AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really find an answer in the search.

How do most of you clean your HDTV screen? I don't want to spend $20 on a Monster cleaning solution at best buy if I don't have to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use a microfiber polishing towel (like the kind one would use for polishing cars. Then I mix a Windex/distilled water together about 50/50. Some will say windex period is a bad idea but when its diluted like that I have never had any problems. I use 2 towels actually, one to apply the formula, one to polish it to a streak-free appearance.

You must use distilled water, however you can substitute the windex for isopropol rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Frankly, I think the Monster kit is worth it. It's a kind of gel, and I've had my bottle for over a year and it's still over 3/4 full. The screen has stayed clean, the cloth is nicer than what you'd find at Wal-Mart (at least locally for me--I know, I compared the microfiber cloths there in the car department to the Monster one) and the chance of hurting your screen is basically nil since the gel doesn't drip anywhere--it stays where you spray it.

I don't really recommend Monster products, but that cleaning kit seems to be an exception.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't find the paper that came with the Monster Screen Clean Kit, what does it say about cleaning the micro fiber cloth? Is it okay to machine wash and let it air dry?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love those stores. One salesman told me the $29 kit was better than the $19 kit because the towel was bigger. Just to confuse myself even more, I asked a different salesman a few minutes later. He said that neither kit should be used on a screen, that I should just use water with a car towel, and that he knew a little old lady that had permanently screwed up her screen with Windex. 8-(

I wonder what they would have said if I'd asked each of them about HDMI cables...

I may go with a kit just to get a good towel and then try out distilled water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought my first flat panel- a Samsung LN46a630 at hhgregg first of Nov.). I asked about what to use to clean the screen and the salesman directed me to a cleaning kit ($30.00 + 7% IN sales tax
). It has the micro whatever cloth, it left streaks and drove me INSANE!!!!! I grabbed my wet towlets that I use for my laptop (matte/semi-matte) and what a difference! Now I have a very clean & streakless screen!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean /forum/post/15464655

Didn't really find an answer in the search.

How do most of you clean your HDTV screen? I don't want to spend $20 on a Monster cleaning solution at best buy if I don't have to.

Just use water and paper towel

·
Registered
331 Posts
In certain situations, If your TV is in a room thats proned to collecting lots of dust, All you need is that soft cloth to wipe the screen of the dust and your set.

Spraying water on a dust filled screen will just make the cleaning more difficult, The dust will spread around the screen, And on top of that you might see some streaks all over the screen, So you have to be wiping the entire screen until the streaks are gone.

I would recommend you remove all the dust first before spraying water on your screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerClaw /forum/post/15498602

In certain situations, If your TV is in a room thats proned to collecting lots of dust, All you need is that soft cloth to wipe the screen of the dust and your set.

Spraying water on a dust filled screen will just make the cleaning more difficult, The dust will spread around the screen, And on top of that you might see some streaks all over the screen, So you have to be wiping the entire screen until the streaks are gone.

I would recommend you remove all the dust first before spraying water on your screen.

Yeah, why the need for chemicals? Unless you're using your HDTV as a dinner plate you shouldn't have anything that is so stuck on the screen that it won't just wipe off with a dry microfiber towel.

If something does happen where you need to remove fingerprints or the like, start with just a damp towel using distilled water if you really want to go that far with it. If it still doesn't come off maybe put a tiny amount of mild dish soap in the water and make sure to rinse it off quickly with fresh water and dry with another microfiber towel.

Your key to avoid leaving streaks would probably be to use distilled water so that you are not placing any trace elements or chemicals on the screen, remember tap water typically has trace amounts of chlorine, iodine, flouride, calcium, copper and probably a half a dozen other heavy metals.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dry wipe with a microfiber cloth. You can buy microfiber cloth on the Internet in bulk for about $.50 to under $1 each. You can use it to clean more than your TV too, I use it for everything I use a rag for, and it cleans so much more efficiently and quickly. Reusable and is generally earth friendly.

If you use a damp microfiber cloth by putting just a fine mist of water on it, it sucks up dust even better for tougher jobs.

I buy enough so that I can wash a batch of dirty ones cost effectively on a washing machine. Alternatively, you can use swiffer duster pads to clean your LCD if you want a quick fix from your local supermarket.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerClaw /forum/post/15498602

Spraying any liquid on any type of screen is a bad idea. If it gets to the edges of the frame, it can leach inside and damage components.

If you need to use any liquid (in this case, plain water is the safest), dampen the cloth, not the screen. Wring out any excess liquid before you apply it to the screen so it doesn't drip.

Never use paper towels, either. They're made of wood fiber and will scratch your screen.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I concur. To help, spray only on the microfiber cloth and use an atomizer when spraying, not those run of the mill spray nozzles. It creates a very fine mist versus the coarse mist of the mist setting of the nozzles.

You can get an atomizer at Walmart for 50c each, its usually in the cosmetic department and used for perfumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15639324

Spraying any liquid on any type of screen is a bad idea. If it gets to the edges of the frame, it can leach inside and damage components.

If you need to use any liquid (in this case, plain water is the safest), dampen the cloth, not the screen. Wring out any excess liquid before you apply it to the screen so it doesn't drip.

Never use paper towels, either. They're made of wood fiber and will scratch your screen.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yeah, why the need for chemicals? Unless you're using your HDTV as a dinner plate you shouldn't have anything that is so stuck on the screen that it won't just wipe off with a dry microfiber towel.

So true.... I have had my flat panel for over a year now and have never used anything to clean the screen except a dry microfiber cloth. I have a bottle of distilled water that I apply to a soft cloth (mist) and use this to gently clear any dust build up out of the screen corners on the panel. The screen is as clean as the day I removed it from the box. Avoid using chemicals on the screen...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts