AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not silver, not light gray, not your average gray, but a more dark gray screen, doesn't have to be ALR, just darker than usual.

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
587 Posts
Not silver, not light gray, not your average gray, but a more dark gray screen, doesn't have to be ALR, just darker than usual.

Any tips?
All the really dark surfaces will be ALR.
  • SI Black Diamond
  • Da-lite Parallax (Pure & Stratos)
  • Stewart Phantom HALR

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the really dark surfaces will be ALR.
  • SI Black Diamond
  • Da-lite Parallax (Pure & Stratos)
  • Stewart Phantom HALR
Thanks!

I have HALR as a sample, it's not dark enough, SI Black Diamond is a joke, the image is all blue, much better and cheaper alternatives out there.
Parallax Stratos is too bright as well, got a sample of that already, their 0.8 Pure though, I need to order a sample of it, seems to be darker than the HALR and Stratos.

Thumbs up!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts

Any tips?
Just curious. Is this for a very special application or venue type?

Regards,
Don

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just curious. Is this for a very special application or venue type?

Regards,
Don
Mr. Stewart, very nice to see you on the forums, what fun!

My application will be rather special, really special, in fact, and even more so since I'm quite extreme in my requirements.
It's basically a normal living room, dark gray front wall, light gray surrounding walls, 135% white reflecting ceiling (stupid choice, wife choice) so no venue or the likes.
My projector is JVC's X7900/X790R, so not the best light cannon out there, especially for a living room, but I am extremely picky with black levels, size about 117" diagonal, 2.40:1.
My local theater with 3 venues, sporting 3x Barco DP4K-32B's, failed miserly (it's newly built by the way) with light interiors with white screens, causing much inferior black levels.
Blacks are very horrible, they would benefit so much having, for example, your Firehawk LS or the Phantom HALR, vs. their more normally common white perforated screen/screens.

I actually brought a sample of HALR during my study visit this summer, at around the premiere of Tenet (helped them set up the 2.20:1 image) their manager was mighty impressed.
I was floored by their incompetence, even more floored by the bad interiors, it basically looks like you're entering a conference room vs. entering a theatrical venue, it's really bad.
A word or two slipped out of me, telling them their choice of bright, laminated, oak panels as wall furnishing was not the best, the manager told me they had spent a fortune on it.
I sighed so loud internally, because their A/V stuff is really nice, speakers, projectors, just some nut that has designed, and some stupid board that clubbed through the interiors.
Argument being, they didn't want their newly built cinema to look like your conventional dark cinema, duh!

My front wall is a tad bit darker than your Phantom HALR, and I've been very impressed with the shade of gray that my front wall has, causing the best black levels I've seen, thus far.
All this compared to pretty much any sample I've had at home, you can see an image of the wall color below, not my wall, not my room, but at least you can get yourself an idea:

Obviously the white levels suffers, it's a flat paint, I've spent so much time finding the best screen, boosting brightness compared to my wall, but keeping close to same blacks.
Seem like a very hard thing to do, see a collection of samples in comparison below, I would put your Phantom HALR close to the Parallax Stratos, where SI Screen's is all blue...
XYScreen from China has a fabric called Black Crystal, best black levels that I've seen, but not quite the match you would want paired with a JVC, you would probably want an Epson.
I've debated back and forth if I should opt for a paint mix instead, but adding up the costs it turns out to be even more expensive than some screens out there, so no thank you.
Add to that, what if you fail the first time around, oh, even more so expensive.

My latest find is Kauber's Peak Contrast S from Poland, don't know if you've ever heard about its existance, but I'll happily have a sample and test it out.
Parallax Pure 0.8 is a very fine choice, much smoother and almost the same blacks as the XYScreen Black Crystal, yet sporting a bit more brightness back at you.
But for the ultimate in blacks, at least in my room, I have yet to see somthing that's better than XYScreen's Black Crystal, or my wall, for that matter.

https://i.postimg.cc/1R0J44pB/000-FABRIC.png
https://i.postimg.cc/hPpsbwZ7/001-FABRIC.png
https://i.postimg.cc/SKzG4KSW/002-FABRIC.png
https://i.postimg.cc/rm1CdYts/003-FABRIC.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Wzsm06Mn/004-FABRIC.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Wp7wTCvf/005-FABRIC.png

Feels like it's all about preference, do you want bright, or do you want black, a mixture in between can be had, but you would have to compromise on something.
Not my pictures, by the way, taken off this forum, but you can see how dark the XYScreen is, but you can take farewell to your white levels, color volume is vastly reduced as well.
No easy business, this, I wouldn't have any issues at all in a dedicated room of course (hint) but that's not the case now.

Since you're on here, I have to ask, is it possible for a screen to still be light gray in terms of fabric color, but still produce excellent blacks, much like a very dark gray screen?
The lesson I've taken from all this is, the fabric color is the only thing that can determine the black level, then you need a reflective layer that maintains the brightness, correct/wrong?

I've seen your episode with Scott Wilkinson in Home Theater Geeks about your screens, here's an image of the construction for the Phantom HALR:

I guess I need a darker 'Dark Translucent Diffusion Layer' and a 'Light Reflection Layer' that is capable of boosting brights, compensating for that darker gray layer.
But that's my guess, what do I know, and probably impossible in terms of engineering, otherwise it would of been done already.
To put it simply, I have yet to see the best/most optimal screen for living rooms or inferior environments, producing blacks.
I can turn off and seal away all ambient light, but cannot remove the white ceiling, or hardwood floor, WAF applied.

Much appreciated, and very nice to see you chime in, thank you!
I could send you a can of my front wall color for you to check out, if you're interested?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a question about measuring gain from a given surface, is it as simple as measuring the incoming light, vs. the reflecting light, calculating the reflected percentage?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts