AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, The last time this was discussed was in 2007 in this thread..
avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=865993

..where the net recommendation was to go look for a JVC SR-MV40US.

A lot has changed since then. What would you recommend now?

BACKGROUND

My SVHS deck, JVC HR-S9800U, died. In the meantime, the world has changed around it. I now have a 1080p LG plasma with HDMI, component, and composite inputs. I need a new recorder or player, DVD or hard disk or Bluray, than can also play my old SVHS recordings.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I don't think there were any made after the JVC model. Your best bet would be separate devices.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
 Hyperlink to your thread

A lot has changed from '07 when that thread was made. Basically the only company making combo DVDRs anymore would be Panasonic, with it's dreaded EZ-48v and maybe slightly better EA-38v. Both are Quasi S-VHS playback which you don't want(and I can understand why).

In 2010 your only option in the US would be a quality used S-VHS player hooked up to something like a Panasonic EZ-28, EA-18 or maybe a Magnavox 515 if you wanted a HDD.

While in '07 a few quality combos were still around, '06 model year was probably the last year of such a product.

JVC has a few in their archives but nothing new.
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/qml/asp_qml.asp?tId=none

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the responses thus far.

If I go separate devices, does it make sense to shoot for one of the digital VHS recorders that also read SVHS, such as these:

JVC HM-DH30000U DVHS VCR

Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U DVHS

?

Or should just look for an SVHS deck

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Mitsubishi SVHS deck would be easier to find and cheaper, but the DVHS one is great if you can get ahold of one. I wouldn't expect to pay less than $150, and probably closer to $200.

I bought my HS-U748 for about $40 shipped off eBay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.