AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Looking for your advise.

I own around 300 music CDs (classical, Pop, R&B, Rock etc...). I'm currently using a Yamaha 5 disc changer (CDC-697) with a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s (v4) and an Anthem Integrated 225.

I guess I have several questions:

1. How good is the Yamaha CD player - Is it worth upgrading?

2. Are there other CD players out there which would be a better match for my speakers and AMP - resulting in improved sound?

I'm looking to spend between US$ 1,000 & US$ 2,500 on the CD player. Obviously, less would be better.

·
Banned
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo dude /forum/post/16978565

Hi folks

Looking for your advise.

I own around 300 music CDs (classical, Pop, R&B, Rock etc...). I'm currently using a Yamaha 5 disc changer (CDC-697) with a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s (v4) and an Anthem Integrated 225.

2. Are there other CD players out there which would be a better match for my speakers and AMP - resulting in improved sound?

I'm looking to spend between US$ 1,000 & US$ 2,500 on the CD player. Obviously, less would be better.

Try the "Search" function here. You'll get tons of info on CD players.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Yamaha is an OK player.. i had a Yamaha CDC changer as one of my first audiophile CDP's.. however.. once I got into Pioneer Elite.. those sounded way better.

Now I own an Arcam Cd73 and that smokes all of them. Anyways.. in the price range you are considering.. go listen to an Arcam CD37 and let me know what you think.. the Arcam sound is very listenable with no fatique or "digital" sound...ver analog like sound.... everything just sounds right... it is the best sounding CDP i have ever heard.. of course ,,, thats just my opinion.. so do some research on the Arcam CDP's..!

Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
So with respect to the Arcam: If he's connecting his player to the receiver via digital out and therefore using the Yamaha as a transport, would spending a grand or whatever on that Arcam make a sonic difference from what he has now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm connecting my existing Yamaha CD player to the Anthem amplifier using RCA cables.

The Anthem's has no digital inputs it's basically a Preamp and two channel (stereo) amplifier in a single box.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 /forum/post/16979621

The Yamaha is an OK player.. i had a Yamaha CDC changer as one of my first audiophile CDP's.. however.. once I got into Pioneer Elite.. those sounded way better.

Now I own an Arcam Cd73 and that smokes all of them. Anyways.. in the price range you are considering.. go listen to an Arcam CD37 and let me know what you think.. the Arcam sound is very listenable with no fatique or "digital" sound...ver analog like sound.... everything just sounds right... it is the best sounding CDP i have ever heard.. of course ,,, thats just my opinion.. so do some research on the Arcam CDP's..!

Mike

How do you know the Pio is better than the Yammy and that the Arcam is better than both? DBT? Level match? Time synch?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo dude /forum/post/16978565

Hi folks

Looking for your advise.

You might go this way:

"H/K DMC-1000 on clearance"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...526&highlight=

Cheers

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hmm, if the Yamaha is not broken or 20 years old and if it and your receiver have optical connections why not connect via optical which will improve sound dramatically. $2000 on a CD player? It's your money, but I am wondering if there is a ceiling on DACs and other parts? I guess I am wondering if it's possible that a $200 or $300 player can have the same DAC and parts as a $2000 player? Just curious.

If you want a changer the Onkyo C-390 is quite nice actually, especially if you connect via optical. The only down-side to it is that it has a remote with tiny buttons and no calendar (which I liked in the other players I've had, but oh well). It holds 6 discs by the way and will also play MP3 on discs and display info.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rega makes some great CD players that I would highly recommend. A little bit more, but with a balanced connection, the Krell SACD is a great SACD player as well. Not sure how it will pair with the Anthem, but combined with the Krell 400xi (my setup) it is amazing.

Here is Stereophile's review of the Rega Apollo.
http://stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/

Review of SACD Standard (older version, transport has been upgraded since this article).
http://stereophile.com/hirezplayers/1203krell/

Check out Audiogon, great place to find deals on equipment like this.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
is a balanced analog connection possible in your setup? would you want to use the internal DAC for streaming?

if you want the dac option (and be able to send streamed music through it)you could consider the cambridge 840 (1500ish)which is in your price range.

if not the rega (1k) is a good option. the emotiva erc-1 (399) maybe an overperformer for the price. the marantz 8003 is a great stereo sacd/cdp (1k). the new bryston cdp (2500ish) is supposed to be good and it is at the top of your price range. arcam is always a good option for digital gear.

you could also use something like the musical fidelity, benchmark, or ps audio dac (all under 1200 i believe) using the yamaha as a transport. that would outsource the data conversion and potentially give you a bit more aq at a significant cost savings.

·
Banned
2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/17137018

is a balanced analog connection possible in your setup?

Why bother with balanced line level connection for home use? All that odd harmonics added by the balanced circuit, it's a degradation to sound quality.

Quote:
you could also use something like the musical fidelity, benchmark, or ps audio dac (all under 1200 i believe) using the yamaha as a transport. that would outsource the data conversion and potentially give you a bit more aq at a significant cost savings.

There's no need to spend that kind of money on external DAC for audio quality. Even cheap CDPs these days have high quality DAC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would like to add a cd player to my system that I can program.

Here is what I would like to do: i.e Same CD -- Play tracks 1, 5,6, 8, 13 only on Monday, then play only tracks 2,3, 5,6, 10, 16 on Tuesday.

Any suggestions for a "programable" cd player?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre Sordid /forum/post/17142820

Would like to add a cd player to my system that I can program.

Here is what I would like to do: i.e Same CD -- Play tracks 1, 5,6, 8, 13 only on Monday, then play only tracks 2,3, 5,6, 10, 16 on Tuesday.

Any suggestions for a "programable" cd player?

For $399 you might go this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/16986407

"H/K DMC-1000 on clearance"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173524

FWIW title and ref are mixed.

The above ref is valid.

The DMC-1000 has an original list price of $3k, and in my recent ownership experience is top stuff for 2 channel playback from quiet HDD (hard disk drive) playback.

For playing odd lists of various tracks from either the same CD or mixed CD discs, try the "playlist" option on the DMC-1000; which I openly admit that I've not yet tried.

Just trying to be helpful with a great closeout deal that I've found very helpful for myself.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
OtherSongs

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll go looking for an available DMC-1000. I could not find one at HK (non-list price)

I checked out the on-line manual and it does say that one can play a playlist, change a playlist, or create a one-time queue/playlist.

Certainly seems to be what I was looking for.

More as it happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts