AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I'm a newbie to the higher quality Home Theater / Audio products and am looking for some recommendations.

I have the Yamaha A2040 receiver (140w/channel) and a pair of B&W CM10s fronts (300w).

My suspicion is that this setup could benefit from a power amp to better drive the CM10s, especially when playing lossless audio files.

Does anyone have a view on the benefits of adding a power amp (via the yamaha pre-amp outputs) to drive the CM10s?

If so, do you have a recommendation as to a good power amp within a 1k budget, at least the types of specs to look for in a power amp.

Any info would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm a newbie to the higher quality Home Theater / Audio products and am looking for some recommendations.

I have the Yamaha A2040 receiver (140w/channel) and a pair of B&W CM10s fronts (300w).

My suspicion is that this setup could benefit from a power amp to better drive the CM10s, especially when playing lossless audio files.

Does anyone have a view on the benefits of adding a power amp (via the yamaha pre-amp outputs) to drive the CM10s?

If so, do you have a recommendation as to a good power amp within a 1k budget, at least the types of specs to look for in a power amp.

Any info would be great
Thanks
I am also considering the same issue to drive some new tannoy dc10ti's. I have been looking at the parasound amps based upon the recommendation of my speaker dealer. He also sells krell but indicated that the bang for the buck, running through a Yamaha would be better served by parasound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tannoy DC10Ti's have a bold presence.

The Parasound 2250 v.2 Power Amplifier seems like a good choice but a little out of my price range.

I assume my system would need an amp with approximately 250w / channel to justify the cost benefit of adding it to the system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Tannoy DC10Ti's have a bold presence.

The Parasound 2250 v.2 Power Amplifier seems like a good choice but a little out of my price range.

I assume my system would need an amp with approximately 250w / channel to justify the cost benefit of adding it to the system.
You could consider Crown? A lot of class d power, incredible price. I have never heard these amps but lots of people over in the two channel forum are singing their praise.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hey Guys

Any info would be great
Thanks
I never noticed a significant difference when adding a power amp to my setup. Outlaw 7125 does 190 watts into 4 ohms at a good price, around $1000. It's occasional sale price is a real steal, IMO.

I think it's transformer is a lot bigger than a receiver's transformer. It has a lot more filter caps. I like the price and what I have seen, but don't own one. I am using an Emotiva XPA-3 to drive my front channels, and it's ran fine for years. The price was right when I bought it on sale. But of course, it's only for the front 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Emotiva XPA-2 & Emotiva XPA-3 look like very interesting options to provide some extra power to the CM10s, but you say you didn't notice a significant difference when adding the XPA-3 to your receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts