AVS Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,257 Posts
KEF R3. MSRP $1999 but I think you can get better pricing from a dealer?
KEF R3 Review
Revel M106 MSRP $1999 but, same as above.
Revel M106 review
Genelec 8030C
Genelec 8030C Review
JBL HDI 1600
JBL HDI 1600 Review
If you are putting the bookshelves on stands, towers are the same size:
Revel F35/F36 both within budget from a dealer:
Revel F35 Review

There are lots of cheaper speakers that are quite good as well, but these are all towards the upper end of your budget. You are likely to get somewhat higher quality, lower distortion, more refined response and better finish quality vs much cheaper options if any of that matters.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Alas, if it's a WAF issue, port location doesn't matter.
Unless you can stuff the wife up in it...;)
As for bookshelf vs floorstanding, that's a WAF (wife acceptance factor) decision more than anything
Do you actually have them in a bookshelf? Because if on stands, I'd be surprised if your wife finds the stands attractive.
  • She might well find towers more attractive-perhaps if slim towers.
  • If you have a spot to tuck a sub out of sight, you might trade that off to getting smaller mains. (MAYBE. My wife would hardly be satisfied even with Bose cubes)

Athena made some very good stuff. I'd definitely keep with at least a 6.5" woofer, and ported. The trick is to get something ported low, so the woofers don't just flap around. One candidate I like is
Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 loudspeaker
which are indeed ported low, and nice sound throughout Audio Element's open-plan shop. A big step up from the Athena? Three words: "reasonable return policy" which goes for ANYTHING you buy. Now if the WAF gods are smiling on you, your wife might find these with retro matching stands attractive:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage loudspeaker
We liked them much better than the EVO, which had a very narrow sweet spot and the bass not as nice.

I think the main thing is to show your wife a lot of speakers and pick something SHE likes. We fortunately live in an era with many good choices, many of them more attractive than the plain gray Athenas, so put her in the driver's seat by showing a number of bookshelf and slim tower. Just don't show her stuff smaller than what you have or she may insist on that.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The OP is in Canada, and RSL, like most ID companies and JBL/Revel/Infinity don't ship to Canada.
He may be able to get a deal on a pair of Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelfs, which actually have decent in-room bass extension. The Premier 200B would be an excellent alternative, along with PSB bookshelfs.
If it's 2-channel only, there's the possibility of Harbeth or Pro-Ac or PMC speakers in that price range too.
Just of note, i spoke to RSL yesterday to get four of their Atmos speakers ( im in Canada) and they not only ship to Canada ,,,,,,, four speakers shipping cost is only $125. They stated they ship all the time to Canada. Not teying to put you on the spot but letting the OP know.

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just of note, i spoke to RSL yesterday to get four of their Atmos speakers ( im in Canada) and they not only ship to Canada ,,,,,,, four speakers shipping cost is only $125. They stated they ship all the time to Canada. Not teying to put you on the spot but letting the OP know.
Exchange rate and brokerage will make the speakers more expense than buying in Canada, no ?

Are they shipping USPS ?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That price voided additional fees as they are using fedex international rather than fedex ground,,,,,,but yes price was in US $$. Edit,,,,,also ill ad as another option,,,,,, have a look at the Chane Music Cinima's new L-3 speakers,,,,,, website says in stock. They ship to Canada as well. Supposed to be a step up in performance from their (A) series. note i had klipsch RP160's then went to Chane A 2.4 which i found better than my Klipsch in my subjective opinion.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Exchange rate and brokerage will make the speakers more expense than buying in Canada, no ?

Are they shipping USPS ?
Emotiva ships to Canada via UPS free of charge. Their speakers are not as pretty as RSL but much better bang for the buck.

You just add about 15% for Canadian duties/customs.

The only comparable bang-for-the-buck option in Canada are the new Paradigm Monitor SE series.

Reactions: Ther0ck

·
Registered
184 Posts
NHT C3.

Cheaper in Canada than the US.

I demo'd the C3's and liked them but my recent experience with buying from NHT direct resulted in the worst customer service I've dealt with in the Industry (and I was involved the Reaction Audio Fiasco a couple years ago) and so I would highly recommend going elswhere with your dollar. If you are deadset on demoing their speakers I would definitely buy from Amazon and not directly from NHT

·
Registered
22,210 Posts
I demo'd the C3's and liked them but my recent experience with buying from NHT direct resulted in the worst customer service I've dealt with in the Industry (and I was involved the Reaction Audio Fiasco a couple years ago) and so I would highly recommend going elswhere with your dollar. If you are deadset on demoing their speakers I would definitely buy from Amazon and not directly from NHT
That is not good to hear.

Was the problem with warranty service?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading my 14-year old Athena AS-B2 bookshelf speakers for my condo living room home theater/2.0 music system.

At the time, the Athenas were very well reviewed and punched above it's weight.

I recently side-by-side demo'd the KEF Q150 when they were on sale late last year and found that my old Athena's outperformed them significantly in vocal mid-range where the KEF's sounded like the vocals was in the back of the room, vs the Athenas were right up front on the stagein terms of the clarity and transparency. Although low-end and imaging the Q150's were better.

Anyway, just out of boredom from COVID, am considering upgrading my main bookshelf speakers. I am in a condo so I do not have a sub. My amp is a Yamaha RX-V1500 rated at 125w per channel.

So far I have come across the KEF LS50, Elac Debut 2.0 b6.2, and have always considered the Klipsch RP600M.

The KEF's I am hesitant because I do not plan on running a sub.

I am not sure how if the Elac's are simply good 'for its price', or actually good compared to these higher end options.

The Klipsch RP600M is older and I am not sure if other speaker models/manufacturers have come along and surpassed them.

Anything else I should consider?
I wouldn't shy away from a sub just because you live in a condo - I also live in a condo, and have a sizeable 15" HSU subwoofer. Haven't gotten any complaints from neighbours so far - as Zorba mentioned, ease up on the gain knob, and you'll be fine (the gain knob on my sub is pretty much a notch and a bit above the minimum setting, and there's more than enough output coming out of that thing). If you felt comfortable with a sub, then I'd say between the three the LS50s are a no-brainer.

If the US exchange rate was more favourable, I'd 100% say that the Ascend Sierras would be a solid choice. Or even the HSU HB-1s or CCB-8s.

Other options that people have mentioned, like the Monitor Silver 200s would also be a pretty good option, I think.

One set of speakers I don't believe have been mentioned are the Triangle BR03s - they were sort of forum darlings for a little while last year. They might be worth checking out - even the line up from that (Comète EZ) wouldn't be a terrible thing if you can find them within budget. Also Totem Skylights, Axiom M3s or PSB if you want to keep it Canadian.

Reactions: 50nick
21 - 29 of 29 Posts