AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good sirs,

I just recently decided to get into the home theater world and would like some suggestions for a 5.1 speaker set. Here's a picture of the living room I want my system in. For now take a look at my impressive piece of art (in paint)!

The area I want my home theater is in the box below the kitchen area. For that specific area, I'd say the size is about 16x12.

Note there is a thick wall separating the kitchen and that area.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. As of now, I have a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which I managed to get for an awesome price.

The TV will be against the wall that is separating the kitchen and my viewing area. The couch will be on the opposite wall from the TV.

For now, I'm considering the Energy Take Classic 5.1, or maybe the MartinLogan MLT-2.

I'm not limited to just these two though so any suggestions that would be appropriate for the size of my room would be really awesome as well. Mind you, I want to use this for gaming and movie watching experiences!

Anyhow, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The Take Classics would definitely be nice (I had that set, still use 2 of the satellites), but since the Jamo S606 set is the same price right now, I'd take advantage of those. It has towers in the set, and the towers have an 8" woofer built in to handle bass, so like afrogt said, you'd be able to hold off on a sub for a bit. You're also going to get a bigger center channel than the Take Classic set will offer you, and if you want speakers for movies and games, that center channel will be super important to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20868830

Can you have larger speakers that satellites?

I'd rather have the Jamo s606 5.0 package and wait for a sub later.

I would actually prefer small ones as satellites, since I'll be living with a few other roommates as well!

The Jamos sound like it would be pretty nice although I'd like to avoid the wood aesthetics but it looks like I can get the black ones instead, right?

For now, it seems that the Jamos are the best contender but if there are slightly cheaper alternatives to this set with near quality, I'm open to that as well. I have a couple of weeks to decide so I hope I can get more suggestions!

Again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
Yes you can get the black S606 for $50 more. Vanns has had them as low as $399 before, if you call you might be able to get the same deal.

But if you're determined to get small satellite speakers then go with the MLT-2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20868880

Yes you can get the black S606 for $50 more. Vanns has had them as low as $399 before, if you call you might be able to get the same deal.

But if you're determined to get small satellite speakers then go with the MLT-2.

I'm actually still on the fence. The Jamos is starting to pique my interest even more now that I can get a possible color swap!

Which of the pieces of this set would be the satellite speakers? I'm assuming the floorstanders would be the fronts and the two bookshelf ones would be the rear?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism /forum/post/20868909

Which of the pieces of this set would be the satellite speakers? I'm assuming the floorstanders would be the fronts and the two bookshelf ones would be the rear?

Yep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.