AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I apologize for this mundane question that certainly can be solved by searching. That being said, I'm at work, and only have so much time to spend doing so.

My search didn't turn up any conclusive answers. I'm quite a novice at this topic, so don't hate too much

I have a PS3 and an HDMI 1.3 capable receiver. I don't know if its 1.3a or b or just 1.3.

I need a 1M/3FT (or 2M, doesn't matter that much) HDMI cable to go from my PS3 to my receiver that can transfer the best quality audio from any of my games/blu-ray (ie: Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD I guess) discs.

Monoprice has like 500 cables, I don't know which ones to get. I'm not much of a believer in fancy shielding or anything like that, and I don't want the cables with locking pins at the ends, just a regular HDMI cable.

Help?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cobra /forum/post/14343889

here is the link to all cablesondemand.com I have used only these, they are 1080p cert. and the price is good. I use the 1st one out of the 3, I have never had any issues with them at all and shipping is really fast.

http://www.cablesondemand.com/catego...DMI_CABLES.htm

340mhz compliant means basically that it is category 2, correct?

edit: need2refresh b4 I post >.>;

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsalad /forum/post/0

Here you go, 6 foot HDMI cable with silver plating on the copper before it hits the connectors (honestly doesn't matter much since it's all shielded in plastic, but hey why not). http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Why does it say "For In-Wall Installation"? Does that matter?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't fall for marketing. Digital cables either work or they don't. Trust me, you'll be able to tell if your cable is bad. Digital signals do not degrade gracefully.

There is no difference in picture quality between a 3 dollar cable and 100 dollar cable. The people who tell you otherwise are just trying to convince themselves that they were smart by overpaying for a cable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Go for Monoprice. I've used their cables for awhile now and they are great. don't waste you money.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx2000 /forum/post/14343960

340mhz compliant means basically that it is category 2, correct?

edit: need2refresh b4 I post >.>;

Why does it say "For In-Wall Installation"? Does that matter?

In-Wall just means you can put it into the wall next to your power lines and it won't have an issue with data transmission. It's a good thing to have that rating regardless of how you use it.

And cables having ratings is basically marketing BS purported by the big names in order to force people to upgrade to the "tested" cable regardless of whether or not the new cable is actually any different physically from the one they just replaced. In most cases (90%+) existing 1.0 or 1.1 compliant cables are exactly the same as 1.3b tested cables.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is all pretty much what I expected. I just didn't know one to buy, if the in-wall ones had something I was paying for that I didn't need, or something like that.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I remember purchasing my first $79 Monster HDMI Cable a long time ago....#$%^&*(*&^%$#

I'll never fall for that again. Like everyone said Monoprice is your best choice, they are cheap and as good as any expensive one.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtripp /forum/post/14343976

Go for Monoprice. I've used their cables for awhile now and they are great. don't waste you money.

+1

·
Registered
227 Posts
+1

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I have dealt with both monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable, always had great experiences.

As far as "in wall" rated cable goes, like a previous poster stated it is for signal/data transmission stability when close to other types of cable, and also in some cases (as in my commercial applications) for any adherence to code in your area for UL and fire certification. (i.e. the materials the insulation etc. are made out of)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts