AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have a pretty hodge podge system right now with a low end 5.1 receiver from ~8 years ago. It's a set of powered Sony towers with built In woofers and centers. Amp died a while back and now i just have them directly hooked up to the receiver. Also have a set of klipsh rears. Tv is a 1080p 55" plasma.

I've been having growing issues with the pioneer receiver. It goes into emergency shutdown when I attempt to turn it on. It takes me many many attempts of forcing a boot to turn on and stay on. Once it's on, it works fine. The amount of retries it takes has been growing, ie the problem is worsening. I'm about to never shut it off and pay the extra power bill if it lessens the pain.

As you can see things are getting pretty dated and when I finally upgrade I'll probably do it all at once. 75 4k, trio of ascend 340se, 2 large 15" woofers. Unfortunately I don't predict that time from happening until at least another 1.5 years. Have a 3 year old currently and another on the way and this is pretty low on the family's important list. Might buy a newer TV next xmas, but that might be about it for the next 1.5 years. Point being, it might make more sense to pick up a used 1080p 5.1 receiver and continue limping on rather than investing in something like a denon 3400. Thoughts?

Even a 7 year old ebay receiver seems to be about $150 though. Little afraif something like that will just die at any point.

Would love to hear some advice from those that know more on the subject. Would love to invest and get a better system going, but trying to be realistic with myself and prioritize life correctly. Maybe dangerous words to say around these parts ;)

Thanks all

·
Registered
864 Posts
If you're looking for something temporary try looking at non-HDMI receivers. Many are replacing them with HDMI to achieve playback of the most current audio formats. I found an Onkyo 6.1 receiver last fall at a yard sale for $35 fully functional. These will fall into the range of receivers not old enough to be vintage and not new enough to get a better price. Craigslist should be a good source. Once someone posts on ebay or other sites which charge a fee the price goes up. You'll need to verify operation before purchase, which may be difficult.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
as @kjfalls said, look for an older receiver from ebay, craigslist, goodwill etc.

If you want a good refurbished unit then accessories 4 less sells receivers from $150 up to about $1500.

If you want something new but not fresh off the assembly line then the x3400h is the best option as it has everything you need including audyssey xt32 which controls your 2 subs independently. It is on sale too so check out amazon, newegg and crutchfield.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
check out you local thrift stores and pawn shops. I usually don't see a lot of useful stuff there but occasionally I run into something decent. A4L listed above and other similar online sites have great deals if you are patient and wait for the right opportunity. What year is you receiver from? If you are getting a UE22 error check the the dedicated thread in the stickies section of this forum. If it applies to you if could save you some bucks.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2066818-ue22-error-master-thread-pioneer-you-listening.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts