AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me your experience from 2.35:1 ratio on a 4k projector ? I hear that optoma UHD65 needs an extra lens.

Any tips, any recommendations ?

Thank you!
Q

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
No projectors are native 2:35. If your referring to using the zoom method only the Epson 5040ub and JVC's have power lens memory that can zoom a 2:40 letterboxed image onto a 2:40 screen. Some of the other pixel shifters may have enough manual zoom range but not likely enough lens shift to use the zoom method requiring an A lens or external processor to scale the image both expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So only JVC/Epson are my options ?

I already have the 2.35:1 screen installed ( 128", 54" high, at around 12" from the ceiling). The projector will be at 19' from the screen, mount on the ceiling.

I hear the Optoma UHD65 does project 2.35:1. I am just trying to see what's the best route. I don't want to go Epson route as is more expensive than the Optoma UHD50/1 and is not 4k.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The issue with a 2:35 screen is you need to be able to display a 16:9 image on it without loosing the top and bottom of the image. Even if all you watch is 2:35 all the menus and setup screens are in 16:9. Goto the CIH section of this forum to get into greater detail. I not going to get into the debate of whats 4K or not that's in another thread. I personally would never buy a projector for a 2:35 screen unless it has power lens memory and JVC and Epson are your only options in the under $3k range.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I use the manual zoom all the time to change from 2.35 to 16:9. It’s not that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depending on your mounting location in relation to your screen, manual zoom may not be an option. In my current setup, the 2.35:1 portion of the screen shifts down as it zooms and focus also softens. This is why power/memory zoom/focus/shift all need to be there to guarantee a seamless transition from one preset to another.

Right now, the most cost-effective 4k-ish projector with full-featured power/memory zoom/focus/shift is the Epson HC 4000, which is basically an HC 5040ub without dynamic iris. This is the route I plan on going in the next month or two when I go 2.35:1 and upgrade projector.

Reactions: theqmaster

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Depending on your mounting location in relation to your screen, manual zoom may not be an option. In my current setup, the 2.35:1 portion of the screen shifts down as it zooms and focus also softens. This is why power/memory zoom/focus/shift all need to be there to guarantee a seamless transition from one preset to another.

Right now, the most cost-effective 4k-ish projector with full-featured power/memory zoom/focus/shift is the Epson HC 4000, which is basically an HC 5040ub without dynamic iris. This is the route I plan on going in the next month or two when I go 2.35:1 and upgrade projector.
yes I'm aware I have to tilt the PJ up everytime I go to 2.35 - it's rather annoying.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
With 19' lens to screen you will need a projector which can fill both a 147" diagonal and a 110" diagonal from that distance.

The best recommendation is to get a model with motorized lens presets like the Epson 4000, 5040, or the JVC models. The JVC 420 can be found for around $2,500 and IMO will produce the best image.

All three models listed will handle the screen size and throw distance you are working with.

Take a cheaper model, like the Epson 3700, and it doesn't have the throw distance to hit a 110" diagonal size from 19' away. It needs to be no more than about 17' lens to screen to work. Then you are manually switching between 16:9 and 2.35 modes to make it work.

Not sure what you hoped your budget would be, but going 2.35 must be a well researched choice and appropriate to the room with an understanding of what projector you really must buy into.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
So only JVC/Epson are my options ?

I already have the 2.35:1 screen installed ( 128", 54" high, at around 12" from the ceiling). The projector will be at 19' from the screen, mount on the ceiling.

I hear the Optoma UHD65 does project 2.35:1. I am just trying to see what's the best route. I don't want to go Epson route as is more expensive than the Optoma UHD50/1 and is not 4k.
Agree with the above, the JVC is the way to go.

You can use webprojectorcalculator.com as it has the correct Lens Memory placement restrictions automatically calculated for lens shift positioning settings when you use the ZOOM method for 2.35 and 16:9. Change the Aspect Ratio to 2.35 (Lens Memory), and then look at the details tab to see your placement options.

Hence, you have to be careful where you mount the projector as a 2.35 screen placement using Lens Memory is more restrictive. The restriction is you cannot mount it TOO FAR above the height of the 16:9 image that fits inside the 2.35 screen, and all that within the lens shift limitations of a given projector.

The Epson has a bit more lens shift, but the JVC is the better projector.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with the above, the JVC is the way to go.

You can use webprojectorcalculator.com as it has the correct Lens Memory placement restrictions automatically calculated for lens shift positioning settings when you use the ZOOM method for 2.35 and 16:9. Change the Aspect Ratio to 2.35 (Lens Memory), and then look at the details tab to see your placement options.

Hence, you have to be careful where you mount the projector as a 2.35 screen placement using Lens Memory is more restrictive. The restriction is you cannot mount it TOO FAR above the height of the 16:9 image that fits inside the 2.35 screen, and all that within the lens shift limitations of a given projector.

The Epson has a bit more lens shift, but the JVC is the better projector.
Alright! I did run some tests here what I get

Distance: 19
Screen at 2 ft from the ground
Mount pole of 3"
JVC X590

@16:9 top of the screen has to be 1' 4" (image size 96x54)
@2.35:1 top of the screen has to be 1' 4" ( image blown on the whole screen 126x54)

If I change the mount pole to 1" I get the same data. I might have a little leg work to do, my the screen top is I think at 1' 2" from the ceiling, will re-measure soon and if that is true the only thing I can change to raise the screen ? Raising/lowering the mount pole lenght doesn't seem to change anything

Detailed Mounting Data for the JVC DLA-RS440 (X590)

Vertical Lens Shift Range for a 137" Screen (2.35)
Up to 16.2 Inches above/below the screen or anywhere within

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
If I change the mount pole to 1" I get the same data. I might have a little leg work to do, my the screen top is I think at 1' 2" from the ceiling, will re-measure soon and if that is true the only thing I can change to raise the screen ? Raising/lowering the mount pole lenght doesn't seem to change anything
[/I]
Thanks for the update...

Not sure I follow the question, but raising/lowering the mount pole length changes only the mount pole length, this is because the Req. Ceiling Height is based on the screen size rather than the pole length (because you can still move the mount pole down more with larger screens and use more/less lens shift).

Meaning you can lower the projector as much as you need to for extra mount pole length, since the JVC has plenty of lens shift. But yes, this does not change anything else.

I am not sure the minimum mount pole length as it varies with every mount, there is a Chief mount that most use. I do not enter the Min Mount Length data into the PJ Calculator for individual projectors, it is just telling you what your mount pole length range is that will fit within the boundary (move the Pj with the V-Shift slider to adjust the pole length). Many mounts need at least several inches.

I know this can be confusing, in a future version, I may devise a clearer way of representing this in the Calculator, but I am not sure there is one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was trying to understand what parameter I need to alter if my screen is mounted a bit higher (besides the screen height)

Oh, you are the dev for it! Great job!!!!
Can I dare to recommend you one thing. I think would be useful, when switching between aspect ratios, to keep the screen height constant.

·
Registered
306 Posts
bla bla bla...

just adjust for optimum 2.35:1 picture and leave it at that. even 16:9 movies look splendid on 2.35:1 setup. yes, you will miss some of the picture, but the overall effect will be more than worth it.

and yes - no projector does native 2.35:1. for that you will need (expensive) lenses which slide in front of the projector lenses.

my 2 plebian cents

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use an Epson 3010. Manually adjust my zoom level anytime I want to watch a 2:35/2.40 film. My projector sits on a stand. The projector is placed 32' back, and places the image on the screen which is 88" tall, 210" wide. The stand pivots so I can compensate for not having lens shift.
So far, I have been keeping an eye on the UHD60 as it fits what i am looking for. 4K, 3000lms, HDR.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use an Epson 3010. Manually adjust my zoom level anytime I want to watch a 2:35/2.40 film. My projector sits on a stand. The projector is placed 32' back, and places the image on the screen which is 88" tall, 210" wide. The stand pivots so I can compensate for not having lens shift.
So far, I have been keeping an eye on the UHD60 as it fits what i am looking for. 4K, 3000lms, HDR.
there is a newer Optoma UHD50 and is cheaper, less lumens
  • Brightness of 2400 ANSI Lumens
  • UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) Resolution
  • HDR10 Compatible
So you think I should just zoom in to fill 126" wide and don't care about it top and bottom part or zoom it manually.
The screen is 16" from ceiling, looks at the proper height based on the calculation from http://webprojectorcalculator.com/ (btw the site is down)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bla bla bla...

just adjust for optimum 2.35:1 picture and leave it at that. even 16:9 movies look splendid on 2.35:1 setup. yes, you will miss some of the picture, but the overall effect will be more than worth it.

and yes - no projector does native 2.35:1. for that you will need (expensive) lenses which slide in front of the projector lenses.

my 2 plebian cents
So if I display 126" wide (the screen width) I get the image height of 71" in a 16:9 ratio. So that would cut 8.5" top and bottom. Manual zoom in/out could be a option but I'd get tired of that soon. enough

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You get a maximum of 30% lens shift over the height of the screen with the JVC. Since 16:9 actually uses only 54" of height, you can get, at most, the center of the lens about 16.2" above the top edge of the screen.

Do the math on that. The top of your screen to the ceiling, less 16.2" is where the center of the lens of the RS440 projector may be. I would drop it at least a few inches lower than that at the very least.

This will give you the lens shift and positioning your need for your screen.

Your 19' lens to screen throw distance is well within the allowed range.

Assuming a typical Chief RPMAU mount of about 3" in height, plus about 3" to the lens, you have your lens about 6" from the ceiling without any extension, which allows the top of the screen to be about 22" from the ceiling maximum. Anything beyond that will need an extension pole. One inch of pole for every inch you drop the screen down the wall.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
The V-shift bar in the calculator shows that restriction automatically, and it does it correctly for 2.35-2.40 lens memory.

If you make the screen too low, the projector will automatically move downward within the lens shift range, so NO manual calculations are necessary. As you noted, the calculator shows 16.2" of above for the V-shift in the details tab.

People should generally allow for a fudge factor, even though most MFR ratings are within tolerance, if you combine peoples' own measurements with MFR tolerance, there can be quite an error.

What the calculator will not show is if you make the Mounting Pole the wrong size for a given mount.
That's just not possible to do because it depends on what mount someone is using.

It does at least give them a better idea than trying to calculate it manually, as the chance of making a mistake with a manual calculation for a NEWCOMER is so high that I would not recommend it. I would suggest going over the numbers with a dealer, unless you are a person that deals with a lot of measurements quite often.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts