AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's an opportunity for you to champion a film/disc that you think not enough people know about.

only ground rule is- it has to be available on dvd.

(bonus points if it has high quality a/v)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Underground. Winner of the Cannes Film Festival Best Picture award. A comedy tracing a group of Yugoslavians from WWII into the 60's. Just came out a few weeks ago. Couldn't find it for rental anywhere. Ended up buying it on blind purchase. Very glad I did.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Cutting Edge

About an olympic hockey player who get's injured and must switch over to the "sissy" sport of pairs figure skating. The movie has a good action type theme for men...fighting to regain championship form. As well as a good love story for women.

All around good performances, very believable story, well written, good score...etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The War

Great film for all ages.

Format: DVD Rating: PG-13

Starring: Elijah Wood Kevin Costner

Director: Jon Avnet

Product Description

What's worth fighting for?

Features: DVD, Aspect Ratio 1.85:1, English, Dolby Digital (5.1), Dolby Surround Sound

It was a different time and a different place. Elijah Wood and Kevin Costner star in a rich feast for the senses from the director of Fried Green Tomatoes. This heartwarming film tells the tale of a close-knit family and their remarkable Mississippi summer of 1970. With the help of three friends, Stu (Wood) and Lidia Woodward (Lexi Randall) are determined to build the ultimate treehouse, a place of wonder and magic. Their father Stephen (Costner), a newly-returned Vietnam vet, has equally high hopes to rebuild his life and fulfill his family's dreams. Co-starring Mare Winningham, The War will captivate all who fall under its spell. It's a film rich with humor, nostalgia and mesmerizing performances. It is, in the words of the National News Syndicate, a "must-see movie."

"One of the best films of the year." Jeffrey Lyons Sneak Previews, ABC-TV

"...must-see movie." National News Syndicate

"Costner is quite effective as a veteran who has seen enough of war." Roger Ebert Chicago Sun-Times

Editor's Note

In the summer of 1970, Stephen (Kevin Costner) returns to his family in Mississippi after a stint in the Vietnam War, his emotional and psychological scars leave him depressed and alienated, while struggling to overcome the nightmare of post traumatic stress disorder. His wife Lois (Mare Winningham) becomes the one forced to struggle to keep food on the table, working grueling double shifts as a waitress and forced to rely on welfare. And his children, Stu (Elijah Wood) and Lidia (Lexi Randall) have it no easier: they're caught in a battle with a group of neighborhood bullies over a tree house that they built out of junk to be a safe haven for their friends, while trying to escape the pressures of school and life in a small Southern town. Ironically, these small-town hostilities are what finally help Stephen come to terms with the larger war he fought in Vietnam. And as he tries to communicate his personal philosophy about violence to his son Stu, the two create a bond stronger than any they have ever had before. By summer's end, both Stu and Lidia gain a new respect for their father's beliefs of peace and understanding as they discover the startling insights into themselves and the world around them.

Features English 5.1 Surround Dolby Digital

English/French Tracks

Interactive Menus

Production Notes

Theatrical Trailer

Web Access

·
Registered
865 Posts
Kino's Buster Keaton box set. It's worth it just for "The General" and "Steamboat Bill Jr." alone! (Both with better transfers than the Image double-title disc)

·
Registered
29,413 Posts
PTU

It's a Hong Kong movie (title stands for Police Tactical Unit). The DVD must be imported from HK but is region 0 NTSC and will play in any American DVD player. A very quirky, funny, stylish cop thriller, and the DVD has an outstanding DTS track.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1940 Ernst Lubitsch gem. Perfect, perfect, perfect. Every performance is Oscar worth. Didn't waste a frame. This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Remade twice (poorly) as "In the Good Old Summertime" and a few years ago as "You've Got Mail". Jimmy Stewart and Frank Morgan were excellent, but Felix Bressart and William Tracy were truly brilliant. Can you tell I love this film?

IMDB Link

Everytime I convince someone to watch it, they love it.

JayW

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll second Drumline! I love that movie!

I'll also second The Cutting Edge.... 'Toe-pick!' -jeffxjet will get that one...

I'll mention a few that I think are good flicks, that some people don't 'get.'

A Knight's Tale [Superbit Edition] A GREAT flick, awesome story set to current music. Try it, you'll love it!

Also, Mystery Alaska... Great hockey movie, plus... it's one of Russel Crowes first films, and he's still good in it.

And of course, Showgirls and The Real Cancun... everyone loves gratuitous nudity.

Monte

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CptnRandy
The Zero Effect - especially if you're a Sherlock Holmes fan.

Ahhhh,, VERY good!! It's hard for me to pick, so I'm going to cheat a bit. I'm nominating Scorsese's most overlooked film (IMO), "The King Of Comedy" and then for something completely different, the entire "Zatoichi: Blind Swordsman" series of samurai movies :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Poseidon Adventure. While the latest disc isn't anamorphic, the flick is one of the best disaster films, IMHO. Gene Hackman is fantastic in it, as are the supporting cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069113/

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) The end scene where Mrs. Rosen dies is one of the saddest scenes I've seen. It's a true tear jerker.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Election! thought I don't think it is that overlooked but Best Laid Plains is and its under $6

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I clicked on this thread after seeing a poster from Adelaide on another thread. Wham, "Breaker Morant" popped into my mind. I loved that movie when they use to show it a lot on HBO years ago. It is on DVD but I have not seen it. I think it won best picture in Australia and other foreign film awards. And it is in English!!! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Fabulous World of Jules Verne.

Truly a unique film which takes a Verne story, or maybe three, I'm not sure, and turns it into a bizarre combination of film, animation, and film props made to look like animation. Flying ships (with masts and sails), submarines doing battle (before torpedoes were invented), weird power machines and gigantic cannons, and of course a giant squid - it's all here.

Very obscure DVD, only found it at one online retailer. Bad PQ, probably made from a VCR original I imagine. Black & white 1950's Czech movie. A must for all "steampunk" fans. The main character has a charming Victorian optimism about progress and the future.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chuft
The Fabulous World of Jules Verne. (...) A must for all "steampunk" fans.
"Steampunk??" Never heard that one before- I guess I'm getting old :) That does sound like a cool movie though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I never quite understood the "punk" part either, I guess it derives from "cyberpunk." It is a genre of fiction and roleplaying and computer games concerned with Victorian era technology and culture mixed with alternate histories, fictional technological advances, or even fantasy elements likes elves and magic. You might say Jules Verne and H.G. Wells invented the genre unintentionally with what was to them "modern" science fiction. Now of course it is a deliberate choice to set a story in a Victorian atmosphere and then enhance it with science fiction or fantasy elements. A modern comic and movie example is "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," a modern computer game example is "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" and a modern roleplaying example would be the pen and paper roleplaying game "Space: 1889" and its tactical system "Sky Galleons of Mars."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.