AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming over from Dish VIP722. I know Verison FIOS supports cableCARD. I have personally never tried TIVO but always heard positive reviews. but on other hand:

I love Vista media center with its sleak interface and NO FEE advance DVR functnality and recently CableCard tuner have been cracked to use with any Vista PC. I already have Xbox as extender. more can be scored under $100

so my question:

1 - What are main cons and pro of going with verizon with Windows Media Center or TIVO? has anyone tried both setup? liked one over another?

2 - Are there any known MAJOR bug issues with cableCARD that I should be aware of before I jump ship?

3 - Where can I buy ATI Digital Cable Tuner? besides eBay and also do I have to have PID in order to make it work?

4 - Is my PC powerful enough? if not, what should I improve?
  • Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+
  • 3GB DDR2
  • ATI HD3450 with 512MB RAM
  • Xbox 360 Hardwired with CAT5
  • WEI rating of 4.1
  • 32 bit Vista Ultimate
5 - How many ATI tuner I need to have dual tuner setup ? 2?

6 - I read somewhere that M- cablecard is dual tuner card. Is it solution for #5 with Verizon FIOS in DFW, TX market?

Thanks for feedback.

P.S. I hope someone can provide some input. I realize most of conversation here are on advance issues. If I am asking in wrong area please let me know where to go....Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccuser /forum/post/16950332

1 - What are main cons and pro of going with verizon with Windows Media Center or TIVO? has anyone tried both setup? liked one over another?

2 - Are there any known MAJOR bug issues with cableCARD that I should be aware of before I jump ship?

3 - Where can I buy ATI Digital Cable Tuner? besides eBay and also do I have to have PID in order to make it work?

4 - Is my PC powerful enough? if not, what should I improve?
  • Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+
  • 3GB DDR2
  • ATI HD3450 with 512MB RAM
  • Xbox 360 Hardwired with CAT5
  • WEI rating of 4.1
  • 32 bit Vista Ultimate
5 - How many ATI tuner I need to have dual tuner setup ? 2?

6 - I read somewhere that M- cablecard is dual tuner card. Is it solution for #5 with Verizon FIOS in DFW, TX market?

1. Its a personal preference. I am happy with Vista MC.

2. The only issues are no Video On Demand. I have also noticed that when I do a 30-second forward or backward skip, the screen gets pixelated for a second then returns to normal.

3. eBay only.

4. Yes

5. One tuner, one live stream

6. The ATI tuner is a single stream tuner. A dual stream card won't work (I believe).

Read this article carefully:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/05/12...-media-center/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.