Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I am barely days away of finally firing up my brand new HT and listening room after more than two grueling years of work!

I just bought a pair of beautiful Wilson Watt Puppy 6's. I will be using them with a Krell 1500 5 channel amp and a Krell HTS processor.

I do not have ANY speaker cable and am going nuts as I can't wait to hear this setup!

I any not yet sure of the length although it will probably be minimum 8 feet to maximum 12 feet. I called Wilson Audio to see if they could help recommend a cable and they liked Transparent and MIT for use with Krell and the Watt Puppy's.

I went to usedcable.com and checked out their 'library' policy but I am too excited (and impatient) to 'audition' cables right now.

Can anyone recommend a particular model of Transparent or MIT and a great place to buy? I know in the near future I may very well decide to upgrade the cable. I can always use the cable I buy now in another system.

Many thanks for reading this!

Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would recommend going with a cheaper, but still good quality cable until you hear what it sounds like. You can then judge what you think is lacking or overemphasized in the sound and pick a proper cable to complement the system.

My recommendations would be either Audioquest Type 4 or IXOS 6003. $3/ft and $1.50/ft unterminated respectively. The latter can be had at www.ac4l.com

Chris

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mark,

You may want to check out your local dealers and see who carry these brands so that you can get them quickly. I don't know of any online sources that carries Transparent but you can get the MIT from www.audioadvisor.com. Another idea is to go to www.audiogon.com and buy some used cables. You can save a fair amount at the same time.

Another brand you may want to try is Acoustic Zen, I really like the Satori that I have.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe I will be something cheaper while I choose the speaker cable. I am pretty sure I want to go with Transparent.

NJ Devil, where do you live in NJ? I am in Montclair.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Mark,

Have you thought of burial wire? It is easy, all you have to do is tear up the floor and run the cable under your basement. Not that anyone would want to tear up a basement floor for home theater. Why, you would have to be crazy to do that...

I would agree with the relatively cheap cable first. After all, you want to fully break in your speakers before you audition cables, don't you?

Mike Poindexter

PS: What did you do with all the dirt you dig up? I just happen to hear about some other crazy guy who was looking for some sand to put inside his walls to absorb bass and soundproof the room.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmmm, Mr. P, Do I know you by another name? I think I must..

you know too much!

The Watt Puppy's were purchase used so breaking them in is not a problem. OK, so if I go with inexpensive speaker wire to start, what is the best match up with the Watt Puppy's? How cheap should cheap be?

I used to be King of the Overkill but I am tired.

Mark

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Mark: I have a similar setup and sold off all of my Nordost SPM cable and switched to a company called CHORD cable, out of the UK. Simple, shielded silver plated copper cable in a twisted pair. I bought an entire roll of the stuff and it sounds great. It costs about $25 per foot which isn't considered cheap but, a whole lot less than transparent or nordost. I found that the network boxes found on the MIT and tansparent stuff does more harm than good and chokes the highs and lows. I sold off all of my MIT many years ago and would never go back to the garden hose. My dealer has the remainder of my roll if you want some, it can be custom cut to your exact speaker setup, even for the center and terminated with spades or banannas. Not trying to push it on you but, my Krell/Wilson setup sounded great during my audtion and that's how I am keeping it.

PS: I live in New York City so you can hear it for yourself.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Eric:

That is an interesting idea. I remember all of your posts on the Krell HTS which I still have (just back from Krell again)..

I have heard nothing but good things about Transparent, even from Wilson who recommended high end MIT and Transparent for the Krells with the Watt Puppy's.

I am trying to figure out if I should put the Krell amp behind the screen wall or in front and that will determine the length needed. How thick is the CHORD cable and what colr is it? WOuld be nice to have a dark color.

Thank you for the invitation to hear your set up, I may take you up on it! WHat equipment are you using? I remember reading that you finally got fed up with Krell and the HTS.

Mark

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
The Chord cable is a little thicker than a cable tv coax wire with 4 individually shielded silver plated copper cables. The jacket is white and is capable of being run behind walls or under floors. I now have the Lexicon MC-12B and it is very good. My current setup is hiding ALL of the equipment in a rack and just seeing speakers. The wire is run behind baseboards and is very unobtrusive and clean. I will photograph the system soon and post when it is finished.

www.chord.co.uk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

You also might want to try bettercables new speaker cable they braid 8 silver wires with 8 copper and terminate them beautifuly. If you don't like them you can return them within 30 days. Their customer service is outstanding. Here is the link http://www.bettercables.com/silserrefspe1.html

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Mark,

I live in Long Valley, work in Fairfield.

I would also second the comments on trying some used cables via Audiogon (what I did) or checking Audio Advisor for good prices. FWIW, I have the Audioquest Type 4+ and it has a wonderful bottom end and a somewhat restrained high end.

Chris

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Lots to choose from!

Eric, which CHORD cable are you referring to?

I still am leaning towards the Transparent if I can get a used pair for the right price. Transparent told me that their cable is used in the Watt Puppy speakers..

We shall see....

Mark

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Check out LAT International cable at www.latinternational.com either the SS-800 (for low cost) or the SS-1000 D. These are outstanding and reasonably priced (they are still relatively expensive in my book but less expensive than your name brands). Ask for Lou. BTW they are in Cherry Hill New Jersey.

Dave

Also Read what he says about cable hype and the description of the cables.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Some very good suggestions above. I would audition whatever you are thinking of with your speakers and electronics combo. Some things just work better in certain systems and not as well in others. You can also look at sites like www.diycable.com or www.homegrownaudio.com.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is gret stuff! I have decided to enjoy this process rather than stress out over it. I had long talks with Transparent and LAT (thanks David!).

I have to admit I find it a bit disturbing to have to consider paying so much money for cables. I know they do make a difference but their is soo much room for baseless claims, absurd mark ups and the like.

I ordered some speaker cable and a power cord from LAT. I had a long talk with Lou and I figure I might as well give them a shot. He mentioned aover and over again that I must break them in for a minimum of 100 hours and 150 would be better. Same goes for the power cord.

I will see if I can find a pair of Transparent Super or even Ultra to compare them to. They are much more money and it would be a blast if the LAT's even held their own.

I will probably not get the cables till mid next week, then I have to allow for days of breaking in at 'normal' listening volume.

I can't wait!

Thanks all!

Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Brown

I have to admit I find it a bit disturbing to have to consider paying so much money for cables. I know they do make a difference but their is soo much room for baseless claims, absurd mark ups and the like.

Mark
Mark, please help me out. How do you know they make a difference?

Regards.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I bought my first 'real' stereo years ago, I was all excited and rushed home to hook it up.

It was a PS audio preamp/amp with decent Poke speakers. I was by no means an audiophile then (or now) but I was immediately disappointed in how it sounded.

I went back to the dealer and told him what I heard. He sold me a pair of not very expensive Kimber cable. The sound was improved instantly and in a major way.

I was not even aware of the concept of 'breaking in' a cable or the components.

Although the differences from junky cable to good cable can be huge, we can easily find ourselves in a 'gray' area to say the least. With the system I now have I am going t o take the cables seriously. That means I will spend the time to really listen and see if I can determine differences that matter to me. And to keep the price vd. performance in mind.

Maybe $4000 transparent cable will be so much better than the $400 LAT that it makes me sick and I have to go out and buy them. Maybe not...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Brown
When I bought my first 'real' stereo years ago, I was all excited and rushed home to hook it up.

It was a PS audio preamp/amp with decent Poke speakers. I was by no means an audiophile then (or now) but I was immediately disappointed in how it sounded.

I went back to the dealer and told him what I heard. He sold me a pair of not very expensive Kimber cable. The sound was improved instantly and in a major way.

I was not even aware of the concept of 'breaking in' a cable or the components.

Although the differences from junky cable to good cable can be huge, we can easily find ourselves in a 'gray' area to say the least. With the system I now have I am going t o take the cables seriously. That means I will spend the time to really listen and see if I can determine differences that matter to me. And to keep the price vd. performance in mind.

Maybe $4000 transparent cable will be so much better than the $400 LAT that it makes me sick and I have to go out and buy them. Maybe not...

So you think if i took my speaker cable(30.00)and you took yours,

you could tell a difference 10 out of 10 times:)

just having a bit of fun with you-

good luck on what ever you chose..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could easily tell the difference everytime and would put money on it. The funny part is that if you notice in my other posts I do not consider myself an audiophile.

As in anything, there is point of huge improvements then diminishing returns.

I am trying to find the balance between the two and am opne minded. I just got off the phone with Transparent Cable. They believe the differences are as major as component changes.

This will be fun. Each manufacturer is so sure of their opinion it is amazing. No one agrees but they all believe each is 100% "Right"

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey EricBee:

Did you do any A/B comparisons of cables with your Watt Puppy's?

I spoke with Transparent today and they told me the Watt Puppy's are made using all Transparent Reference cable and of course strongly suggested I use the same (over $6K for 12 foot pair).

The balanced interconnects are something like $4K a pair for Reference.

What interconects are you using and again have you compared them to anything else?

Mark

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.