AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought a brand new Pioneer VSX-1122k AV receiver late last year, and I love the unit to bits, I use the Airplay feature with my IPad Air and Iphone 5 all the time!

But can anyone recommend a set of speakers for the AV receiver! I was thinking of staying with Pioneer brand and the speakers that come to mind are the Pioneer Todoroki or Andrew Johns series or can someone recommend something else?

I would love to hear your feedback on the subject!

Thanks in advance,

Merv Stent

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
That receiver is not the most powerful one around. It can probably put out around 40 watts per channel when driving 5 speakers (the 90 watt spec is for two channels only; the REAL total power is only 220 watts or so; any suggestion that it has more is nonsense).

That would be enough power for some speakers with good sensitivity, 90 db per watt or better, but the sensitivity of the Pioneer speakers is too low for that receiver.

Look for some speakers that do have at least 90 db per watt sensitivity, and your receiver will be able to run them.

Also be sure that they are specified as 8 ohm speakers; not 4 ohms or 6 ohms.

The Polk TSi400 speakers might be a good bet for you; they have a 91 db/watt sensitivity.

If you are thinking of 5 speakers, then you can use the TSi100 and TSx150C to complete the set.

That receiver does not have enough power to run 7 speakers, so don't even think about that.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1084  /t/1524049/recommend-speakers-for-the-pioneer-vsx-1122k-e#post_24522287

Hello All,

I bought a brand new Pioneer VSX-1122k AV receiver late last year, and I love the unit to bits, I use the Airplay feature with my IPad Air and Iphone 5 all the time!

But can anyone recommend a set of speakers for the AV receiver! I was thinking of staying with Pioneer brand and the speakers that come to mind are the Pioneer Todoroki or Andrew Johns series or can someone recommend something else?

I would love to hear your feedback on the subject!

I'm trying to think about what mainstream speakers wouldn't work out well for a mainstream music lover with this AVR from a compatibility viewpoint and I am coming up empty.

The "Famous Designer" series that you mention is a well known basis for high value high performance systems. I'd recommend looking elsewhere for subwoofers with similarly excellent value.

The Todoroki system seems to be a product for Asia not the US, so being US-based I may never see or even hear of them again. This means that you are probably not US based. Speaker value (price/performance) is highly dependent on where you are buying them.

·
Registered
552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1524049/recommend-speakers-for-the-pioneer-vsx-1122k-e#post_24522322

That receiver is not the most powerful one around. It can probably put out around 40 watts per channel when driving 5 speakers (the 90 watt spec is for two channels only; the REAL total power is only 220 watts or so; any suggestion that it has more is nonsense).
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-report-pioneer-vsx-60-av-receiver-page-4

The VSX-60 is essentially the same receiver as the VSX-1122 - actually pretty good output w/5 or 7 channels driven simultaneously:

1 channel driven: 142/234W (21.5/23.7 dBW)

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 82 (19.1 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 71W (18.5 dBW)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts