AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the GF and I have agreed on a “budget†of $2000 total for a screen in the living room. I’ve got digital cable (may be able to get a cable card) I’m going to connect my HTPC via DVI (ATI AIW Pro 9800) to it running some front end (medio / M$MC etc.) I plan to do but mostly music streaming / digital TV / DVD / a little web surfing in that order. The music will take care of itself but the video is important. I would like an HD plasma or a LCD but neither are in the budget (I don’t think). Any suggestions? I’ve been very wary of plasma as with the burn in issue but from what I’ve read if you pay attention burn in won’t be much of a problem. The viewing distance is about 12 feet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just a hair over your price range, but well worth the investment would be a 42" Panasonic plasma, either commercial or consumer.

Consumer will be a tad bit more expensive, but come with some nice add-ons. Other than the add-ons, both screen are essentially the same.

Burn-in is a bit of an issue with extended computer work, but refer to the burn-in forum for info on this.

If you do your homework here and other sites such as *******************.com, you can then go to a B&M store and make your choice based on your seeing the monitors themselves.

Research, research & more research is what I would recommend as a noob, because what you see or find value in will be much different than lots of others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered the NEC 42VM5, which is considered by some to be as good as the Panasonic 7UY. Both are supposed to be killer, but the NEC is a couple of hundred cheaper, considering that it has a DVI input, the way to get the best digital connection. I'll post when the NEC is set up to give a review.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There have been several posts on the falling prices of Plasma TVs including the thread: $1000 plasmas by 2006 .

It won't be too long until some major brands hit $2k (My approved spending limit as well). Stick with Panasonic, NEC, JVC, Hitachi and maybe even the new zenith. There are some other brands under $2k - but their picture quality, contrast ratio and feature set do not equal some of the major brands.

JCPZero

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok deal major brands, i'll remember that. It seems that this board is VERY friendly to panasonic plasma's. But i'm glad to hear about the other recomendations. NEC apeals to me because of some past history with the company. Same with JVC.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Comp USA has their killer deal on a Daewoo, which is essentially the NEC w/ a Daewoo sticker on it still going.

I should be in you price range.

·
Registered
241 Posts
yesterday at the bestbuy store I saw a 42" Plasma called "Maxent" WTF?>?> Only $$$$ - plus best buy gives 18 months no interest comes to about $100 a month Back the truck up - Maxent >?>? no one in the TV section had a clue who the parent company was -but it was sitting next to a panasonic and a NEC and with the caned DV picture it was hard to tell the differents -

Turns out its made by Zenith - 7 model now Zenith is no Sony but they are damn good (making monitors and tvs for years and who knows where they are getting there "TECH" "PARTS FROM"

I have a 60 inch RPTV now but that 42 EDTV would sure look good in my Computer game room "AKA bedroom" LOL

best buy's weekend sales has another new player "LG" ?? LG is Korea company formerly know as goldstar started 1958

Color TV plant in Huntsville in the US established

199 - LG-Philips LCD, a joint venture with Philips, established

2003 - World's first synchronous-asynchronous IMT-2000 mobile phone developed; the world's largest 76-inch PDP TV developed; CDMA mobile handsets took the largest share in the US CDMA market

OK so we know who they are - they are offering 60-52 inch LCDs for $33-3500 dollars so like you said prices are on the down swing maybe faster then we know LOL now how do the specs and viewing compare ?

Your turn to decide

Two Cents

[MSRP ONLY]

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dusty144
Comp USA has their killer deal on a Daewoo, which is essentially the NEC w/ a Daewoo sticker on it still going.

I should be in you price range.
If you go for a budget plasma - that is OK as long as you are an informed buyer. Here is a thread on the Daewoo, including how to tell if it does (or does not) have nec glass: Daewoo Thread

Before buying any plasma, especially daewoo, viewsonic, norcent, sva, akai - do your research on the model. What inputs does it have, DVI HDCP compliant? The latest connection is HDMI which includes audio and video, I don't think you'll find a sub $2K plasma with HDMI. What is the contrast ratio. The panasonics, JVC, Hitachi, NEC, new Zenith all have at least 3000:1 CR. Skip the older technology with 1000:1 contrast ratio (CR). What is the picture quality? How does it handle Standard Definition? Does it have anti-glare glass?

Check out the different models and write down the model numbers and search the avs forums for comments. A hint to using the search function, change field from last 2 days to last year.

JCPZero

·
Registered
145 Posts
There has also been a thread on here recently about the Zenith 42" EDTV. Seemed to get pretty favorable comments and is near your price point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jcpzero: thanks for the search tip that has helped. That 3000:1 ratio is a good tip but an edtv with 3000:1 in my price range eeek

The only one I've found is the pany TH-42PWD7UY (so far negoticating shipping included or not in the budget :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by phreaknes
the pany doesnt have a DVI input! this is the first 42" plasma that doesnt have a HDMI or DVI imput! thats weird.
Not weird, it's a professional monitor - not a TV. Its consumer model counterpart does bring HDMI. The professional monitor does provide an empty slot for the DVI optional module.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Quote:
the pany doesnt have a DVI input! this is the first 42" plasma that doesnt have a HDMI or DVI imput! thats weird.
Its a commercial plasma that offers the user flexibility. You can purchase the "Blades" with the connections that you need. They offer DVI or HDMI and some other neat "Blades" if you have the need.

Dave

·
Registered
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smcutler
I just ordered the NEC 42VM5, which is considered by some to be as good as the Panasonic 7UY. Both are supposed to be killer, but the NEC is a couple of hundred cheaper, considering that it has a DVI input, the way to get the best digital connection. I'll post when the NEC is set up to give a review.
We are really looking forward to your review of the NEC asap (-;

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
ne1 know the contrast ratio of the NEC 42VM5
I cannot find a posted contrast ratio for the NEC. Even so I would not worry about the CR on this set based on user reviews of NEC 42" plasmas.

The best I could find was a quote for the NEC 42VP4 "The highest contrast rate under bright conditions in the industry*

Superior contrast rate under bright conditions is achieved as a result of efforts to pursue higher visibility under bright lights or in the sunlight. The PlasmaSync produces vivid, sharp video images regardless of the environmental conditions.

*As of October 2003

Here is a link:
Plasmasync NEC

JCPZero

·
Registered
934 Posts
Here are the unofficial contrast ratios for NEC displays. I cannot post a link due to forum rules.

42VM5 1300:1

42VP5 1300:1

42XM3 1500:1

50XM4 1500:1

61XM3 1000:1

84VP5 1000:1

42VR5 1300:1

42XR3 1500:1

50XR4 1500:1

61XR3 1000:1

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
LG Electronics is also the maker of Zenith stuff now, they bought the name years ago. I get a kick out of ads on TV that push some old brand name and say "its a name you can trust" but don't tell you that name is now owned by some Korean or Chinese company nowadays!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not only that, but its nearly impossible to determine exactly how each manufacturer measures contrast ratio.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.