.

How I will use the screen is 2 fold.

During meetings/presentations - mainly graphical images will be displayed (whether it be photos or floorplan renderings).

The other time, I will just be using it to look at my Outlook *calendar schedule*. I will hardly ever be using it as a *pc* on the screen however.

When not in use, a screensaver of *our portfolio of images* will be playing.

I have only plasma's at home as I prefer the look. We have Eizos here in the office for workstation displays. I presume some variant of LCD or LED will be the proper display type to be used. To be frank, I've never been a fan or either. LED appers to bright and has like a *filter* ontop of the image ---- it has a certain feel to me that I just can't explain....

Thoughts, suggestions

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What benefits do I get with that over a regular Sony, Samsung, etc.....

FWIW, I had a NEC Pro Series installed in my old office setup 5-years ago. Cost a whopping penny back then as well but consumer LCD's have come a long way. I still buy the $$$ Eizo's for the desktops but....

I do like the 1600x1900 or 1900x1200 resolution on the new screen.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've seen smaller sizes NEC LCD professional monitors next to HP Dreamcolour and Dell UltarSharp models. NEC looked amazingly good. NEC was quite expensive; more than Dell, but less than HP -> but it looked better than HP. The company I work for is involved in producing ACAD drawings and I know the guys who work on these ACAD machines quite well. They have Dell UltraSharp 27" monitors, but their dream monitors are NEC's. Dell supplies all laptops / monitors / docking stations for us - hence they are locked to using Dell monitors, which are not bad but when I compared Dell to NEC (it was 27" NEC as well - can't remember the model...) Dell looked unevenly lit with washed-out colour. NEC looked like a moving slide with rock-solid, locked-in brightness and contrast.

You know exactly what type of monitor you need. If it is for professional applications - NEC is in my opinion best option. I also haven’t heard any bad comments regarding their reliability, where Dell does not have such impeccable record (not sure about NEC...)

Good luck in deciding...

Boky

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points made ....I have a couple of the NEC's as well for workstations, but the Eizo's run the gamut.

At the 40-50" level, I'm no concerned about color accuracy nor will it be surround with a hood. It's just a conf. rom afterall..

My only concern is the skylights / sunlight issue and which *type* of screen is best ----for the sunlight issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.