AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a poor college student with a large LP collection but no way to play it.

I've been dying to pick up a good stereo receiver and get my vinyl spinning again, but I'm on an absurdly meager budget. I'd like to upgrade or replace/buy all the components in my set-up, if possible, but right now I would settle for a good stereo receiver with a built-in phono stage.

Like I said, this will be mainly used for a vinyl set-up, though I will likely be hooking up my computer and portable media devices to it fairly often.

I'm very much open to vintage receivers if it will help stretch my budget, but quality build is quality build, so if some saintly audio tech company is building quality receivers in my price range, I'm also open to modern tech.

So, for less than $100, is it possible to get a good stereo receiver for use with vinyl?

And, while I'm asking, is there any way to get a decent sub-$100 complete TT/tonearm/cartridge set?

I'd also be open to recommendations for complete front-end systems (speakers, receiver, TT and all) for under $300, preferably more around $200 if possible.

I would also like components with potential, in case I ever stumble around some money to help improve my system.

Hell, I am so open minded, I would even take some diy advice if that would stretch my budget.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Assuming you want to buy new, here's what I'd recommend:

Receiver: Sherwood RX-4109

Turntable: Technics SL-BD20

Speakers: Polk Audio R150s

This should run you about $300. If you can afford a little more, or can upgrade later, the first thing to upgrade would be the speakers, and the next thing would be to get a better cartridge. (It takes a p-mount, so replacing it is easy.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have limited options with a $100 budget, but like another poster listed, the Sherwood fits, also look at Insignia for a $99 unit. Double the budget and you can go with a low end Onkyo, or the Yamaha RX 397, which would be a great amp for phono.

My sugesstion would be to up your budget slightly, or go with used and up the receiver quality.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
100 DOLLARS? Garage sale, you would be amazed at the stuff people give away.

Take your time, and be consistent on your search. Go to middle, upper class neighborhoods. You don't have to buy the first thing you come across, and remember, at the end of the day, they'll take even less to get rid if it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Vintage 70's receivers. Marantz, HK, Sansui and Pioneer are awesome stereo units that can be had for around $100.00 with a phono output.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex~ /forum/post/15440894

I'm a poor college student with a large LP collection but no way to play it.

I've been dying to pick up a good stereo receiver and get my vinyl spinning again, but I'm on an absurdly meager budget. I'd like to upgrade or replace/buy all the components in my set-up, if possible, but right now I would settle for a good stereo receiver with a built-in phono stage.

Like I said, this will be mainly used for a vinyl set-up, though I will likely be hooking up my computer and portable media devices to it fairly often.

I'm very much open to vintage receivers if it will help stretch my budget, but quality build is quality build, so if some saintly audio tech company is building quality receivers in my price range, I'm also open to modern tech.

So, for less than $100, is it possible to get a good stereo receiver for use with vinyl?

And, while I'm asking, is there any way to get a decent sub-$100 complete TT/tonearm/cartridge set?

I'd also be open to recommendations for complete front-end systems (speakers, receiver, TT and all) for under $300, preferably more around $200 if possible.

I would also like components with potential, in case I ever stumble around some money to help improve my system.

Hell, I am so open minded, I would even take some diy advice if that would stretch my budget.

I hear you on the budget peace. I really do. However, like some of the other members, i feel you should savea little more. Why, because you will have slightly better choices to choose from.

The only receiver that really comes to mind that i read about, outside of the entry level receivers, is the Harmon Kardon AVR154. Read the review here, I pray it helps you out. http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equ...ewed001136.php

·
Registered
127 Posts
He's looking for a receiver for $100.00........Not an amp for $799.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, but seriously, you should wait and save your money and buy something over 100 (for the receiver). Shop around and see what is out there. Don't waste your money on something that is going to break down on you. It'll just cost you more down the road. The Polk R150s are a good choice for speakers. eBay has some good things going too i think.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
No, but seriously, you should wait and save your money and buy something over 100 (for the receiver).

I'm all for buying better gear if you can afford it. But I'm also for buying what you can afford right now and enjoying your music. Life is too short.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.